    stage.

    Cheers,
    EBG

    EBG, Dec 15, 2006

  2. EBG <> wrote:

    > Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
    > library implemented in C

    (No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
    FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)

    (For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
    C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
    counts.)

    Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

    http://c-faq.com

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Dec 15, 2006

  3. Christopher Benson-Manica said:

    > EBG <> wrote:
    >
    >> Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
    >> library implemented in C

    > (No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
    > FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)
    >
    > (For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
    > C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
    > counts.)

    You could write about 99.5% of it in standard C.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 15, 2006
  4. EBG

    Random832 Guest

    2006-12-15 <>,
    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Christopher Benson-Manica said:
    >
    >> EBG <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
    >>> library implemented in C

    >> (No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
    >> FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)
    >>
    >> (For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
    >> C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
    >> counts.)

    > You could write about 99.5% of it in standard C.

    99.9 - you'd really only need one non-standard-implementable function
    for passive ftp.

    FILE *tcpopen(const char *host, unsigned short port, const char *mode);

    Random832, Dec 15, 2006

    Have you looked here http://www.koders.com/ or here
    http://www.krugle.com/ ?

    Roland Pibinger, Dec 15, 2006
  6. "EBG" <>

    ftplib: http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/ftplib/

    Roberto Waltman, Dec 18, 2006
  7. On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:08:08 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Benson-Manica
    <> wrote:

    > EBG <> wrote:
    >
    > > Probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a *free* FTP client
    > > library implemented in C

    > (No, because standard C provides no facilities with which to write an
    > FTP client. Have you looked at sourceforge?)

    Well, there's no _guaranteed_ way to get at TCP/IP comms, but they
    could be accessible through stdio. In fact, they often are for
    _servers_ run from inetd or similar. It would be rather constraining
    for a library to rely on this however.

    It is certainly possible to build commands and parse responses, and do
    a reasonable command-line-type UI, in standard C. For a client you
    don't strictly need nonblocking or async I/O or multithreading or even
    timeouts, none of which are standard, although you can do a rather
    better job if you have (some of?) them.

    > (For the pedants, I suppose you could write an FTP client in standard
    > C, but I really don't think system("wget http://my.host/my.file")
    > counts.)

    I don't think it works either, unless you use a FTP-scheme URL.

    - David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

    Dave Thompson, Jan 3, 2007