frozen application / kill -3

Discussion in 'Java' started by christian, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. christian

    christian Guest

    Hello,

    my application runs from time to time into a frozen state. I've found
    the "kill -3
    process_id" command to get the stacktrace but if the customer starts
    this command after reaching the frozen state he gets no answer. The
    kill -3 command was started in the same console as where the process
    was started.

    the application runs with jre 1.4.0 on solaris 8.

    Has got anybody any ideas?

    While trying the command on a running application it prints the needid
    stacktrace...

    Are there other methods to get the stacktrace of a frozen application?

    Thank you!

    christian, Jul 7, 2004

  2. christian

    Chris Gray Guest

    christian wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > my application runs from time to time into a frozen state. I've found
    > the "kill -3
    > process_id" command to get the stacktrace but if the customer starts
    > this command after reaching the frozen state he gets no answer. The
    > kill -3 command was started in the same console as where the process
    > was started.

    May be a siily question, but: did you try issuing the kill -3 command in a
    _different_ console?

    --
    Chris Gray
    /k/ Embedded Java Solutions

    Chris Gray, Jul 7, 2004

  3. christian

    christian Guest

    Yes, but we still kept open the console window where we started the
    application.
    It doesn't matter where to start the kill -3 command. the output
    should appear in the window where the application was started. The
    application is not interactive started -> &

    Know we created a core file with <ctrl><\> but this is not the
    stacktrace...

    christian, Jul 8, 2004