    outside the firewall could be a possible security hole. Maybe some has
    invented a password guessing program that use Frontpage Server Extension.

    Is Frontpage Server Extension still a security problem?
    Arne, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Arne

    WJ Guest

    "Arne" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Is Frontpage Server Extension still a security problem?

    Everything is not safe unless you close port# 80 or pull off your network
    cable. You will need to patch your products based on Microsoft security
    guideline. You will need to consult with Best Practice manuals available in
    MS/Home page. For me, I ran MS/Lockdown tool first, then gradually
    opened/enabled things that I need. Yes, I have been running FPSE on NT 4
    boxes and they appear pretty stable and reasonably safe (with all the
    patches applied). I now switch to SS (sharepoint service), it is better than
    FPSE.

    John
    WJ, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Arne

    Arne Guest

    Hi John,

    What editor does Sharepoint service interface with? How can I use Sharepoint
    service?
    What port is Frontpage Server Extension using?
    Arne

    Arne, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Arne

    WJ Guest

    "Arne" <> wrote in message
    > Hi John,
    >
    > What editor does Sharepoint service interface with? How can I use
    > Sharepoint
    > service?

    It is just a web site that is created during the installation of WSS. To use
    the WSS, you at least must upgrade your box to Windows 2003 Standard Server
    Edition. Click here to download WSS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/sharepoint/wss.mspx

    > What port is Frontpage Server Extension using?

    When you configure a Website with FPSE, the port will be assigned
    automatically for you.

    BTW: WSS will eventually replace FPSE (According to MS), don't know when !

    John
    WJ, Jan 24, 2005