Frontpage

Blinky the Shark

Edwin said:
rf said:
Roy said:
Yep. I use it [FP] all the time. It makes a mighty fine FTP client
I recommend KDE and Konqueror if you were ever to consider Linux?

Given that I just said I use FP (FTP only) what would make you think I would
ever consider linux? I use Windows. I have to. It is my target market. My
bread and butter.
Why not using smartftp, it's also free.

Another good freebie (and I used SmartFTP before I switched): LeechFTP.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Edwin van der Vaart quothed:

What a coincidence. In 2003 I got an office and a secretary of similar
characteristic.

It's nice that at least your secretary was useful...

Roy Schestowitz

_____/ On Friday 26 August 2005 05:07, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \_____
Hmmm. I would've never thought to use a browser.

I used to use gFTP, and used kbear for a while, but found it buggy.

I use gFTP because it's multi-threaded. It is relatively reliable too,
running on Fedora Core II. I haven't used KBear, but I have it installed.
As soon as I post this message, I'll go and give it a go.

Then when I checked out the Firefox FireFTP extension, I liked it and
have been using it ever since.

That FireFTP extension is getting my site about 500 visitors a month (I
wrote about it when it came out). It is rather buggy though. I use it only
at home when I make my bi-weekly backup of new photos. I just need to open
a new tab and toss it in some Webspace. Very efficient...

Wait! I said I'd never have thought about using a browser...

Well, I'm not *exactly* using a browser. ;)

Datapoint: Mandrake/KDE here.

Try KDE. You can't beat drag-and-drop that's also multi-threaded. I think my
version of KDE (3.1) does not support secure FTP authentication though, so
I can't use KDE alone. That's why I sometimes use gFTP.

Hey, what's that called?

Open a location in File Management mode, Top menu -> Tools -> Create Image
gallery.

With some enhancements, you can produce some beautiful pages, handling
thousands of pictures with just the command-line.

One among many...

http://www.schestowitz.com/Family_Photos/Webcam/2005/07/10072005/images.html

All generated by the Übergreat KDE.

Roy

Blinky the Shark

\_____
Hmmm. I would've never thought to use a browser.

I used to use gFTP, and used kbear for a while, but found it buggy.

I use gFTP because it's multi-threaded. It is relatively reliable too,
running on Fedora Core II. I haven't used KBear, but I have it
installed. As soon as I post this message, I'll go and give it a go.

It really pissed me off. The bugs were just frustrating. The
Full-Strength Over-The-Top-Deal Killer was that some kind of site
management utility would pop up in my kicker bar and WOULD NOT DIE. I'd
kill the process and it'd start right back up. It was The Util From
Hell. Believe it or not, even after I uninstalled kBear, I think that
util's bin was still there and I had to track the little bastard down
and remove it by hand. Grrrrr!
That FireFTP extension is getting my site about 500 visitors a month
(I wrote about it when it came out). It is rather buggy though. I use
it only at home when I make my bi-weekly backup of new photos. I just
need to open a new tab and toss it in some Webspace. Very efficient...

The only thing I've seen with the version I have <clickety> (0.88.3) is
that once in a while I'll come back to it after not using it for a long
time, and it will still show as connected when it's really not. That
just requires me to click Disconnect before hitting Connect, so it's
not really even an aggravation for me.
Try KDE. You can't beat drag-and-drop that's also multi-threaded. I

Try it? I've used it every day for three years. :)
think my version of KDE (3.1) does not support secure FTP
authentication though, so I can't use KDE alone. That's why I
sometimes use gFTP.

Open a location in File Management mode, Top menu -> Tools -> Create
Image gallery.

No such animal. KDE 3.1.3 / Konq 3.1.4.
With some enhancements, you can produce some beautiful pages, handling
thousands of pictures with just the command-line.

One among many...

http://www.schestowitz.com/Family_Photos/Webcam/2005/07/10072005/images.html

All generated by the Übergreat KDE.

I must have a crippled trial copy. ;)

Roy Schestowitz

_____/ On Friday 26 August 2005 07:04, [mbstevens] wrote : \_____
I see this kind of FTP discussion a lot.
Have a look at
http://www.mbstevens.com/cgi/mkatt.pl?name=huh/Rube
which contains some grumblings about the best FTP client.

the term 'FTP' only appears 4 times in a single comment on this page. Are
you sure that's the right discussion you were pointing at? I put up a much
broader summary in the 1st of the month <
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/01/firefox-ftp/ > and even
did some comparison with the Win32 clients.

I wish they was one client that incorporated the best of all: queueing,
multi-threading, browser embedment, secure password authentication,
Norton/Midnight commander-like interface.

