FTP client C source code

EBG

Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
library implemented in C, complete with source code? I've looked on the
web and as expected are 1000's of offerings, however couldn't find
anything with sources in C and is free. Target platform is Windows (CE
4.2) however will be ported to other proprietary platforms at later
stage.

Cheers,
EBG

Christopher Benson-Manica

EBG said:
Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
library implemented in C

(No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)

(For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
counts.)

Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

http://c-faq.com

Richard Heathfield

Christopher Benson-Manica said:
(No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)

(For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
counts.)

You could write about 99.5% of it in standard C.

Random832

2006-12-15 said:
Christopher Benson-Manica said:

You could write about 99.5% of it in standard C.

99.9 - you'd really only need one non-standard-implementable function
for passive ftp.

FILE *tcpopen(const char *host, unsigned short port, const char *mode);

Roberto Waltman

EBG said:
...t does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
library implemented in C, complete with source code? I've looked on the
web and as expected are 1000's of offerings, however couldn't find
anything with sources in C and is free. Target platform is Windows (CE
4.2) however will be ported to other proprietary platforms at later
stage.

ftplib: http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/ftplib/

Dave Thompson

(No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)
Well, there's no _guaranteed_ way to get at TCP/IP comms, but they
could be accessible through stdio. In fact, they often are for
_servers_ run from inetd or similar. It would be rather constraining
for a library to rely on this however.

It is certainly possible to build commands and parse responses, and do
a reasonable command-line-type UI, in standard C. For a client you
don't strictly need nonblocking or async I/O or multithreading or even
timeouts, none of which are standard, although you can do a rather
better job if you have (some of?) them.
(For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
counts.)
I don't think it works either, unless you use a FTP-scheme URL.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net