FrontPage?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by WD10, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. WD10

    WD10 Guest

    I am trying to set up a site so that the
    http://my_site.com version of the domain redirects to the
    http://www.my_site.com version. Normally, the following two lines in
    the .htaccess file work for me, but they aren't working in this case. I'm
    not sure what all those lines in the file below mean but I see word
    "FrontPage"... After I fix this I have 22 pages of FrontPage HTML to fix :(

    Any ideas why the first two lines aren't working?

    Thanks

    # Sends all requests to www version of domain name

    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^my_site.com
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.my_site.com/$1 [R=301,L]

    # Everything below this line is the original htaccess file

    # -FrontPage-

    IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

    <Limit GET POST>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from all
    </Limit>
    <Limit PUT DELETE>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    </Limit>
    AuthName www.my_site.com
    AuthUserFile /home/my_folder/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
    AuthGroupFile /home/my_folder/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

    WD10, Sep 14, 2005

  2. WD10

    WD10 Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:46:08 -0400, WD10 wrote:

    > I am trying to set up a site so that the
    > http://my_site.com version of the domain redirects to the
    > http://www.my_site.com version. Normally, the following two lines in
    > the .htaccess file work for me, but they aren't working in this case. I'm
    > not sure what all those lines in the file below mean but I see word
    > "FrontPage"... After I fix this I have 22 pages of FrontPage HTML to fix :(
    >
    > Any ideas why the first two lines aren't working?

    ughh... I'm tired. Too many hours staring at the screen. Nevermind

    :S

    (RewriteEngine On)

    WD10, Sep 14, 2005

  3. WD10

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Why? Better to go the other way around IMHO. http://no-www.org/

    > # Sends all requests to www version of domain name

    RewriteEngine On

    > RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^my_site.com
    > RewriteRule (.*) http://www.my_site.com/$1 [R=301,L]

    The following is what works for me:

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.example\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://example.com/$1 [R=301,L]

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Sep 14, 2005
  4. WD10

    WD10 Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:03:13 +1000, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Previously in alt.html, WD10 <> said:
    >
    >> I am trying to set up a site so that the
    >> http://my_site.com version of the domain redirects to the
    >> http://www.my_site.com version.

    > Why? Better to go the other way around IMHO. http://no-www.org/

    Thanks for your reply. Why do you find that way is better? I find that more people link to my
    sites with the "www" so I figured I would use as few redirects as possible.

    WD10, Sep 14, 2005
  5. WD10

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, WD10 <> said:

    > Thanks for your reply. Why do you find that way is better? I find that more people link to my
    > sites with the "www" so I figured I would use as few redirects as possible.

    Did you have a look at the link I posted? While their view is a bit
    extreme IMHO, the whole www thing does annoy me, in particular sites
    where you have to include it or else you can't access the site. I
    realise that's not what you are doing of course. :)

    BTW: Please fix your newsreader to wrap lines at a more conventional
    length. 76-78 characters is usual.

    Mark Parnell, Sep 14, 2005
  6. WD10

    WD10 Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:56:17 +1000, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Previously in alt.html, WD10 <> said:
    >
    >> Thanks for your reply. Why do you find that way is better? I find that
    >> more people link to my sites with the "www" so I figured I would use as
    >> few redirects as possible.

    > Did you have a look at the link I posted? While their view is a bit
    > extreme IMHO, the whole www thing does annoy me, in particular sites where
    > you have to include it or else you can't access the site. I realise that's
    > not what you are doing of course. :)

    Sorry, I didn't realize that you were linking to a site. I thought that
    was just an example. I've been staring at this computer for too long.
    I'll check out the site.

    > BTW: Please fix your newsreader to wrap lines at a more conventional
    > length. 76-78 characters is usual.

    Sorry about that. I started using Pan on Windows and it doens't work
    right. Sometimes it deletes characters while I am typing and if I delete
    words on the wrong part of the line it destroys the
    wrapping. I wanted to stop using Outlook Express. I haven't had good
    results with Thunderbird for newsgroups, and Forte Agent had some kind of
    problem with the installation so it doesn't work even when I try to
    reinstall it. Any recommendations for a better newsreader for Windows?
    Pan is fine when I am in Linux but I usually have had to boot into Windows
    lately.