Roy

Roy Schestowitz

_____/ On Friday 26 August 2005 08:55, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \_____
It really pissed me off. The bugs were just frustrating. The
Full-Strength Over-The-Top-Deal Killer was that some kind of site
management utility would pop up in my kicker bar and WOULD NOT DIE. I'd
kill the process and it'd start right back up. It was The Util From
Hell. Believe it or not, even after I uninstalled kBear, I think that
util's bin was still there and I had to track the little bastard down
and remove it by hand. Grrrrr!

You have sharp teeth. I'm sure you managed.

I tried it a couple of hours ago for the first time. I feel your pain.
Hopefully it does not consume much space. It sure was time-consuming.

The conclusion: never download programs that are called after an animal,
e.g. eMule, KBear, BonzyBuddy (if that counts as an animal)...

....with the exception of the Firefox suite...

The only thing I've seen with the version I have <clickety> (0.88.3) is
that once in a while I'll come back to it after not using it for a long
time, and it will still show as connected when it's really not. That
just requires me to click Disconnect before hitting Connect, so it's
not really even an aggravation for me.

I only use it to upload one file at a time (a compressed archive). It has
bad handling of recursive operations and it doesn't seem to be maintained
anymore. I could be wrong...

Try it? I've used it every day for three years. :)

As an FTP client, that is. Maybe I misunderstood you.

No such animal. KDE 3.1.3 / Konq 3.1.4.

Odd... I am fairly sure it's still alive in 3.4. Even with the same default
settings and colours...

I must have a crippled trial copy. ;)

have you got Pixie Plus (if not, download it). File -> Make Web Image
Gallery. Lots of widgets to play with in there... never practically used it
though because I discovered the former tool first.

Roy

Blinky the Shark

Roy said:
_____/ On Friday 26 August 2005 08:55, [Blinky the Shark] wrote :
\_____
It really pissed me off. The bugs were just frustrating. The
Full-Strength Over-The-Top-Deal Killer was that some kind of site
management utility would pop up in my kicker bar and WOULD NOT DIE.
I'd kill the process and it'd start right back up. It was The Util
From Hell. Believe it or not, even after I uninstalled kBear, I
think that util's bin was still there and I had to track the little
bastard down and remove it by hand. Grrrrr!

You have sharp teeth. I'm sure you managed.

And an insatiable appetite. :)
I tried it a couple of hours ago for the first time. I feel your pain.
Hopefully it does not consume much space. It sure was time-consuming.

The conclusion: never download programs that are called after an
animal, e.g. eMule, KBear, BonzyBuddy (if that counts as an animal)...

Speciesist! ;)

As for BonzyBuddy, I can't say that I've ever heard of a bonzi.
...with the exception of the Firefox suite...

Of course.

And Mozilla.

But no exception for Thunderbird, from what I've seen/heard.
I only use it to upload one file at a time (a compressed archive). It
has bad handling of recursive operations and it doesn't seem to be
maintained anymore. I could be wrong...

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but there *was* an
issue where it would behave badly if you uploaded multiple files in one
action and told it to overwrite all. I reported that (so did others)
and it was fixed...er...probably three months ago.

I see at least one of the devs in the help forum here, and the first
post of his I looked at is dated today.

http://fireftp.mozdev.org/forum.html/nowrap
As an FTP client, that is. Maybe I misunderstood you.

Oh! No, I lost track of the conversation. But those little mental
vacations can really pick up your energy late at night! :)
Odd... I am fairly sure it's still alive in 3.4. Even with the same
default settings and colours...

Tools
Run Command...
Open Terminal
Find File
Execute Shell Command
have you got Pixie Plus (if not, download it). File -> Make Web Image

Never heard of it. (And no real need for gallery makers; I've only
done one gallery (for a friend), and I used perl.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ On Friday 26 August 2005 09:43, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \__
Roy said:
/ On Friday 26 August 2005 08:55, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \

I tried it a couple of hours ago for the first time. I feel your pain.
Hopefully it does not consume much space. It sure was time-consuming.

The conclusion: never download programs that are called after an
animal, e.g. eMule, KBear, BonzyBuddy (if that counts as an animal)...

Speciesist! ;)

As for BonzyBuddy, I can't say that I've ever heard of a bonzi.
...with the exception of the Firefox suite...

Of course.

And Mozilla.

But no exception for Thunderbird, from what I've seen/heard.

It disappointed me only once, but it was partially my fault. I was grafting
mail from one location to another and the total volume of mail was greater
than the space available on the partition.

Luckily I mirror my hard-drive once a week, so none was lost. I wonder if
other mail clients run a check for free space and prompt the user to avoid
disaster. Maybe they just change the pointers to the physical data, but I
like to keep my folders hierarchically sorted in directories and good-ol'
_open_ MBOX format, in which case movement of mail involved plenty of
change at filesystem level.

