Fullscreen

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Traveller, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    Hello!

    I've got this little script that if one presses a link, a full screen
    opens. Is it possible that screen opens itself full screen? What I
    would like to do, is that my opening page starts with a full screen.


    I hope someone can help.


    regards

    martin
    Traveller, Jan 9, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Traveller

    lallous Guest

    Hello,

    It is possible to have the page open itself in fullscreen automatically.
    You would need two pages AFAIK.
    The first page would do a window.open() to open the second page in a full
    screen mode.
    Then the second page can close the opener of the opener closes itself.

    --
    Elias
    "Traveller" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've got this little script that if one presses a link, a full screen
    > opens. Is it possible that screen opens itself full screen? What I
    > would like to do, is that my opening page starts with a full screen.
    >
    >
    > I hope someone can help.
    >
    >
    > regards
    >
    > martin
    lallous, Jan 9, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. You can't close the first instance of a webpage i.e in this case open page
    one, open with window and close the opener, you will get an alert message.

    Stu

    "lallous" <> wrote in message
    news:btluvu$8m6ht$-berlin.de...
    > Hello,
    >
    > It is possible to have the page open itself in fullscreen automatically.
    > You would need two pages AFAIK.
    > The first page would do a window.open() to open the second page in a full
    > screen mode.
    > Then the second page can close the opener of the opener closes itself.
    >
    > --
    > Elias
    > "Traveller" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > I've got this little script that if one presses a link, a full screen
    > > opens. Is it possible that screen opens itself full screen? What I
    > > would like to do, is that my opening page starts with a full screen.
    > >
    > >
    > > I hope someone can help.
    > >
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > martin

    >
    >
    Stuart Palmer, Jan 9, 2004
    #3
  4. "Krzysztof Kubiak" <> wrote in message
    news:btm96n$7ru$...
    >>
    >>Really?
    >>
    >><script type="text/javascript">
    >>window.opener = window;
    >>window.close();
    >></script>
    >>

    >
    >This one's really tricky - I didn't know one could
    >do that. Very nice !!!


    Because there are reasonably common browsers where it doesn't work (and
    indeed throws exceptions) it can still be argued that it is not possible
    to *reliably* close a window that has not been opened with JavaScript.
    And it is possible that browsers that currently allow it will not allow
    it in future (though Randy will point out that no one seems to be in a
    hurry to fix this "bug" if I don't mention that first).

    But you should also consider the consequences of this action for the
    user. Closing the browser that they opened and have been using may
    deprive them of their browsing history. Say, the possibility of going
    back to their last page of search results and carrying on their
    research. Shutting down the software that someone else is using without
    their permission should be considered an unacceptable thing to be
    attempting. It will annoy some and reflect badly on any site that does
    it, no matter how important the authors of that site misguidedly thinks
    doing that may be.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jan 9, 2004
    #4
  5. Traveller

    Lee Guest

    Richard Cornford said:
    >
    >"Krzysztof Kubiak" <> wrote in message
    >news:btm96n$7ru$...
    >>>
    >>>Really?
    >>>
    >>><script type="text/javascript">
    >>>window.opener = window;
    >>>window.close();
    >>></script>
    >>>

    >>
    >>This one's really tricky - I didn't know one could
    >>do that. Very nice !!!

    >
    >Because there are reasonably common browsers where it doesn't work (and
    >indeed throws exceptions) it can still be argued that it is not possible
    >to *reliably* close a window that has not been opened with JavaScript.
    >And it is possible that browsers that currently allow it will not allow
    >it in future (though Randy will point out that no one seems to be in a
    >hurry to fix this "bug" if I don't mention that first).
    >
    >But you should also consider the consequences of this action for the
    >user. Closing the browser that they opened and have been using may
    >deprive them of their browsing history. Say, the possibility of going
    >back to their last page of search results and carrying on their
    >research. Shutting down the software that someone else is using without
    >their permission should be considered an unacceptable thing to be
    >attempting. It will annoy some and reflect badly on any site that does
    >it, no matter how important the authors of that site misguidedly thinks
    >doing that may be.


    Absolutely!

    Among the most despicable things that a site can do are:
    - Close my window.
    - Change any feature of my window (particularly make it fullscreen).
    - Play music.
    Lee, Jan 9, 2004
    #5
  6. Traveller

    DB McGee Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > Absolutely!
    >
    > Among the most despicable things that a site can do are:
    > - Close my window.
    > - Change any feature of my window (particularly make it fullscreen).
    > - Play music.


    Hehe :)

    Play music is definitely one of the most annoying things. And I'm finding that
    with more and more sites being developed with increasing amounts of Flash, that
    there is a corresponding tendency to add audio elements. Nothing worse than
    madly hunting around for the control to mute the audio - if there even is one!
    DB McGee, Jan 9, 2004
    #6
  7. "DB McGee" <> wrote in message
    news:09CLb.44551$...
    <snip>
    >>Among the most despicable things that a site can do are:
    >>- Close my window.
    >>- Change any feature of my window (particularly make it fullscreen).
    >>- Play music.

    <snip>
    >... . Nothing worse than madly hunting around for
    >the control to mute the audio - if there even is one!


    In the absence of an unambiguous and evident mute control the browser's
    back button shuts noisy sites up fairly quickly. ;-)

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jan 9, 2004
    #7
  8. "HikksNotAtHome" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >>In the absence of an unambiguous and evident mute control the
    >>browser's back button shuts noisy sites up fairly quickly. ;-)

    >
    >Theres no back button, remember? I closed the original window <g>


    Drat, its got to be Alt+F4 then. :)

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jan 10, 2004
    #8
  9. (HikksNotAtHome) writes:

    > The irony is that I would actually love to see it fixed in IE/Opera. Maybe
    > Lasse can test it in the newer Opera that he has to see what it does there.


    It's not just me, anybody wanting to be pre-beta-tester can download it.
    See <URL:http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=eb623d127146b3f679d753ec0206c2b4&threadid=39541>

    Actully, Opera allows me to close the window with no warning, just by
    calling window.close. Then I press Ctrl-Z to reopen it, so it's not a
    big loss :) I use MDI, so it won't close the application.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
    'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jan 10, 2004
    #9
  10. Traveller

    Jim Ley Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:00:49 -0000, "Richard Cornford"
    <> wrote:

    >"HikksNotAtHome" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >>>In the absence of an unambiguous and evident mute control the
    >>>browser's back button shuts noisy sites up fairly quickly. ;-)

    >>
    >>Theres no back button, remember? I closed the original window <g>

    >
    >Drat, its got to be Alt+F4 then. :)


    backspace or the "forwards/backwards" special keys that even my laptop
    manages...

    Jim.
    --
    comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq/
    Jim Ley, Jan 10, 2004
    #10
  11. (HikksNotAtHome) writes:

    > If the page is calling window.close(), to close it, and you Ctrl-Z to reopen
    > it, and it closes itself again........ ??


    That is a problem. Then I would have to disable Javascript while I reopen it:
    F12,J,Ctrl+Z, do something, F12,J
    But yes, it would be nice with a warning.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
    'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jan 10, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Steffen Loringer

    Fullscreen of IE

    Steffen Loringer, Jan 29, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    463
    Anatoly
    Jan 29, 2004
  2. Steve F.
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,801
    bruce barker
    Feb 10, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCYW5raGVhZA==?=

    Fullscreen Mode

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCYW5raGVhZA==?=, Apr 15, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    558
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCYW5raGVhZA==?=
    Apr 18, 2005
  4. Ashak
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    413
    Ashak
    Aug 28, 2003
  5. eeyimaya
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    384
    Tim Tyler
    Nov 27, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page