ftp problems

FH

i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a friend
told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three below, does
anyone know for sure which one it is?:

Hostname is usually either:

ftp.comcast.net

or

www.comcast.net

or maybe even

ftp.home.comcast.net

i've tried all three and have added my password and ID number, but i still
can't get it to connect. can anyone help a poor newbie?

thanks a ton

William Tasso

FH said:
i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a
friend told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three
below, does anyone know for sure which one it is?:

your host will know for sure.

Daniel R. Tobias

FH said:
i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a friend
told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three below, does
anyone know for sure which one it is?:

What's the hostname in the URL of your site? That will generally work
in the FTP program, as you're (in most cases) connecting to the same
server for FTP as for Web access (after all, you're using FTP to put up
the files that are to be accessed on the Web). (Well, the provider
*could* have set up a networked environment where Web access is done by
one machine and FTP access by another, with the files accessed by both
through a LAN, but that's relatively unlikely.) Thus, if your site's
URL is "http://www.example.org/", you'd try connecting to
"www.example.org", and if its URL is "http://www.example.net/mysite/"
you'd use "www.example.net".

FH

--
== Dan ==

my site is: http://home.comcast.net/~mynamegoeshere/

Richard

FH said:
i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a
friend
told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three below,
does
anyone know for sure which one it is?:
Hostname is usually either:

or maybe even

i've tried all three and have added my password and ID number, but i
still
can't get it to connect. can anyone help a poor newbie?
thanks a ton

Most ftp programs you just enter the domain name as www.name.com.
The port should be 21 or 0 with 0 being a default.
using ftp.name.com is accessing the files available to view on the ftp site.
which may be totally different than where your site files are.
I use a simple program called "leech" and I've always entered as
www.name.com

Assuming you have an account setup as comast.net/myaccount/ then you would
enter the /myaccount as well.
and if your account has a ~ in it, don't forget that as well.
so you could see something like www.comcastnet/~myaccount

Toby A Inkster

Richard said:
Most ftp programs you just enter the domain name as www.name.com.
The port should be 21 or 0 with 0 being a default.

Huh? There is no TCP port 0 -- well there is, but there is a convention
not to ever use it. Port 21 is the default port for FTP, although any
port number (1-65535) may be used.

Richard

Toby said:
Richard wrote:
Huh? There is no TCP port 0 -- well there is, but there is a
convention
not to ever use it. Port 21 is the default port for FTP, although any
port number (1-65535) may be used.

True there is no port 0 per se. I've seen many programs use it as an
internal default.
I would think then that within the program they would set the port
accordingly.
Kind of like using a variable as if a=0 then a=21.