FTP and incongruous time-stamps on files...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rusty, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. rusty

    rusty Guest

    hello.

    In using dreamweaver's ftp engine, I often find when synchronizing sites the
    notice comes up that the file on the remote server is newer (which is of
    course not the case)... can anyone explain why this happens? Do remote http
    servers reset the time-stamp on files without authorization?

    Also, in using dreamweaver (mx) today, I altered 2 pictures and when going
    to my images folder to upload them, I noticed that the time stamp on about a
    dozen images had been changed to a time today 4 hours in the future (ie,
    it's 3 pm now; files read 7 pm) even though these files were not altered by
    me.

    sorry if wrong NG, posted to dreamweaver ng, but no answers. thought it may
    be an issue of understanding how remote http servers work.
    thanks!!

    rusty

    rusty, Dec 4, 2003

  2. rusty

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:S3Bzb.3153$d35.1697@edtnps84>

    > Also, in using dreamweaver (mx) today, I altered 2 pictures and when going
    > to my images folder to upload them, I noticed that the time stamp on about a
    > dozen images had been changed to a time today 4 hours in the future (ie,
    > it's 3 pm now; files read 7 pm) even though these files were not altered by
    > me.

    servers are GMT

    > sorry if wrong NG, posted to dreamweaver ng, but no answers.

    you could have said that before i spent 3hrs looking for the dreamweaver
    newsgroups

    --
    brucie
    04/December/2003 05:09:08 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 4, 2003

  3. rusty

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bqmn0j$2552nh$-berlin.de>
    brucie said:

    > servers are GMT

    maybe.

    --
    brucie
    04/December/2003 05:21:17 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 4, 2003
  4. rusty

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bqmnkb$23o56s$-berlin.de>
    brucie said:

    >> servers are GMT

    > maybe.

    maybe not. i thought i read somewhere servers should be set to GMT but i
    cant find the reference. a look at my hosts shows some on GMT and others
    on the local time for their location so now i'm totally confused. does
    anyone know?

    --
    brucie
    04/December/2003 06:44:25 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 4, 2003
  5. rusty

    rusty Guest

    > maybe not. i thought i read somewhere servers should be set to GMT but i
    > cant find the reference. a look at my hosts shows some on GMT and others
    > on the local time for their location so now i'm totally confused. does
    > anyone know?

    thanks for the glimpse into your inner workings, brucie, but i'm still left
    wondering why my LOCAL site files were altered by Dreamweaver MX to read 4
    hours later than my actual time. Also, these were files I did not alter.
    (this may be more appropro for the DW newsgroup, but those donuts never
    answer my posts.

    c'est la vie, n'est-ce pas, mes ami?

    rusty, Dec 4, 2003
  6. rusty

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:HrDzb.5084$d35.3445@edtnps84>
    rusty said:

    >> maybe not. i thought i read somewhere servers should be set to GMT but i
    >> cant find the reference. a look at my hosts shows some on GMT and others
    >> on the local time for their location so now i'm totally confused. does
    >> anyone know?

    > thanks for the glimpse into your inner workings, brucie, but i'm still left
    > wondering why my LOCAL site files were altered by Dreamweaver MX to read 4
    > hours later than my actual time.

    but what is the server time? if you're allowing DW to update it may be
    changing your local file properties to reflect those on the server (or
    you could probably set it up vice versa)

    > c'est la vie, n'est-ce pas, mes ami?

    ummm... oogga booga!?

    --
    brucie
    04/December/2003 07:52:27 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 4, 2003
  7. rusty

    Barefoot Kid Guest

    "rusty" <> wrote in message news:S3Bzb.3153$d35.1697@edtnps84...
    | hello.
    |
    | In using dreamweaver's ftp engine, I often find when synchronizing sites the
    | notice comes up that the file on the remote server is newer (which is of
    | course not the case)... can anyone explain why this happens? Do remote http
    | servers reset the time-stamp on files without authorization?
    |
    | Also, in using dreamweaver (mx) today, I altered 2 pictures and when going
    | to my images folder to upload them, I noticed that the time stamp on about a
    | dozen images had been changed to a time today 4 hours in the future (ie,
    | it's 3 pm now; files read 7 pm) even though these files were not altered by
    | me.
    |
    | sorry if wrong NG, posted to dreamweaver ng, but no answers. thought it may
    | be an issue of understanding how remote http servers work.
    | thanks!!
    |
    | rusty

    say that u last modified a file locally a week ago and then u upload that file today, the timestamp
    of that file on the ftp server would have todays date. if u upload that file again dw will warn u
    that the remote file is newer because according to the server it is even tho u havent modified in a
    week.
    Hung Diep
    New Media Designer
    www.intro-spect.co.uk
    0795 6576 319

    Barefoot Kid, Dec 4, 2003
  8. brucie wrote:

    > maybe not. i thought i read somewhere servers should be set to GMT but i
    > cant find the reference.

    You can set your servers to whichever timezone you like, as mostly the
    server will specify a timezone whenever it outputs the time.

    For example:

    [tai@ophelia (pts/1) ~]$ lynx -dump -head http://www/
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:20:54 GMT
    Server: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.47

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 4, 2003
  9. rusty

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:56:05 +1000, brucie is reported to have
    stated:

    > but what is the server time? if you're allowing DW to update it may be
    > changing your local file properties to reflect those on the server (or
    > you could probably set it up vice versa)

    That's exactly what DW does. I have yet to find the option (if it exists)
    to stop it (or reverse it).

    To the OP: This means that if your server is set to 4 hours ahead of your
    computer, after uploading files they will show as being modified 4 hours in
    the future. Unless you can work out how to stop DW doing this, or get your
    host to change the time on the server, there's not much you can do about
    it. Other than use a different program for FTP.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Dec 4, 2003