FTP client options

Discussion in 'Java' started by Phillip D Ferguson, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Hey all,

    for a project i have been hunting around for a while on a way to implement a
    ftp client in java. I don't need any fancy gui, just the basic api's and
    code.

    Jakarta commons net seems the most well know and stable but i don't know how
    to install and access the member functions etc. I have looked into the
    sun.net.ftp but the lack of support is not good. I realise there are a lot
    of 3rd party api's out there and all i really want is a reliable one that it
    should be too hard to implement my FTP client.
    I have read the RFC 959 etc that tells you exactly to build one from the
    ground up, but i would really like a abstraction layer above that so i am
    just specifying locations, ports, IP addresses, file locations and file
    names.

    Essentially i'd love to see some examples that talk through uploading and
    downloading a file through FTP. All i really need is to upload a file to a
    FTP server, and a similar client to download the file from the same server.

    I don't need anything fancy just a simple little client that will upload and
    download files. I am quite happy to used 3rd party api's but i really need
    some good examples.
    Does anyone have any suggestions that they could talk me through or post
    instructions etc?

    Cheers

    Phillip Ferguson

    Phillip D Ferguson, Feb 6, 2006

  2. Phillip D Ferguson wrote on 06.02.2006 22:20:
    > Jakarta commons net seems the most well know and stable but i don't know how
    > to install and access the member functions etc.

    That shouldn't be that hard.

    Install: Put the library into your classpath
    Use: Read the javadocs and google for examples if that isn's sufficient

    Where exactly is your problem?

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Feb 6, 2006

  3. I have downloaded the commons-net-1.4.1-src.zip package from here
    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-net.cgi

    I can't find the library in there to insert into my classpath. What do you
    mean by classpath?
    I've tried googling for examples but its very difficult to find a vasic one
    without additional complications.
    Where are the javadocs you are referring to?

    My problem is simply the integration, adding the library and finding a good
    example where i can build and learn from.

    Thanks

    Phillip

    Phillip D Ferguson, Feb 6, 2006
  4. Phillip D Ferguson wrote on 06.02.2006 23:08:
    > I have downloaded the commons-net-1.4.1-src.zip package from here
    > http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-net.cgi
    >
    > I can't find the library in there to insert into my classpath.

    You have to download the binaries not the source in order to use the
    library. If you download the source you need to build the .jar file and
    the Javadocs yourself.

    The binary is available on the same page.

    > What do you mean by classpath?

    This is absolute basic Java knowledge. If you don't even understand the
    concept of the classpath, I'd suggest you go back to the beginning
    before writing an FTP client

    > Where are the javadocs you are referring to?

    Inside the binary distribution.
    Apart from that they are available online:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/apidocs/index.html

    > I've tried googling for examples but its very difficult to find a

    vasic one
    > without additional complications.

    Some basic examples are listed in the FAQ
    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/faq.html

    The overview page at
    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/index.html
    also has two links for additional articles.

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Feb 6, 2006
  5. Thomas

    thank you for the input, i really appreciate it!
    The reason for my unfamiliarity with the classpath is that in my compiler
    ( Eclipse) it used the term Build path instead, and also i have not used any
    3rd party libraries before. I'm quite familiar with the concept of a
    classpath.... just not used them before!
    Thanks for the links, i have already seen them and well......... i guess its
    getting late, late enough for me not to recognise them!
    No doubt i'll be back tomorrow with queries on the jakarta package!

    Phillip D Ferguson, Feb 6, 2006
  6. Phillip D Ferguson

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:20:20 GMT, "Phillip D Ferguson"
    said :

    >for a project i have been hunting around for a while on a way to implement a
    >ftp client in java. I don't need any fancy gui, just the basic api's and
    >code.

    Looks like you have hit the hot spots already. Have a look at the
    links for http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ftp.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Phillip D Ferguson

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Phillip D Ferguson wrote:
    > Thomas
    >
    > thank you for the input, i really appreciate it!
    > The reason for my unfamiliarity with the classpath is that in my compiler
    > ( Eclipse) it used the term Build path instead, and also i have not used any
    > 3rd party libraries before. I'm quite familiar with the concept of a
    > classpath.... just not used them before!

    That's precisely the reason why I always advocate to learn a programming
    environment/language without an IDE. You get used to all the basics
    which are usually obfuscated by the IDEs

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Feb 7, 2006