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but there *was* an
issue where it would behave badly if you uploaded multiple files in one
action and told it to overwrite all. I reported that (so did others)
and it was fixed...er...probably three months ago.

I see at least one of the devs in the help forum here, and the first
post of his I looked at is dated today.

http://fireftp.mozdev.org/forum.html/nowrap

That is good news. Give it a few more months and we'll have a reliable
tabbed FTP client. I love JRE!

Oh! No, I lost track of the conversation. But those little mental
vacations can really pick up your energy late at night! :)

I thought it was Aussie... no idea why. Must be the west coast, but I doubt
it... maybe it's just a reference to booze and you are in fact English.

Tools
Run Command...
Open Terminal
Find File
Execute Shell Command

I have about 7 or 8 menu entries and I use KDE 3.1.1 on SuSE 8.2.

Never heard of it. (And no real need for gallery makers; I've only
done one gallery (for a friend), and I used perl.

"Used" or "re-used". I'm hoping the latter...

Roy

max

Edwin said:
rf said:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Yep. I use it [FP] all the time. It makes a mighty fine FTP client

I recommend KDE and Konqueror if you were ever to consider Linux?

Given that I just said I use FP (FTP only) what would make you think I would
ever consider linux? I use Windows. I have to. It is my target market. My
bread and butter.
Why not using smartftp, it's also free.

Another good freebie (and I used SmartFTP before I switched): LeechFTP.
http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/
dated 2000, says "no development" since then.
I use Smart FTP mainly for its refreshing the connection and ability to
delete whole directories, but I also use the last free version of ws_ftp
<smug>This was before they time-crippled it. </smug>

AF

I like NVU. The latest version has better code than previous versions,
nice and clean. NVU also has a CSS editor built in. You can toggle
between wsiwyg and html too. One thing I don't care for is the default
"text" behavior which inserts a <br> at every carriage return. Simply
choosing "paragragh" from the menu at the top will generate <p> </p>
tags when a carriage return is entered though.

It's free and I suggest those using FP download it and try it out.

Regards,

Thanks for the post. I got NVU and have played with it some. It
looks good. I will continue t experiment with it, and hopefully it
will help me replace FP.

I appreciate your post a lot.

Best regards,

Al
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanbestmortgages.com
http://www.americanaffordablelifeinsurance.com

AF

For matching colors, I use ColorZilla:
<http://www.iosart.com/firefox/colorzilla/>. For picking new colors, I
tend to use Inkscape's <http://inkscape.org/> color editor.

Thanks for the post. I have downloaded the above, and I have played
with it a little. It looks very useful. I just need to use it some
more.

Thanks again. And this is why I love these newsgroups, i.e. to get
hel;p like this.

Roy said:
__/ On Friday 26 August 2005 09:43, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \__
Oh! No, I lost track of the conversation. But those little mental
vacations can really pick up your energy late at night! :)

I thought it was Aussie... no idea why. Must be the west coast, but I doubt
it... maybe it's just a reference to booze and you are in fact English.

I'm in Los Angeles, USA.
I have about 7 or 8 menu entries and I use KDE 3.1.1 on SuSE 8.2.

I'll pass on downgrading to pick up the extras. ;)
"Used" or "re-used". I'm hoping the latter...

I tweaked a perl script to get what I wanted.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ On Friday 26 August 2005 18:52, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \_
Roy said:
__/ On Friday 26 August 2005 09:43, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \_
Datapoint: Mandrake/KDE here.

Try KDE. You can't beat drag-and-drop that's also multi-threaded. I

Try it? I've used it every day for three years. :)

As an FTP client, that is. Maybe I misunderstood you.

Oh! No, I lost track of the conversation. But those little mental
vacations can really pick up your energy late at night! :)

I thought it was Aussie... no idea why. Must be the west coast, but I
doubt it... maybe it's just a reference to booze and you are in fact
English.

I'm in Los Angeles, USA.

*gasp* surprise. (by no means an unpleasant one)

I'll pass on downgrading to pick up the extras. ;)

I tweaked a perl script to get what I wanted.

I do that stuff too. A flexible little 'toolbox' of (bash) scripts...

Roy

Roy Schestowitz

__/ On Saturday 27 August 2005 07:01, [Els] wrote : \__

Yup, thanks Els.

Make sure you don't end up further to the east. You might find yourself
lodged on a big silver plate.

When I first took a look at the page, I was convinced you took advantage of
the GMaps API as Eric Meyer did...

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html

It was broken recently so do not expect to see much. I wish I found the time
to do something similar. I and scared of juggling yet more... playtime can
become dreadful.

Roy

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
Hey, who mistyped that the first time? One of those little people,
again, I'll bet. Just wait'll I get my hands on...why, I'm so mad I
could...arghhhh!

You mean fins?

Btw, sharks don't blink.