Fun with numbers - dammit, but I want a cast!

Graham Nicholls

Hi.

I'm having some fun with numbers. I've extraced an image sizes from a jpeg
file

img_x,img_y=image.getsize()

then I'm trying to use those sizes to scale the image, but because python
has decided that they are integers, I keep getting division by zero errors

eg
xscale=xframe/img_x

where xframe will be say 300, and img_x will be 1800
xscale has the value 0.

I've tried doing img_x=1.0 to force it to be a float, but I'm getting a bit
frustrated as it seems to make no difference - once image.getsize returns
the (integer) value of the x size, it simply converts back to an int. I've
tried this at the command line, and it seems to confirm that behaviour -
eg:
graham@rocklap:~/work/hsb/pdflive> python
Python 2.3b1 (#3, Jun 17 2003, 23:06:11)
[GCC 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)] on linux2

Heres the relevant code in full:

img_x=1.0
img_y=1.0
img_x,img_y=image.getsize()
except "Not_JPEG":
if warn:
print ("WARNING: Image file %s is not a jpeg file" % fname)
sys.exit(OPEN_ERR)
# How many pixels per mm do we have
# On a4 paper, using pdfrw ? Docs seem to suggest between 60-160
# which seems a lot.

xscale=1.0
yscale=1.0
scale=1.0
xscale=1/(xframe/img_x)
yscale=1/(yframe/img_y)
#import pdb
#pdb.set_trace()
print ("xscale=%f,yscale=%f" %(xscale,yscale))
scale=min(xscale,yscale) * 100
print ("xframe=%d,yframe=%d, x=%d,y=%d scale=%f\n" %(xframe, yframe,
img_x, img_y, scale))

I'd really appreciate some help, thanks!
Graham

Charl P. Botha

then I'm trying to use those sizes to scale the image, but because python
has decided that they are integers, I keep getting division by zero errors

eg
xscale=xframe/img_x

where xframe will be say 300, and img_x will be 1800
xscale has the value 0.

Have you tried doing it this way:
xscale = xframe / float(img_x)

Duncan Booth

eg
xscale=xframe/img_x

where xframe will be say 300, and img_x will be 1800
xscale has the value 0.

I've tried doing img_x=1.0 to force it to be a float, but I'm getting
a bit frustrated as it seems to make no difference - once
image.getsize returns the (integer) value of the x size, it simply
converts back to an int.

Variables don't have types in Python, objects have types. Assigning a float
object to a variable doesn't have any effect on the type of the next
object assigned to the same variable.

To get the behaviour you want either convert at least one of your values to
a float:

xscale = float(xframe)/img_x

or add the following 'magic' line to the top of your sourcefile:

from __future__ import division

If your file has that line at the top, division will behave more the way
you expect: casting to float automatically whenever you divide integers.

Richard Brodie

I've tried doing img_x=1.0 to force it to be a float, but I'm getting a bit
frustrated as it seems to make no difference - once image.getsize returns
the (integer) value of the x size, it simply converts back to an int.

Yes. Types are properties of values, not names. There is no implied
declaration: you can assign a float to img_x then later an int, string,
function or whatever.

To get floating point division you can use a cast like syntax, by using
the builtin float() function.
0.5

In future versions of Python, / will become a floating point division operator.
// will be used for truncating division. For compatibility, you need to
explicitly enable the new behaviour at present, either with a from __future__
or a -Q option. These activate Guido's famous time machine, which add
new features to Python before you ask for them.
0

U:\>python -Qwarn
ActivePython 2.2.2 Build 224 (ActiveState Corp.) based on
Python 2.2.2 (#37, Nov 26 2002, 10:24:37) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.__main__:1: DeprecationWarning: classic int division
0

Torsten Marek

Graham said:
[...]

The type of a variable does not depend on the type it was initialized with.
You could do
t = 1
t = 1.1
t = "1"
t = [1,]
and the type changes each time. There is no concept of "int xscale" what
you might have in mind.
You just should convert the integer into a float with
xscale=1/(xframe/float(img_x)).

greetings
Torsten

Istvan Albert

Graham said:
Thats what I wanted to do, but was sure I'd read that python didn't have
casts, and that _looks_ like a cast to me!

You can also force floating point math by muliplying with 1.0
before the division:

xscale = 1.0 * xframe/img_x

Istvan.

Alex Martelli

Graham Nicholls wrote:
Thats what I wanted to do, but was sure I'd read that python didn't have
casts, and that _looks_ like a cast to me!

Well, Python surely has the ability to create new objects, and the most
typical way to do that is to call a type, possibly passing it, as the
call's arguments, the value that direct the new object's creation.

