FSM single process...BIG question

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by kassiopea147, Dec 2, 2010.

  1. kassiopea147

    kassiopea147

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all,
    I've a probelm to efficiently unregister output from FSM written in a single process style...

    in FSM synch process (don't pay attention to syntax..):

    case IDLE:
    if (pippo = '1') then
    next_state <= START;
    if (pluto = '1') then
    outp <= '0';
    else
    outp <= '1';
    end if;
    end if;

    outp is registered...if I want to avoid that register I shoud (in another process) duplicate a lot of logic:

    if (state = IDLE) then
    if (pippo = '1' and pluto = '1') then
    outp <= '0'
    elsif (pippo = '1' and pluto = '0') then
    outp <= '1';
    else outp <= 'Z' -- for example
    end if;
    end if;

    Is it possible to unregister output without duplicating that logic (It seems to me very poor coding...)...

    Thanx for any help
    Carlo
    kassiopea147, Dec 2, 2010

  2. kassiopea147