    ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and drop
    the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?

    Thanks for the help .......
    Gus, May 9, 2004

  2. Gus wrote:

    > The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
    > errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.

    It's been a very long time since I used AOL (I left it before AOL 4 came
    out, and AOL 9 is the current version), but even back then they allowed
    FTP, so I guess they must now. You'd be best off asking AOL's support
    staff -- that's what you pay your monthly fee for, isn't it?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, May 9, 2004

  3. Gus wrote:
    > I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )
    >
    > I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.
    >
    > The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
    > errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.
    >
    > What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work like my
    > little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on the
    > ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and drop
    > the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?
    >
    > Thanks for the help .......

    I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:

    Host Name: = members.aol.com
    Userid: = anonymous
    Password: = screenname
    Remote Site Folder: = screenname

    where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.

    Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
    work.
    Arnie Goetchius, May 10, 2004
  4. Gus

    Gus Guest

    >Date: 5/10/04 1:06 PM Central Daylight Time
    >
    >Gus wrote:
    >> I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )
    >>
    >> I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.
    >>
    >> The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
    >> errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.
    >>
    >> What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work

    >like my
    >> little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on

    >the
    >> ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and

    >drop
    >> the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help .......

    >I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:
    >
    >Host Name: = members.aol.com
    >Userid: = anonymous
    >Password: = screenname
    >Remote Site Folder: = screenname
    >
    >where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.
    >
    >Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
    >work.

    Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I get
    a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::
    Gus, May 13, 2004
  5. Gus

    Gus Guest

    >From: ent (Gus)
    >Date: 5/12/04 8:36 PM Central Daylight Time
    >

    >>Date: 5/10/04 1:06 PM Central Daylight Time
    >>
    >>Gus wrote:
    >>> I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )
    >>>
    >>> I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.
    >>>
    >>> The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making

    >typing
    >>> errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.
    >>>
    >>> What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work

    >>like my
    >>> little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page

    >on
    >>the
    >>> ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and

    >>drop
    >>> the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the help .......

    >>I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:
    >>
    >>Host Name: = members.aol.com
    >>Userid: = anonymous
    >>Password: = screenname
    >>Remote Site Folder: = screenname
    >>
    >>where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.
    >>
    >>Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
    >>work.
    >>

    >Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I
    >get
    >a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::

    Niow, when I try to upload a jpg it claims an 550 error and says that oniy
    "incoming: directories are guest writable.

    ????????????????
    Gus, May 13, 2004
  6. Gus wrote:

    >>Date: 5/10/04 1:06 PM Central Daylight Time
    >>
    >>Gus wrote:
    >>
    >>>I run Win 98se on a 600hz processor.. ( old and slow, just like me. )
    >>>
    >>>I have an AOHell account and a little page on AOL's 'members' pages.
    >>>
    >>>The way AOL has me upload stuff is very slow and I'm prone to making typing
    >>>errors and it is one thing at a time with several steps.
    >>>
    >>>What would be the simplest and easiest FTP thing to use that would work

    >>like my
    >>
    >>>little local ISP does where I just open my windows explorer and the page on

    >>the
    >>
    >>>ISP that has my -- public_html -- folder at the same time and drag and

    >>drop
    >>
    >>>the indexs and pictures I want into the foder?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for the help .......

    >>I use WS-FTP (free version) with the following settings:
    >>
    >>Host Name: = members.aol.com
    >>Userid: = anonymous
    >>Password: = screenname
    >>Remote Site Folder: = screenname
    >>
    >>where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.
    >>
    >>Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make this
    >>work.
    >>

    > Thanks....... I go that far but now it says I do not have permission or I get
    > a red 505 error????????????? ::: sigh ::::

    Sorry but I gave you some wrong information.

    In password, enter "" without the quotes.
    Arnie Goetchius, May 13, 2004
  7. On Thu, 13 May 2004 01:57:11 GMT, Arnie Goetchius
    <> wrote:

    > In password, enter "" without the quotes.

    Do you mean username?

    Foofy (formerly known as Spaghetti), May 13, 2004
  8. Gus

    Gus Guest

    >as Spaghetti)"
    >Date: 5/12/04 9:07 PM Central Daylight Time
    >
    >On Thu, 13 May 2004 01:57:11 GMT, Arnie Goetchius
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> In password, enter "" without the quotes.

    >Do you mean username?

    Yepper, what I'm doing...

    I get to log on but cqan not upload, or download single jpgs or a file with
    several, get the 550 error...

    ??????????????
    Gus, May 13, 2004
  9. Gus

    mscir Guest

    http://aolsvc.help.search.aol.com/index.adp?query=ftp&x=0&y=0
    mscir, May 13, 2004
  10. Gus wrote:
    > Foofy wrote:
    >> Arnie Goetchius wrote:
    >>
    >>> In password, enter "" without the quotes.

    >> Do you mean username?

    > Yepper, what I'm doing...

    Well you shouldn't be. He did mean password. User name should be
    "anonymous". Password should be your e-mail address.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, May 13, 2004
  11. Gus wrote:
    >>as Spaghetti)"
    >>Date: 5/12/04 9:07 PM Central Daylight Time
    >>
    >>On Thu, 13 May 2004 01:57:11 GMT, Arnie Goetchius
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In password, enter "" without the quotes.

    >>Do you mean username?
    >>

    > Yepper, what I'm doing...
    >
    > I get to log on but cqan not upload, or download single jpgs or a file with
    > several, get the 550 error...
    >
    > ??????????????

    To repeat with the correct information:

    Host Name: = members.aol.com
    Userid: = anonymous
    Password: =
    Remote Site Folder: = screenname

    where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.

    Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make
    this work.