So, for example, if you have a string S and want to create a list L
whose items are the string's characters, you typically code:

L = list(S)

Similarly, if you have a number N and want to create a float F whose
value is the floating-point equivalent of N's value, you code:

F = float(N)

Whether these are "casts" is, I guess, a pretty moot issue. Me, I'd
call them "type calls" (or "explicit constructor calls" if I were in a C++
mood:), reserving the terminology "cast" for the C/Java notation:

(sometype)somevalue

or the C++ notations of forms such as:

static_cast<sometype>(somevalue)

But, of course (in C++), explicitly calling a costructor of (e.g.) float,
with an integer argument; or statically casting an int to float; or even
using the old C-ish "prepended type in parenthesis" notation; have much
the same effect in most contexts. As long as you're quite clear that
what you're actually doing is "create a new value of a specified type
by calling the type with suitable argument", rather than (the typical
idea of "cast") "reinterpreting an existing value AS IF it was of some
other type rather than of the type it actually is", it may not be a
problem if you like to call the operation "a cast".

Alex

Graham Nicholls

Istvan said:
You can also force floating point math by muliplying with 1.0
before the division:

xscale = 1.0 * xframe/img_x

Istvan.
Thanks everybody! I'm now sorted with numbers. At least 2.0+2.0 now equals
about 4.0, anyway.
Graham

Erik Max Francis

Graham said:
Thats what I wanted to do, but was sure I'd read that python didn't
have
casts, and that _looks_ like a cast to me!

It's a function call, not a conversion. Even in C++, conversion by
constructor is not considered a cast. A cast would be:

xframe/static_cast<float>(image_x)

and there is no analogous structure to this in Python.

Erik Max Francis

Terry said:
No, quite different. A C cast (at least usually) recasts a block of
bits in a new role without changing the bits. Type constructors
(unless redundant as in int(1)) return a different object with a
different set of bits.

Well, the issue is that, in C, a cast can mean a lot of different
things. That's why, in C++, casts are separated into template like
syntaxes depending on their purpose. The unsafe form of C cast is a
reinterpret_cast in C++, and sometimes a const_cast (if you actually
cast away constness of a truly const object and then attempt to mutate
it). The other two -- static_cast and dynamic_cast -- are "safe" in the
sense of being well-defined when the compiler accepts them, and merely
invoke a well-defined conversion and do a runtime type cast,
respectively.

Istvan Albert

Andrew said:
Python is going to change its behavior so that division always
returns a floating-point value. This statement causes that new
behavior to occur now.

Will there be a keyword/function for integer division after that?

Not that my opinion has any weight in this matter, but I got used
to integer division as default behavior after all C, and java
work that way too, it is not like it is a pythonic oddity.

Once it gets implemented then there will be numerous questions about
doing integer division.

Istvan.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hannu_Kankaanp=E4=E4?=

Andrew Koenig said:
2) At the beginning of your source file, execute:

from __future__ import division

Python is going to change its behavior so that division always
returns a floating-point value. This statement causes that new
behavior to occur now.

By the way, do you know a reason why after doing

from __future__ import division

this still happens:
1.0

Wouldn't it be more convenient to present the resulting whole
number as an integer now, since division operation on integers
works correctly? At least IMO the operation
1

would be more convenient and natural, and floor division could then be
used to get array indices for example:

print arr[position // scale]

Not that I -really- care either way, since casting division result
to int isn't verbose either. Just curious, if you or anyone
knows the reason for new floor div working this way.

Carl Banks

Terry said:
No, quite different. A C cast (at least usually) recasts a block of
bits in a new role without changing the bits.

Certainly not. Most type casts actually change bits. For example,
supposing floats and longs are both 32 bits, the expression (float)1L
will *not* return the floating point number with the same bit pattern
as 1L. It returns 1.0.

Usually, the only casts that preserve the bit pattern are integer to
pointer casts, and the C standard doesn't even guarantee that (unless
C 2000 changed it). In fact, the C standard says (or used to say)
that 0 must always cast to a null pointer, even if the system
represents integer 0 and null pointer with different bits, which does
(or used to) happen.

IMO, a type cast is just a fancy name for an operator that takes an
object and returns an object with the same "value" (whatever that
means) but a different type. In C, type casting happens to have a
funny syntax. In Python, it does not. If someone asked, "does Python
have type casting?", I would say yes, except there's no special syntax
for it. Rather, type casting is done by the calling type objects
themselves.

Carl Banks

Erik said:
Some casts do. Some merely invoke conversions.

But the C++ equivalent, something like (float) 1, would _not_ return the
floating point number with the same bit pattern as 1L either. It would
simply invoke the conversion from int to float. What you're talking
about would be something like *(float *) &i.

It seems you didn't read what I wrote carefully. I was talking about
C, not C++. Neither I nor the post I replied to mentioned C++ once.
I mentioned the C standard several times, never the C++ standard.

Type casts in C are as I described.

Bengt Richter

[...]

