ftp programs...

Jonathan (Pickles) Sklan-Willis

Hi All,

I am uploading heavy (30-50mb) catalogues, and for some reason (probably
my computer - I'm on 2mb broadband) LeechFTP & FTP Commander keep
crashing on me. I know it's not my server. I once had an amazing FTP
program that worked beautifully but I've forgotten what it was called
and where I got it. I'd be interested to know what people use from the
freeware range of FTP software and what their recommendations are.

Thanks,
Pickles.

David Dorward

Jonathan said:
I'd be interested to know what people use from the
freeware range of FTP software and what their recommendations are.

If I had to use ftp, then I'd use ncftp. I wouldn't want to upload my
website with it though, for that I usually go with Rsync over SSH.

R2G2

Hi All,

I am uploading heavy (30-50mb) catalogues, and for some reason (probably
my computer - I'm on 2mb broadband) LeechFTP & FTP Commander keep
crashing on me. I know it's not my server. I once had an amazing FTP
program that worked beautifully but I've forgotten what it was called
and where I got it. I'd be interested to know what people use from the
freeware range of FTP software and what their recommendations are.

Thanks,
Pickles.

Coreftp works ok when I've used it

Trev

Jonathan (Pickles) Sklan-Willis said:
Hi All,

I am uploading heavy (30-50mb) catalogues, and for some reason (probably
my computer - I'm on 2mb broadband) LeechFTP & FTP Commander keep crashing
on me. I know it's not my server. I once had an amazing FTP program that
worked beautifully but I've forgotten what it was called and where I got
it. I'd be interested to know what people use from the freeware range of
FTP software and what their recommendations are.

Thanks,
Pickles.

XP's built in or Dreamweaver

SpaceGirl

Trev said:
XP's built in or Dreamweaver

Yeah those are my fallback FTP clients too. Leech is just a bit weird
sometimes on a modern machine. Really wish the guy would update
LeechFTP, or release to code open source. It was the best little FTP
program out there for ages.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Rob Duval

Jonathan said:
Hi All,

I am uploading heavy (30-50mb) catalogues, and for some reason (probably
my computer - I'm on 2mb broadband) LeechFTP & FTP Commander keep
crashing on me. I know it's not my server. I once had an amazing FTP
program that worked beautifully but I've forgotten what it was called
and where I got it. I'd be interested to know what people use from the
freeware range of FTP software and what their recommendations are.

Thanks,
Pickles.

Globalscape's CuteFTP. Can't remember if it's nagware, or crippleware,
though.

Leif K-Brooks

Jonathan said:
I'd be interested to know what people use from the freeware range of
FTP software and what their recommendations are.

I use scp for uploading things to my server, so I don't usually need an
FTP client. But when I do, I generally use lftp (http://lftp.yar.ru/).
If I were on Windows, I would probably use SmartFTP (http://smartftp.com/).

[F'ups trimmed.]

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=C1ngel?=

In alt.html.editors.enhanced-html "Jonathan (Pickles) Sklan-Willis said:
I am uploading heavy (30-50mb) catalogues, and for some reason (probably
my computer - I'm on 2mb broadband) LeechFTP & FTP Commander keep
crashing on me. I know it's not my server. I once had an amazing FTP
program that worked beautifully but I've forgotten what it was called
and where I got it. I'd be interested to know what people use from the
freeware range of FTP software and what their recommendations are.

LFTP, simply amazing. It even seems to have a Windows version (I don't
use Windows but since you seem to have so many crashes I belibe it's
what you are using).

Cheers,
Angel

Bill in Detroit

Leif said:
I use scp for uploading things to my server, so I don't usually need an
FTP client. But when I do, I generally use lftp (http://lftp.yar.ru/).
If I were on Windows, I would probably use SmartFTP (http://smartftp.com/).

Both excellent choices (although rsync is more fun on Linux).

Yesterday I moved ~200 x ~2 MB jpeg files to my site. SmartFTP just sat
there and handled it. I tried a half-dozen FTP clients out and SmartFTP
was at least as good as the be$t of them.

No nag screens, either.

Bill
--

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0702-0, 01/09/2007
Tested on: 1/11/2007 12:34:57 AM