Frontpage or ASP.Net?

Rene

I am totally clueless about Microsoft FrontPage and I would like to know if
anyone could tell me if there are any particular benefits when using
FrontPage versus using ASP.Net

Thanks for your help.

Karl Seguin

You can't compare frontpage to asp.net.

Frontpage is a tool for designing websites.

ASP.Net is a programming language (or atleast a component of a larger
framework).

It's akin to saying should I use Word, or use
_whatever_programming_language_you_know_like_VB

You can use FrontPage to help work in ASP.Net, but my guess is that this
isn't a well traveled route. Most programmers use VS.Net, and most
designers use Dreamweaver.

Karl

Rene

I guess what I was trying to get out of my question was to realize how fancy
can you get with Front Page before having to turn to ASP.Net. Assuming that
I don't have to run any fancy code on the server or that I am trying to
create any special utility program such as programming my own Bulleting
Board website or something similar. Is it better to go with Front Page?

I was also wondering if making your regular website is a lot easier to do
with FrontPage than with ASP.Net.

Thanks.

clintonG

Hello Rene,

If you're this clueless -- which you are -- you should get started with
Visual Web Developer and SQL Server Express [1] if you want to get started
with web development -- or -- you should choose FrontPage if you just want
to layout and publish some basic web pages.

The answer you got in the FrontPage newsgroup was misleading. ASP.NET is not
a scripting language as you were miseld to mistakenly believe. Copy and
paste [2] into a textbox to search using Google or MSN and you'll get good
defintions of what ASP.NET actually is. Read several definitions.

I recommend you do the work to learn C# when developing ASP.NET applications
as all web developers must master JavaScript and both C# and JavaScript
share the same syntax and grammar. You'll soon be learning C# is used
'server-side' and JavaScript used 'client-side.' The difference being
client-side is when your web page needs dynamic funtionality when the page
is already loaded into the browser and server-side is processed on the web
server which builds the page and sends it to the browser for display.

I also recommend learning the C# programming language using a textbook such
as "C# A Programmer's Introduction" from Deitel & Deitel [3]. Once you
learn the C# language you can learn to start applying it by using the
ASP.NET 2.0 QuickStarts [4].

This may be too much for you at the moment but save this reply to disk for
reference and perhaps get started by learning some HTML and authoring some
basic web page layouts -- there's thousands of tutorials around -- and then
come back to this advice when your ready to move forward to learn web
development.

You've got a lot of challenging but rewarding hard work ahead of you.
Persevere.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx
[2] definition: ASP.NET
[3] [ http://www.deitel.com | http://www.prenhall.com/deitel/ ]
[4] http://beta.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/default.aspx

Rene

Thanks Clinton.

Actually, I already know how to use C#. I am not going to say that I am an
expert but I have a pretty good understanding of it. My problem is that all
my development has been done for Windows apps and very little, and I mean
VERY little using ASP.Net.

Anyway, I developed a website using a program called Namo but its very
frustrating to use and keeps screwing up my format so I thought I would use
Front Page thinking that the learning curve would be very low and I could
get on with it right away rather than having to spend a couple of weeks
learning the intricacies of ASP.Net.

I always thought of ASP.Net as a tool that I would use if I was making
things such as designing my own bulleting-board web software, a blogger type
of software etc. I don't usually think of ASP.Net for a regular site such as
the www.starbucks.com for example.

That's why I wanted to inquire a little more about Front Page and its
capabilities.

Thanks.

Rene said:
I am totally clueless about Microsoft FrontPage and I would like to know
if anyone could tell me if there are any particular benefits when using
FrontPage versus using ASP.Net

Thanks for your help.

Hans Merkl

Actually www.starbucks.com uses ASP.NET. You can see that from the
extension "aspx". For example:
http://www.starbucks.com/retail/locator/default.aspx

Rene said:
I am totally clueless about Microsoft FrontPage and I would like to know
if anyone could tell me if there are any particular benefits when using
FrontPage versus using ASP.Net

Thanks for your help.

Greg Burns

It uses some ASP.NET, and some classic ASP.

But I think we can all probably agree that the design and layout was NOT
done using VS.NET. :^)

Greg

Rene

Yes, I noticed it was developed with ASP. I did that on purpose to show a
site that was developed using ASP that I would not expect not to see
develpoed using ASP (I am terrible about explaining myself!!).

I really have to pick up an ASP book and learn this thing, I just know it
will take me a couple of weeks to finish reading a book to gain enough
knowledge to be able to do what I need to do. Or maybe after reading the
first 2 chapters I would be OK!

Any books that you guys recommend?

Hans Merkl said:
Actually www.starbucks.com uses ASP.NET. You can see that from the
extension "aspx". For example:
http://www.starbucks.com/retail/locator/default.aspx

I always thought of ASP.Net as a tool that I would use if I was making
things such as designing my own bulleting-board web software, a blogger
type
of software etc. I don't usually think of ASP.Net for a regular site such
as
the www.starbucks.com for example.

That's why I wanted to inquire a little more about Front Page and its
capabilities.

Thanks.

message
[...]

Jon Paal

go to www.asp.net and look into the tutorials and downloads for visual web developer.

It takes a lot of downloads to get it all set up, but once it is in place, then the vwd application provides some good video
training materials as well as a microsoft ebook. Plan to spend some time up front but it will far surpass FrontPage.

clintonG

You don't need a book. What you need is to learn how to read better.

I told you about the QuickStarts. Since you know C# already go to the
QuickStarts and learn how to use controls with the framework. Learn forms
authentication as it is manifested by the Membership, Roles and Profiles and
get familiar with the rest of this release. Again, the introduction is in
the QuickStarts.

As you go through the QuickStarts which books you need to read will make
themselves evident as you are going to be looking for topical information
from books. Furthermore -- but for one exception I know of at the moment --
because the most recent 2.0 books have not started hitting the shelves
yet -- you can go to Amazon and check out the 1st one authored by Dino
Esposito and published by MS Press. Dino is one of the brightest developers
and an author of world renown. Other 2.0 books are sure to follow in the
next few weeks.

Hans Merkl said:
[...]

Jeremy.

Here are some fundamentals that, once understood - even at a basic level -
will help ASP.NET make a lot more sense to you. I'd strongly suggest
focusing specifically on these topics at least for a couple of hours each
before moving on to ASP.NET, itself. If you aren't patient enough to do
this, then be on the constant lookout for each of the following and the role
each is playing in your ASP.NET applications.

1. HTTP (3-way handshake, etc.)
2. The request/response model
3. state management
4. Client-side logic and scripting vs. Server-side.
5. HTML and CSS (content and layout vs. styling)
6. The role of IIS (or the "Web server" of choice if not an ASP.NET Web
site)
7. Browser variations and limitations

-HTH

Hans Merkl said:
[...]

Kevin Spencer

I really have to pick up an ASP book and learn this thing, I just know it
will take me a couple of weeks to finish reading a book to gain enough
knowledge to be able to do what I need to do. Or maybe after reading the
first 2 chapters I would be OK!

You're fooling yourself, Rene. First, ASP and ASP.Net are not the same
thing. If you expect to be developing a web application in a couple of
weeks, forget about ASP.Net. Start with ASP. It is *much* simpler. ASP.Net
takes at least months to get familiar with, and years to master. No
combination of gee-whiz tools will change this.

Check out the microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general newsgroup to find out
more about ASP. Also, the following section of the MSDN Library online has
lots of help regarding ASP:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/activeservpages.asp?frame=true

--
HTH,