FTP 3rd party software for simple uploading/downloading?

D. Shane Fowlkes

I'm about to build in some functionality where my client's staff can do some
kind of basic upload to a folder or series of folders on our web server and
allow authenticated users to know the UID and PWD to download these files.
The needs are pretty simple and straight forward. But before I dive into
screwing around with what already works on the server such as creating new
UIDs and PWDs, new FTP sites, and so on...(not to mention attempting to
train the users to use Windows Explorer to xfer the files UP to the
folders), I was wondering if there's some fairly inexpensive 3rd party
software that'll do this for me. Any recommendations?

My requirements are:
I need to be able to assign unique staff personnel certain "admin" rights to
select folders so they can read, write, modify and delete to the contents of
their "secret" folders. "Secret" simply means the users, who the staff will
give them the exact URL and accompanying UID and PWD, will only be able to
access the contents of the folders if they know the UID and PWD.

I need to be able to assign restricted users so that if they authenticate
with the proper UID and PWD, can only read (download) files in the folders.

For example - John will have a folder like www.mywebsite.com/ftp/john/ and
he can upload files into this folder (or delete them for that matter). He
can not see Bob's secret folder. John has his own UID and PWD. He tells
his "users" of the URL and second set of UID and PWDs and the users can only
download the files. Bob has his own secret folder which he can control
and his own users.....etc....

THANKS!

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

Take some time out to evaluate the built in upload functionality in asp.net
and invest some time in working out how NTLM authentication works.......and
look up the functionality of the web.config location tag to restrict access
to web areas based on ID and location as a means of restricting access to
download, or change by end users. A web based file manger with upload would
probably suffice and people have already got examples of these on the web.

Regards

John Timney
Microsoft Regional Director
Microsoft MVP

John Saunders

D. Shane Fowlkes said:
I'm about to build in some functionality where my client's staff can do some
kind of basic upload to a folder or series of folders on our web server and
allow authenticated users to know the UID and PWD to download these files.
The needs are pretty simple and straight forward. But before I dive into
screwing around with what already works on the server such as creating new
UIDs and PWDs, new FTP sites, and so on...(not to mention attempting to
train the users to use Windows Explorer to xfer the files UP to the
folders), I was wondering if there's some fairly inexpensive 3rd party
software that'll do this for me. Any recommendations?

I wonder if anyone has ever used IIS's WebDAV support along with Basic
Authentication on an SSL-protected site. This might solve the OP's problem
if it works.