    host name ( i'm using comcast ), the userID and Account. do i need to call
    Comcast to have this info filled out to use the program?

    thanks for any help
    FH, Sep 28, 2003

  2. FH wrote:

    > hi... sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup to ask, but i need to know how to
    > use a ftp program. i'm using WS_FTP Pro and don't know how to fill out the
    > host name ( i'm using comcast ), the userID and Account. do i need to call
    > Comcast to have this info filled out to use the program?

    The hostname is just the address you're uploading to; if this is to
    upload files to your own Web site which has its own domain, then simply
    putting that address (e.g., "www.example.com") should work. If it's a
    site in a subdirectory of somebody else's domain, use that (if your site
    is at "http://www.example.net/~yoursite/", use "www.example.net"). If
    it's an FTP site unconnected with a Web site, ask the provider what its
    hostname is.

    The UserID and password are those connected with your account; your
    provider should have told you them.

    I've never had to use the Account field; I think some kinds of mainframe
    systems require it, but nothing I've ever used; you can probably leave
    it blank.

    --
    == Dan ==
    Daniel R. Tobias, Sep 28, 2003

  3. FH

    FH Guest

    > The hostname is just the address you're uploading to; if this is to
    > upload files to your own Web site which has its own domain, then simply
    > putting that address (e.g., "www.example.com") should work. If it's a
    > site in a subdirectory of somebody else's domain, use that (if your site
    > is at "http://www.example.net/~yoursite/", use "www.example.net"). If
    > it's an FTP site unconnected with a Web site, ask the provider what its
    > hostname is.
    >
    > The UserID and password are those connected with your account; your
    > provider should have told you them.
    >
    > I've never had to use the Account field; I think some kinds of mainframe
    > systems require it, but nothing I've ever used; you can probably leave
    > it blank.
    >
    > --
    > == Dan ==
    > Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/