FTP'ing with user sub-accounts

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mondola, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Mondola

    Mondola Guest

    Hello,

    with some of the sites I've designed, I need to set up FTP accounts for
    other members of my design team, but I've had problems in getting these
    users acct's to work. I've tried 2 or 3 different hosting services that I
    have sites with, and cuteFTP still can't get into my site with the "ftp user
    account" info that I've entered.

    There's only 3 paramters here to work with, username (login name), password,
    and directory. The password's a no-brainer, scratch that. For the login
    name, it seems they use an "email address format", ie,
    . I've tried both "username" alone and the email
    format with no luck.

    The "directory" parameter is not well-explained in the control panel help
    files at these hosting services. I have chosen a special folder under my
    root website folder that I want these guests to FTP to, called "upload".
    So, I've tried (for the remote directory parameter) simply "upload", then
    "/upload/", then, "public_html/upload/", then even the longer more obscure
    pathnames required that end in "public_html" with "/upload" tacked on to the
    end.

    But nothing works.

    Although I've entered my new user's password in the FTP setup, CuteFTP
    always opens a little dialog box with a blank password field, but I keeps
    popping back up blank again. (error 530 Login incorrect)

    Is there something dreadfully obvious here that I'm missing? (the chmod on
    the new upload folder is 755)

    thanks for any helpful hints...

    Mondo

    Mondola, Aug 2, 2004

  2. "Mondola" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > with some of the sites I've designed, I need to set up FTP accounts for
    > other members of my design team, but I've had problems in getting these
    > users acct's to work. I've tried 2 or 3 different hosting services that I
    > have sites with, and cuteFTP still can't get into my site with the "ftp

    user
    > account" info that I've entered.

    Since different hosts configure their servers differently...you need to
    contact your host for technical support. They can surely tell you how to
    get that to work correctly.

    --Tina
    --
    FREE: Web hosting accounts
    HOSTING: Cpanel, Multi-domains, Resellers

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Aug 2, 2004

  3. Mondola

    Arondelle Guest

    Mondola wrote:

    > There's only 3 paramters here to work with, username (login name), password,
    > and directory. The password's a no-brainer, scratch that. For the login
    > name, it seems they use an "email address format", ie,
    > . I've tried both "username" alone and the email
    > format with no luck.
    >
    > The "directory" parameter is not well-explained in the control panel help
    > files at these hosting services. I have chosen a special folder under my
    > root website folder that I want these guests to FTP to, called "upload".
    > So, I've tried (for the remote directory parameter) simply "upload", then
    > "/upload/", then, "public_html/upload/", then even the longer more obscure
    > pathnames required that end in "public_html" with "/upload" tacked on to the
    > end.
    >
    > But nothing works.
    >
    > Although I've entered my new user's password in the FTP setup, CuteFTP
    > always opens a little dialog box with a blank password field, but I keeps
    > popping back up blank again. (error 530 Login incorrect)

    Odd. I use CuteFTP 4.2.3 and I have 4 fields to fill in: Host
    (ftp.somedomain.com), User Name (whatever), Password (******) and Port
    (21). It's never asked me for a specific directory and always rejects
    email addresses.

    I've found that CuteFTP only takes me to my root directory, and expects
    me to navigate to the proper folder by myself.

    Arondelle
    To email me, empty the pond with a net

    Arondelle, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Mondola

    Mondola Guest

    > > Although I've entered my new user's password in the FTP setup, CuteFTP
    > > always opens a little dialog box with a blank password field, but I

    keeps
    > > popping back up blank again. (error 530 Login incorrect)

    > Odd. I use CuteFTP 4.2.3 and I have 4 fields to fill in: Host
    > (ftp.somedomain.com), User Name (whatever), Password (******) and Port
    > (21). It's never asked me for a specific directory and always rejects
    > email addresses.

    Yes, agreed. There is the Host Name parameter too. Some use an IP#, some a
    web server name, some an FTP server name. In all cases where I'm
    establishing user sub-accounts, I've duplicated all settings to my regular
    "admin" login, then substituted the 3 new settings asked for me when I
    create the user subaccounts in my host's control panel.

    It's funny that not more site designers in this group have not had
    experiences with ftp sub's. There must be some crazy little detail i've
    overlooked; it shoudn't be this difficult. ( just dont want to spend hours
    waiting on telephone lines for help desks)

    > I've found that CuteFTP only takes me to my root directory, and expects
    > me to navigate to the proper folder by myself.

    Actually Arondelle, I'd advise up'ing to CuteFTP 6 >> its' much improved -
    very nice GUI. Their last 2 versions have been pretty spiffy. It's a
    reasonable price too.

    Mondola, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Mondola

    Mondola Guest

    solved it.

    my password was 6 characters.
    they needed 8.

    Funny that on 3 different hosting services the password was accepted and not
    anywhere was it mentioned about 8 char long.

    it's called "clear communication", Martha.
    a rare and unique facet of human existence.

    Mondola, Aug 3, 2004