    When you connect with WS_FTP, in the address block at the top of
    the screen, it should show the following:

    ftp://members.aol.com/screename

    Do you get that?

    Also, under "Site Options" the check blocks for "Anonymous" and
    "Save Password" should be checked.
    Arnie Goetchius, May 13, 2004
  12. Gus

    Gus Guest

    >From: Arnie Goetchius
    >
    >Host Name: = members.aol.com
    >Userid: = anonymous
    >Password: =
    >Remote Site Folder: = screenname
    >
    >where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.
    >
    >Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make
    >this work.
    >
    >When you connect with WS_FTP, in the address block at the top of
    >the screen, it should show the following:
    >
    >ftp://members.aol.com/screename
    >
    >Do you get that?
    >
    >Also, under "Site Options" the check blocks for "Anonymous" and
    >"Save Password" should be checked.

    Yeah, I do that but........ when I am connected, at the top right all I have
    is ( /screenname) in the remote site box no matter if I put my scteen name in
    the (Profile Name ) box all lower case or as is shown with the caps that I
    normally have ...... It does not give me the (
    ftp://members.aol.com/screename), just the (/screenname)
    I'm going to try to add that to the dropdown list that goes with 'Profile
    Names' and see if it will pick it up.

    Thanks...
    Please keep the help comiong.......

    Also, I seem to remember that sometimes the AOL servers were slow to recogonize
    new stuff, is that still the case?
    Yesterday I did get connecterd correctly and I uploaded a jpg file ands deleted
    a couple but just as soon as I disconnected and then a few minutesd later tried
    to reconnect, it 550'ed on me and is doing that now still........... Arghhhhh
    Gus, May 13, 2004
  13. Gus wrote:

    >>From: Arnie Goetchius
    >>
    >>Host Name: = members.aol.com
    >>Userid: = anonymous
    >>Password: =
    >>Remote Site Folder: = screenname
    >>
    >>where "screenname" is what ever screenname to which you are uploading.
    >>
    >>Note: You must be logged on to the AOL screenname in order to make
    >>this work.
    >>
    >>When you connect with WS_FTP, in the address block at the top of
    >>the screen, it should show the following:
    >>
    >>ftp://members.aol.com/screename
    >>
    >>Do you get that?
    >>
    >>Also, under "Site Options" the check blocks for "Anonymous" and
    >>"Save Password" should be checked.
    >>

    > Yeah, I do that but........ when I am connected, at the top right all I have
    > is ( /screenname) in the remote site box no matter if I put my scteen name in
    > the (Profile Name ) box all lower case or as is shown with the caps that I
    > normally have ...... It does not give me the (
    > ftp://members.aol.com/screename), just the (/screenname)

    Yes, that is correct for WS_FTP Lite so don't try changing it. The
    ftp://members.aol.com/screename I gave you is for WS_FTP Pro which
    is what I now use. I had to switch to PRO when I went to DSL but
    if you are on dial-up, WS-FTP Lite should work okay.

    Arnie Goetchius, May 13, 2004
  14. Gus

    Gus Guest

    >From: Arnie Goetchius

    >Yes, that is correct for WS_FTP Lite so don't try changing it. The
    >ftp://members.aol.com/screename I gave you is for WS_FTP Pro which
    >is what I now use. I had to switch to PRO when I went to DSL but
    >if you are on dial-up, WS-FTP Lite should work okay.

    Ahhhh, I was on DSL yesterday..........
    I'm on my laptop right now and on dial up at our new place. I will not try to
    do anything down here on dial up until I get satelite hook up as that is the
    only option here besides dial up or paying $$$$$$ x thousands for a T-1 line
    and that ain't happinin.. Direct way Satelite seems to be the most for the
    moeny I can afford to put out. Up speed sucks rocks so an efficent FTP is
    really important...... So keep the help coming. I could not get it to work
    this AM at he DSL connection computer..... I'll be back with new info soon...

    Thanks for all the help.......
    Gus, May 14, 2004
  15. Gus wrote:

    >>From: Arnie Goetchius

    >>Yes, that is correct for WS_FTP Lite so don't try changing it. The
    >>ftp://members.aol.com/screename I gave you is for WS_FTP Pro which
    >>is what I now use. I had to switch to PRO when I went to DSL but
    >>if you are on dial-up, WS-FTP Lite should work okay.

    > Ahhhh, I was on DSL yesterday..........
    > I'm on my laptop right now and on dial up at our new place. I will not try to
    > do anything down here on dial up until I get satelite hook up as that is the
    > only option here besides dial up or paying $$$$$$ x thousands for a T-1 line
    > and that ain't happinin.. Direct way Satelite seems to be the most for the
    > moeny I can afford to put out. Up speed sucks rocks so an efficent FTP is
    > really important...... So keep the help coming. I could not get it to work
    > this AM at he DSL connection computer..... I'll be back with new info soon...
    >
    > Thanks for all the help.......

    If you can get the dial-up to work with WS_FTP Lite, then you know
    you're on the right track. To get it to work on DSL, you will have
    to upgrade to WS_FTP Pro which is paid. You can also try Filezilla
    at http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/ which is free but I
    don't have any personal experience with it.
    Arnie Goetchius, May 14, 2004
  16. Gus

    Gus Guest

    >From: Arnie Goetchius

    >If you can get the dial-up to work with WS_FTP Lite, then you know
    >you're on the right track. To get it to work on DSL, you will have
    >to upgrade to WS_FTP Pro which is paid. You can also try Filezilla
    >at http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/ which is free but I
    >don't have any personal experience with it.

    Thanks, I'll be working on it and will post as it goes or doesen't.......
    Gus, May 14, 2004