full justification in text navigation header

Discussion in 'HTML' started by gorf, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. gorf

    gorf Guest

    I've been playing with this and I can't seem to get what I want without
    using absolute positioning with tables and fixed font sizes.

    I'd like to have a row of navigation elements that are fully justified
    with even spacing between the elements...

    [text longtext longertext longesttext]

    The site's audience will be visually inclined so I'm not so much worried
    about text readers, rather I want the page to load quickly and I want it
    to work with a variety of browsers and size settings (Firefox ignores
    fixed font size and I prefer relative anyway).

    I also tried a CSS / unordered list solution and it looks fantastic
    except that the last link isn't necessarily up against the right side
    like I was hoping to do. It looks okay but the customer (my wife)
    doesn't like it and I personally find the fully justified menu more
    appealing visually.

    Any suggestions on how to achieve this effect in Firefox/IE and
    hopefully other browsers (Safari, Opera, Netscape) within 2 sizes of the
    browser's "normal" text size?

    Thanks!

    --
    gorf
    gorf, Aug 13, 2005

  2. gorf

    Spartanicus Guest

    gorf <> wrote:

    >I'd like to have a row of navigation elements that are fully justified
    >with even spacing between the elements...
    >
    >[text longtext longertext longesttext]

    Bad choice, on wider viewports the spaces become ridiculously large,
    wrapping would be a problem on smaller viewports.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 13, 2005

  3. gorf

    gorf Guest

    gorf wrote:
    <snip>

    > I'd like to have a row of navigation elements that are fully justified
    > with even spacing between the elements...
    >
    > [text longtext longertext longesttext]

    <snip>

    > Any suggestions on how to achieve this effect in Firefox/IE and
    > hopefully other browsers (Safari, Opera, Netscape) within 2 sizes of the
    > browser's "normal" text size?

    Just thought I'd share, played around some more with the horizontal
    unordered list and got what I wanted...

    Special thanks to this guy's site for the original idea...
    <http://www.builderau.com.au/program/web/0,39024632,20283056,00.htm>

    I took that approach and then centered the entire list, makes the nav
    elements perfectly spaced and centered such that the right element is
    just as far from the right as the left is from the left side. Fantastic.

    I can resize in IE and Firefox (only 1 size up from normal but that's
    acceptable) and the page looks fine.

    I'll check back in case anyone has anything extra to add... thanks in
    advance for any ideas/tips/suggestions!

    --
    gorf
    gorf, Aug 13, 2005
  4. gorf

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, gorf quothed:

    > ...It looks okay but the customer (my wife)
    > doesn't like it and I personally find the fully justified menu more
    > appealing visually.

    Uh huh. A wise man does not disagree with the customer but a wiser man
    avoids certain customers to begin with.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 14, 2005