    WD10, Sep 14, 2005
  7. WD10

    WD10 Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:56:17 +1000, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Did you have a look at the link I posted? While their view is a bit
    > extreme IMHO, the whole www thing does annoy me, in particular sites where
    > you have to include it or else you can't access the site. I realise that's
    > not what you are doing of course. :)

    I just read that page. I agree that all sites should be accessible by
    typing either form, but I think it's better to redirect to one or the
    other so that the search engines don't think you have "duplicate content".
    I prefer the "www" because most people
    give you inbound links with "www" and I don't want to redirect them all.
    Sites that don't work without the "www" are terrible. Linux.org does it
    (sorry, "www.Linux.org") and before I figured it out I thought that the
    site was down. They are probably losing a lot of traffic because of it.

    WD10, Sep 14, 2005
  8. WD10

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, WD10 <> said:

    > Sorry, I didn't realize that you were linking to a site. I thought that
    > was just an example. I've been staring at this computer for too long.
    > I'll check out the site.

    <g>

    http://40tude.net/dialog/

    Mark Parnell, Sep 14, 2005
  9. WD10

    Toby Inkster Guest

    WD10 wrote:

    > Sorry about that. I started using Pan on Windows and it doens't work
    > right. Sometimes it deletes characters while I am typing and if I delete
    > words on the wrong part of the line it destroys the wrapping.

    Are you using version 0.14.2.91? It's a beta. Drop back to 0.14.2 -- it
    doesn't have that bug.

    There have been rumours that 0.15.0 will be out RSN.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Sep 14, 2005
  10. WD10

    WD10 Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:37:53 +0100, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > WD10 wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry about that. I started using Pan on Windows and it doens't work
    >> right. Sometimes it deletes characters while I am typing and if I delete
    >> words on the wrong part of the line it destroys the wrapping.

    > Are you using version 0.14.2.91? It's a beta. Drop back to 0.14.2 -- it
    > doesn't have that bug.
    >
    > There have been rumours that 0.15.0 will be out RSN.

    It's not the beta. It says 0.14.2.

    I'm not sure what is wrong with it. If I could find a way to erase Forte
    Agent completely off my hard drive... I can uninstall it but when I
    reinstall it it remembers all the previous settings and is still broken.
    I deleted everything out of Program Files but it doens't help. It's
    probably in an application data folder somewhere...

    WD10, Sep 14, 2005
  11. WD10

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, WD10 <> pronounced to
    alt.html:

    > I deleted everything out of Program Files but it doens't help. It's
    > probably in an application data folder somewhere...

    It's probably in your Windows registry. Good luck clearing it out of
    there. :)

    Mark Parnell, Sep 14, 2005
  12. WD10

    Spartanicus Guest

    OT: Agent (was Re: FrontPage?)

    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    >> I deleted everything out of Program Files but it doens't help. It's
    >> probably in an application data folder somewhere...

    >It's probably in your Windows registry. Good luck clearing it out of
    >there. :)

    Version 1.x stores nothing relevant in the registry, all config info is
    contained in good old ini files stored with the program files. I changed
    my hard drive a few months ago, Agent ran flawlessly after a simple copy
    of the \Program Files\ dir.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Sep 15, 2005
  13. WD10

    WD10 Guest

    Re: OT: Agent (was Re: FrontPage?)

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:23:12 +0000, Spartanicus wrote:

    > Mark Parnell <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I deleted everything out of Program Files but it doens't help. It's
    >>> probably in an application data folder somewhere...

    >>It's probably in your Windows registry. Good luck clearing it out of
    >>there. :)

    > Version 1.x stores nothing relevant in the registry, all config info is
    > contained in good old ini files stored with the program files. I changed
    > my hard drive a few months ago, Agent ran flawlessly after a simple copy
    > of the \Program Files\ dir.

    Hmm... I just checked my Program Files directory again and it had some
    data in there still. That might have been from the third install though.
    I might try again now that I have deleted it. I think I did last time
    though and Agent still remembered some things from the last install. It
    might be storing non-required data somewhere that is interfering with my
    reinstall. I'll try again later...

    WD10, Sep 15, 2005