ftp problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by FH, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. FH

    FH Guest

    i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a friend
    told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three below, does
    anyone know for sure which one it is?:

    Hostname is usually either:

    ftp.comcast.net

    or

    www.comcast.net

    or maybe even

    ftp.home.comcast.net

    i've tried all three and have added my password and ID number, but i still
    can't get it to connect. can anyone help a poor newbie?

    thanks a ton

    FH, Oct 7, 2003

  2. FH wrote:
    > i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a
    > friend told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three
    > below, does anyone know for sure which one it is?:

    your host will know for sure.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Oct 7, 2003

  3. FH

    FH Guest

    > FH wrote:
    > > i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a
    > > friend told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three
    > > below, does anyone know for sure which one it is?:

    > your host will know for sure.
    >
    > --
    > William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    i called them ( comcast ), they weren't much help.

    FH, Oct 7, 2003
  4. FH wrote:

    > i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a friend
    > told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three below, does
    > anyone know for sure which one it is?:

    What's the hostname in the URL of your site? That will generally work
    in the FTP program, as you're (in most cases) connecting to the same
    server for FTP as for Web access (after all, you're using FTP to put up
    the files that are to be accessed on the Web). (Well, the provider
    *could* have set up a networked environment where Web access is done by
    one machine and FTP access by another, with the files accessed by both
    through a LAN, but that's relatively unlikely.) Thus, if your site's
    URL is "http://www.example.org/", you'd try connecting to
    "www.example.org", and if its URL is "http://www.example.net/mysite/"
    you'd use "www.example.net".

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Oct 7, 2003
  5. FH

    FH Guest

    my site is: http://home.comcast.net/~mynamegoeshere/

    FH, Oct 7, 2003
  6. FH

    FH Guest

    i got it to work, i had to write: mywebpages.comcast.net for the host name.

    FH, Oct 7, 2003
  7. FH

    Richard Guest

    FH wrote:

    > i'm still having difficulty getting my WS_FTP PRO to work for me, a
    > friend
    > told me that i need to add the host name as one of the three below,
    > does
    > anyone know for sure which one it is?:

    > Hostname is usually either:

    > ftp.comcast.net

    > or

    > www.comcast.net

    > or maybe even

    > ftp.home.comcast.net

    > i've tried all three and have added my password and ID number, but i
    > still
    > can't get it to connect. can anyone help a poor newbie?

    > thanks a ton

    Most ftp programs you just enter the domain name as www.name.com.
    The port should be 21 or 0 with 0 being a default.
    using ftp.name.com is accessing the files available to view on the ftp site.
    which may be totally different than where your site files are.
    I use a simple program called "leech" and I've always entered as
    www.name.com

    Assuming you have an account setup as comast.net/myaccount/ then you would
    enter the /myaccount as well.
    and if your account has a ~ in it, don't forget that as well.
    so you could see something like www.comcastnet/~myaccount

    Richard, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Richard wrote:

    > Most ftp programs you just enter the domain name as www.name.com.
    > The port should be 21 or 0 with 0 being a default.

    Huh? There is no TCP port 0 -- well there is, but there is a convention
    not to ever use it. Port 21 is the default port for FTP, although any
    port number (1-65535) may be used.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Oct 7, 2003
  9. FH

    Richard Guest

    Toby wrote:

    > Richard wrote:

    >> Most ftp programs you just enter the domain name as www.name.com.
    >> The port should be 21 or 0 with 0 being a default.

    > Huh? There is no TCP port 0 -- well there is, but there is a
    > convention
    > not to ever use it. Port 21 is the default port for FTP, although any
    > port number (1-65535) may be used.

    True there is no port 0 per se. I've seen many programs use it as an
    internal default.
    I would think then that within the program they would set the port
    accordingly.
    Kind of like using a variable as if a=0 then a=21.

    Richard, Oct 7, 2003
  10. Daniel R. Tobias, Oct 8, 2003