fully editable datagrid causing crash

fizzy

i need to display up to possibly a few hundred rows from a database
table in a datagrid that is fully editable.

there need to be 5 editable numerical columns as textboxes and 2 non
editable columns (strings) and a delete button for each row.

after reading several tutorials on the web, i got something together.

the only problem was that once i tried it for a substantial number of
rows, say 60, the script would start hanging in internet explorer.
in firefox, i actually got a dialog box stating that a script on the
page was causing things to run slowly and i should terminate it!

i must be just trying to load too much in one page? is there any way
around this, or will i have to break up my table using paging?

thanks in advance...

Elton Wang

You might try to disable viewstate of the datagrid. It can improve the
performance. However, it also disables some functionality of the datagrid.

HTH

Elton Wang

fizzy

thanks elton.
i'll give it a go - i tend to get a bit confused about when i can
disable viewstate and when it is best not to.
i have disabled it in the past and it has actually slowed things down a
lot!?
what functionality is lost without viewstate?