ftp - newbie needs help

FH

hi... sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup to ask, but i need to know how to
use a ftp program. i'm using WS_FTP Pro and don't know how to fill out the
host name ( i'm using comcast ), the userID and Account. do i need to call
Comcast to have this info filled out to use the program?

thanks for any help

Daniel R. Tobias

FH said:
hi... sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup to ask, but i need to know how to
use a ftp program. i'm using WS_FTP Pro and don't know how to fill out the
host name ( i'm using comcast ), the userID and Account. do i need to call
Comcast to have this info filled out to use the program?

The hostname is just the address you're uploading to; if this is to
upload files to your own Web site which has its own domain, then simply
putting that address (e.g., "www.example.com") should work. If it's a
site in a subdirectory of somebody else's domain, use that (if your site
is at "http://www.example.net/~yoursite/", use "www.example.net"). If
it's an FTP site unconnected with a Web site, ask the provider what its
hostname is.

The UserID and password are those connected with your account; your
provider should have told you them.

I've never had to use the Account field; I think some kinds of mainframe
systems require it, but nothing I've ever used; you can probably leave
it blank.

FH

--
== Dan ==