    I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    ideas what I may be doing wrong?
    Robert G, Nov 23, 2008

  2. Robert G

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:14:00 -0800 (PST), Robert G <>
    wrote:

    >I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    >window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    >ideas what I may be doing wrong?

    Try understanding what FTP is.
    Does "File transfer" mean anything?
    Create the code in a text editor, save the file, then upload the file.
    richard, Nov 23, 2008

  3. On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:14:00 -0800 (PST), Robert G <>
    wrote:

    >I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    >window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    >ideas what I may be doing wrong?

    FileZilla free program can help you efficiently
    Raymond SCHMIT, Nov 23, 2008
  4. Robert G <> writes:

    > I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    > window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    > ideas what I may be doing wrong?

    IE isn't a full-fledged FTP client - it accepts ftp:// URLs, but it can
    only download from an FTP server, it can't upload.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com
    Sherm Pendley, Nov 23, 2008
  5. Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > Robert G <> writes:
    >
    >> I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    >> window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    >> ideas what I may be doing wrong?

    > IE isn't a full-fledged FTP client - it accepts ftp:// URLs, but it can
    > only download from an FTP server, it can't upload.

    Yes it can.
    Harlan Messinger, Nov 23, 2008
  6. Robert G wrote:
    > I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    > window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    > ideas what I may be doing wrong?

    Do you mean, you are unable to copy and paste your *files*? Because
    that's what FTP is--it's for tranferring files. It isn't a file editor,
    where you request a file and then start typing its contents.

    Your problem might be that you're using IE7, which for some reason makes
    you go through miserable hoops--using Windows Explorer--to open a
    directory for FTP uploads or bulk downloads. When you first log in, you
    get a directory tree, with the message at the top, "To view this FTP
    site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click Open FTP Site in
    Windows Explorer." Do that. And you have to have already FTPed into the
    site and then FTP in all over again following the instructions, because
    until you've FTPed in the first time, that option doesn't appear on the
    IE Page menu. I can't imagine why they thought this made more sense when
    IE6 gave you FTP directly.
    Harlan Messinger, Nov 23, 2008
  7. Robert G

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Robert G <> writes:
    >
    > > I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    > > window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    > > ideas what I may be doing wrong?

    > IE isn't a full-fledged FTP client - it accepts ftp:// URLs, but it can
    > only download from an FTP server, it can't upload.
    >
    > sherm--

    Wrong - it will upload. The problem with IE is that it gives you only
    the stripped downs basics for FTP.
    SAZ, Nov 24, 2008
  8. Robert G

    rf Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in message
    > "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    >> Robert G <> writes:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    >>> window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    >>> ideas what I may be doing wrong?

    >> IE isn't a full-fledged FTP client - it accepts ftp:// URLs, but it can
    >> only download from an FTP server, it can't upload.

    > Shem is spot on. The FTP client in IE will only allow download. The upload
    > isn't implemented (http upload is, but that's a different protocol).
    >
    > If you have Windows vista

    Why would anyone want to use Vista?

    > then try running up Windows Explorer (right click start and select
    > Explore) and use that, putting the ftp address in the address bar, that
    > should allow you to upload or download. XP might provide the same
    > capability, never tried.

    Yes it does.
    rf, Nov 25, 2008
  9. Brian Cryer wrote:
    > "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    >> Robert G <> writes:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to access ftp by typing the sntax in my internet explorer
    >>> window. I get in ok but I am unable to copy and paste my code. Any
    >>> ideas what I may be doing wrong?

    >> IE isn't a full-fledged FTP client - it accepts ftp:// URLs, but it can
    >> only download from an FTP server, it can't upload.

    > Shem is spot on. The FTP client in IE will only allow download. The
    > upload isn't implemented (http upload is, but that's a different protocol).

    Yes, it is, and I and clients of mine have used it plenty of times over
    the years.
    Harlan Messinger, Nov 25, 2008
  10. Brian Cryer wrote:
    > "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian Cryer wrote:
    >>> "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message

    >>> Shem is spot on. The FTP client in IE will only allow download. The
    >>> upload isn't implemented (http upload is, but that's a different
    >>> protocol).

    >> Yes, it is, and I and clients of mine have used it plenty of times
    >> over the years.

    > Obviously I've been short changed then because the FTP client in
    > explorer on my PC (Vista) doesn't. It will if you use it to invoke the
    > explorer client from IE, which may be what you've been doing.

    Yes, see what I wrote in my earlier message in this thread about IE7.
    Harlan Messinger, Nov 25, 2008