FTP to AOL ... ??

Gus

I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )

I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.

The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.

What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work like my
little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on the
ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and drop
the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?

Thanks for the help .......

Toby A Inkster

Gus said:
The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.

It's been a very long time since I used AOL (I left it before AOL 4 came
out, and AOL 9 is the current version), but even back then they allowed
FTP, so I guess they must now. You'd be best off asking AOL's support
staff -- that's what you pay your monthly fee for, isn't it?

Arnie Goetchius

Gus said:
I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )

I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.

The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.

What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work like my
little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on the
ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and drop
the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?

Thanks for the help .......

I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:

Host Name: = members.aol.com
Userid: = anonymous
Password: = screenname
Remote Site Folder: = screenname

where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.

Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
work.

Gus

(e-mail address removed)
Date: 5/10/04 1:06 PM Central Daylight Time

I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:

Host Name: = members.aol.com
Userid: = anonymous
Password: = screenname
Remote Site Folder: = screenname

where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.

Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
work.

Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I get
a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::

Gus

From: (e-mail address removed) (Gus)
Date: 5/12/04 8:36 PM Central Daylight Time

Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I
get
a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::

Niow, when I try to upload a jpg it claims an 550 error and says that oniy
"incoming: directories are guest writable.

????????????????

Arnie Goetchius

Gus said:
Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I get
a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::

Sorry but I gave you some wrong information.

In password, enter "(e-mail address removed)" without the quotes.

Gus

as Spaghetti)" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 5/12/04 9:07 PM Central Daylight Time

Do you mean username?

Yepper, what I'm doing...

I get to log on but cqan not upload, or download single jpgs or a file with
several, get the 550 error...

??????????????

Toby A Inkster

Gus said:
Yepper, what I'm doing...

Well you shouldn't be. He did mean password. User name should be
"anonymous". Password should be your e-mail address.

Arnie Goetchius

Gus said:
Yepper, what I'm doing...

I get to log on but cqan not upload, or download single jpgs or a file with
several, get the 550 error...

??????????????

To repeat with the correct information:

Host Name: = members.aol.com
Userid: = anonymous
Password: = (e-mail address removed)
Remote Site Folder: = screenname

where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.

Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make
this work.

When you connect with WS_FTP, in the address block at the top of
the screen, it should show the following:

ftp://members.aol.com/screename

Do you get that?

Also, under "Site Options" the check blocks for "Anonymous" and
"Save Password" should be checked.

Gus

From: Arnie Goetchius
Host Name: = members.aol.com
Userid: = anonymous
Password: = (e-mail address removed)
Remote Site Folder: = screenname

where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.

Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make
this work.

When you connect with WS_FTP, in the address block at the top of
the screen, it should show the following:

ftp://members.aol.com/screename

Do you get that?

Also, under "Site Options" the check blocks for "Anonymous" and
"Save Password" should be checked.

Yeah, I do that but........ when I am connected, at the top right all I have
is ( /screenname) in the remote site box no matter if I put my scteen name in
the (Profile Name ) box all lower case or as is shown with the caps that I
normally have ...... It does not give me the (
ftp://members.aol.com/screename), just the (/screenname)
I'm going to try to add that to the dropdown list that goes with 'Profile
Names' and see if it will pick it up.

Thanks...
Please keep the help comiong.......

Also, I seem to remember that sometimes the AOL servers were slow to recogonize
new stuff, is that still the case?
Yesterday I did get connecterd correctly and I uploaded a jpg file ands deleted
a couple but just as soon as I disconnected and then a few minutesd later tried
to reconnect, it 550'ed on me and is doing that now still........... Arghhhhh

Arnie Goetchius

Gus said:
Yeah, I do that but........ when I am connected, at the top right all I have
is ( /screenname) in the remote site box no matter if I put my scteen name in
the (Profile Name ) box all lower case or as is shown with the caps that I
normally have ...... It does not give me the (
ftp://members.aol.com/screename), just the (/screenname)

Yes, that is correct for WS_FTP Lite so don't try changing it. The
ftp://members.aol.com/screename I gave you is for WS_FTP Pro which
is what I now use. I had to switch to PRO when I went to DSL but
if you are on dial-up, WS-FTP Lite should work okay.

Gus

From: Arnie Goetchius
Yes, that is correct for WS_FTP Lite so don't try changing it. The
ftp://members.aol.com/screename I gave you is for WS_FTP Pro which
is what I now use. I had to switch to PRO when I went to DSL but
if you are on dial-up, WS-FTP Lite should work okay.

Ahhhh, I was on DSL yesterday..........
I'm on my laptop right now and on dial up at our new place. I will not try to
do anything down here on dial up until I get satelite hook up as that is the
only option here besides dial up or paying $$$$$$ x thousands for a T-1 line
and that ain't happinin.. Direct way Satelite seems to be the most for the
moeny I can afford to put out. Up speed sucks rocks so an efficent FTP is
really important...... So keep the help coming. I could not get it to work
this AM at he DSL connection computer..... I'll be back with new info soon...

Thanks for all the help.......

Arnie Goetchius

Gus said:
Ahhhh, I was on DSL yesterday..........
I'm on my laptop right now and on dial up at our new place. I will not try to
do anything down here on dial up until I get satelite hook up as that is the
only option here besides dial up or paying $$$$$$ x thousands for a T-1 line
and that ain't happinin.. Direct way Satelite seems to be the most for the
moeny I can afford to put out. Up speed sucks rocks so an efficent FTP is
really important...... So keep the help coming. I could not get it to work
this AM at he DSL connection computer..... I'll be back with new info soon...

Thanks for all the help.......

If you can get the dial-up to work with WS_FTP Lite, then you know
you're on the right track. To get it to work on DSL, you will have
to upgrade to WS_FTP Pro which is paid. You can also try Filezilla
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/ which is free but I
don't have any personal experience with it.

Gus

From: Arnie Goetchius
If you can get the dial-up to work with WS_FTP Lite, then you know
you're on the right track. To get it to work on DSL, you will have
to upgrade to WS_FTP Pro which is paid. You can also try Filezilla
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/ which is free but I
don't have any personal experience with it.

Thanks, I'll be working on it and will post as it goes or doesen't.......