FTP Question

Robert G

I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
ideas what I may be doing wrong?

richard

I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Try understanding what FTP is.
Does "File transfer" mean anything?
Create the code in a text editor, save the file, then upload the file.

Raymond SCHMIT

I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
ideas what I may be doing wrong?

FileZilla free program can help you efficiently

Sherm Pendley

Robert G said:
I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
ideas what I may be doing wrong?

IE isn't a full-fledged FTP client - it accepts ftp:// URLs, but it can
only download from an FTP server, it can't upload.

sherm--

Harlan Messinger

Sherm said:
IE isn't a full-fledged FTP client - it accepts ftp:// URLs, but it can
only download from an FTP server, it can't upload.

Yes it can.

Harlan Messinger

Robert said:
I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Do you mean, you are unable to copy and paste your *files*? Because
that's what FTP is--it's for tranferring files. It isn't a file editor,
where you request a file and then start typing its contents.

Your problem might be that you're using IE7, which for some reason makes
you go through miserable hoops--using Windows Explorer--to open a
directory for FTP uploads or bulk downloads. When you first log in, you
get a directory tree, with the message at the top, "To view this FTP
site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click Open FTP Site in
Windows Explorer." Do that. And you have to have already FTPed into the
site and then FTP in all over again following the instructions, because
until you've FTPed in the first time, that option doesn't appear on the
IE Page menu. I can't imagine why they thought this made more sense when
IE6 gave you FTP directly.

SAZ

IE isn't a full-fledged FTP client - it accepts ftp:// URLs, but it can
only download from an FTP server, it can't upload.

sherm--
Wrong - it will upload. The problem with IE is that it gives you only
the stripped downs basics for FTP.

rf

Brian Cryer said:
Shem is spot on. The FTP client in IE will only allow download. The upload
isn't implemented (http upload is, but that's a different protocol).

If you have Windows vista

Why would anyone want to use Vista?
then try running up Windows Explorer (right click start and select
Explore) and use that, putting the ftp address in the address bar, that
should allow you to upload or download. XP might provide the same
capability, never tried.

Yes it does.

Harlan Messinger

Brian said:
Shem is spot on. The FTP client in IE will only allow download. The
upload isn't implemented (http upload is, but that's a different protocol).

Yes, it is, and I and clients of mine have used it plenty of times over
the years.

Harlan Messinger

Brian said:
Obviously I've been short changed then because the FTP client in
explorer on my PC (Vista) doesn't. It will if you use it to invoke the
explorer client from IE, which may be what you've been doing.

Yes, see what I wrote in my earlier message in this thread about IE7.