Frontpage Server Extension a security problem?

Arne

Some years ago we were told by Microsoft that Frontpage Server Extension
outside the firewall could be a possible security hole. Maybe some has
invented a password guessing program that use Frontpage Server Extension.

Is Frontpage Server Extension still a security problem?

WJ

Is Frontpage Server Extension still a security problem?

Everything is not safe unless you close port# 80 or pull off your network
cable. You will need to patch your products based on Microsoft security
guideline. You will need to consult with Best Practice manuals available in
MS/Home page. For me, I ran MS/Lockdown tool first, then gradually
opened/enabled things that I need. Yes, I have been running FPSE on NT 4
boxes and they appear pretty stable and reasonably safe (with all the
patches applied). I now switch to SS (sharepoint service), it is better than
FPSE.

John

Arne

Hi John,

What editor does Sharepoint service interface with? How can I use Sharepoint
service?
What port is Frontpage Server Extension using?
Arne

WJ

Arne said:
Hi John,

What editor does Sharepoint service interface with? How can I use
Sharepoint
service?

It is just a web site that is created during the installation of WSS. To use
the WSS, you at least must upgrade your box to Windows 2003 Standard Server
Edition. Click here to download WSS:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/sharepoint/wss.mspx
What port is Frontpage Server Extension using?

When you configure a Website with FPSE, the port will be assigned
automatically for you.

BTW: WSS will eventually replace FPSE (According to MS), don't know when !

John