FTP and incongruous time-stamps on files...

rusty

hello.

In using dreamweaver's ftp engine, I often find when synchronizing sites the
notice comes up that the file on the remote server is newer (which is of
course not the case)... can anyone explain why this happens? Do remote http
servers reset the time-stamp on files without authorization?

Also, in using dreamweaver (mx) today, I altered 2 pictures and when going
to my images folder to upload them, I noticed that the time stamp on about a
dozen images had been changed to a time today 4 hours in the future (ie,
it's 3 pm now; files read 7 pm) even though these files were not altered by
me.

sorry if wrong NG, posted to dreamweaver ng, but no answers. thought it may
be an issue of understanding how remote http servers work.
thanks!!

rusty

brucie

Also, in using dreamweaver (mx) today, I altered 2 pictures and when going
to my images folder to upload them, I noticed that the time stamp on about a
dozen images had been changed to a time today 4 hours in the future (ie,
it's 3 pm now; files read 7 pm) even though these files were not altered by
me.

servers are GMT
sorry if wrong NG, posted to dreamweaver ng, but no answers.

you could have said that before i spent 3hrs looking for the dreamweaver
newsgroups

brucie

maybe not. i thought i read somewhere servers should be set to GMT but i
cant find the reference. a look at my hosts shows some on GMT and others
on the local time for their location so now i'm totally confused. does
anyone know?

rusty

maybe not. i thought i read somewhere servers should be set to GMT but i
cant find the reference. a look at my hosts shows some on GMT and others
on the local time for their location so now i'm totally confused. does
anyone know?

thanks for the glimpse into your inner workings, brucie, but i'm still left
wondering why my LOCAL site files were altered by Dreamweaver MX to read 4
hours later than my actual time. Also, these were files I did not alter.
(this may be more appropro for the DW newsgroup, but those donuts never
answer my posts.

c'est la vie, n'est-ce pas, mes ami?

brucie

thanks for the glimpse into your inner workings, brucie, but i'm still left
wondering why my LOCAL site files were altered by Dreamweaver MX to read 4
hours later than my actual time.

but what is the server time? if you're allowing DW to update it may be
changing your local file properties to reflect those on the server (or
you could probably set it up vice versa)
c'est la vie, n'est-ce pas, mes ami?

ummm... oogga booga!?

Barefoot Kid

| hello.
|
| In using dreamweaver's ftp engine, I often find when synchronizing sites the
| notice comes up that the file on the remote server is newer (which is of
| course not the case)... can anyone explain why this happens? Do remote http
| servers reset the time-stamp on files without authorization?
|
| Also, in using dreamweaver (mx) today, I altered 2 pictures and when going
| to my images folder to upload them, I noticed that the time stamp on about a
| dozen images had been changed to a time today 4 hours in the future (ie,
| it's 3 pm now; files read 7 pm) even though these files were not altered by
| me.
|
| sorry if wrong NG, posted to dreamweaver ng, but no answers. thought it may
| be an issue of understanding how remote http servers work.
| thanks!!
|
| rusty

say that u last modified a file locally a week ago and then u upload that file today, the timestamp
of that file on the ftp server would have todays date. if u upload that file again dw will warn u
that the remote file is newer because according to the server it is even tho u havent modified in a
week.

Toby A Inkster

brucie said:
maybe not. i thought i read somewhere servers should be set to GMT but i
cant find the reference.

You can set your servers to whichever timezone you like, as mostly the
server will specify a timezone whenever it outputs the time.

For example:

[tai@ophelia (pts/1) ~]$ lynx -dump -head http://www/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:20:54 GMT
Server: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.47

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:56:05 +1000, brucie is reported to have
stated:
but what is the server time? if you're allowing DW to update it may be
changing your local file properties to reflect those on the server (or
you could probably set it up vice versa)

That's exactly what DW does. I have yet to find the option (if it exists)
to stop it (or reverse it).

To the OP: This means that if your server is set to 4 hours ahead of your
computer, after uploading files they will show as being modified 4 hours in
the future. Unless you can work out how to stop DW doing this, or get your
host to change the time on the server, there's not much you can do about
it. Other than use a different program for FTP.