Well, there is one way to look at existing bits exactly as they are in
terms of an alternate type representation. The easy way is to do reinterpret cast
on a pointer to change a pointer to the old type into a pointer to a new type,
without changing location. E.g., how else to print out the bit representation
of something? E.g., here's a hack to see floats and doubles as little-ending python strings:

====< castf.c >======================================
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
float f4;
double f8;
int i;
if(argc<2){ printf("Usage: castf <floating point number for atof>\n"); return 0;}
f8 = atof(argv[1]); f4=f8;
printf("\"");
for(i=0; i<sizeof(f4); ++i){ printf("\\x%02x",((unsigned char *)(&f4)));};
printf("\"\n");
printf("\"");
for(i=0; i<sizeof(f8); ++i){ printf("\\x%02x",((unsigned char *)(&f8)));};
printf("\"\n");
return 0;
[18:04] C:\pywk\clp>castf
Usage: castf <floating point number for atof>

[18:04] C:\pywk\clp>castf 1.625
"\x00\x00\xd0\x3f"
"\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\xfa\x3f"

[18:04] C:\pywk\clp>castf -1.625
"\x00\x00\xd0\xbf"
"\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\xfa\xbf"

[18:04] C:\pywk\clp>castf 0
"\x00\x00\x00\x00"
"\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00"

[18:04] C:\pywk\clp>castf 1
"\x00\x00\x80\x3f"
"\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\xf0\x3f"

[18:04] C:\pywk\clp>castf -1
"\x00\x00\x80\xbf"
"\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\xf0\xbf"

Actually, it's a little confusing to look at numbers in that order, especially
since the hex for the bits in the bytes is big-end-on-the-left ;-)

2**54-1 (naturally I used python to get the number ;-)
[18:12] C:\pywk\clp>castf 18014398509481983
"\x00\x00\x80\x5a"
"\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\x4f\x43"

2**53-1
[18:12] C:\pywk\clp>castf 9007199254740991
"\x00\x00\x00\x5a"
"\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\x3f\x43"

2**52-2**12
[18:12] C:\pywk\clp>castf 9007199254736896
"\x00\x00\x00\x5a"
"\x00\xf0\xff\xff\xff\xff\x3f\x43"
^^ ^-bits 8-11 (the f is bits 12-15)
^^-bits 0-7

Of course, the cleaner way would have been to factor that instead of cutting and pasting:
Some architectures might not like addressing arbitrary bytes, but we'll leave that as exercise
material ;-)

====< castf.c >======================================
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void prnch(void *pthing, int n){
int i;
printf("\"");
for(i=0; i<n; ++i){ printf("\\x%02x",((unsigned char *)(pthing)));};
printf("\"\n");
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
float f4; double f8;
if(argc<2){ printf("Usage: castf <floating point number for atof>\n"); return 0;}
f8 = atof(argv[1]); f4=f8;
prnch(&f4, sizeof(f4));
prnch(&f8, sizeof(f8));
return 0;
Regards,
Bengt Richter

Terry Reedy

Carl Banks said:
Certainly not. Most type casts actually change bits.

From what I remember both in my own code and others that I have read,
most casts, where 'most' is measured in frequency of occurence in
actual code, which is what I meant by 'usually'. are pointer casts
where no bits are changed (at least on platforms I have had experience
with). Your experience could be different.
For example,
supposing floats and longs are both 32 bits, the expression (float)1L
will *not* return the floating point number with the same bit pattern
as 1L. It returns 1.0.

My awareness of this possibility is one reason I added the qualifier
'at least usually'. However, C's coercion rules make (in my
experience) explicit number casts rare in actual occurances. Standard
C made them even rarer than in K&R C by adding autoconversion of
function arguments, so that, for instance, sqrt((double) 4) could
shrink to sqrt(4).
Usually, the only casts that preserve the bit pattern are integer to
pointer casts,

You left out pointer to pointer casts, which I believe are the most
common of all!
and the C standard doesn't even guarantee that (unless
C 2000 changed it). In fact, the C standard says (or used to say)
that 0 must always cast to a null pointer, even if the system
represents integer 0 and null pointer with different bits, which does
(or used to) happen.

On which systems? How widely used? I also added 'at least usually'
to account for systems I don't know about ;-)
IMO, a type cast is just a fancy name for an operator that takes an
object and returns an object with the same "value" (whatever that
means) but a different type. In C, type casting happens to have a
funny syntax. In Python, it does not. If someone asked, "does Python
have type casting?", I would say yes, except there's no special syntax
for it. Rather, type casting is done by the calling type objects
themselves.

In my opinion, it is unhelpful to refer to type-function calls as
casts. To me, the baggage 'cast' carries is more confusing than
helpful. For instance, a common conversion, between number and
string, cannot be done in C with a type cast but must also (as in
Python) be done with a function call. Would you call C's atoi(),
atof(), and sprintf casts? In C, the 'funny syntax' defines what I
believe most people call a type cast versus a function call. This is
certainly true for both K&R and the Standard C committee.

Terry J. Reedy

Bengt Richter

C++ was mentioned by the original poster; either way, C and C++ casts
act precisely the same in this context. (float) 1 and *(float *) &i
have precisely the same meanings both in C and C++.
<nit>With (float) 1 it can optimize to one instruction with immediate
operand constant. With the other it needs (at least on x86) to move via
EAX, for two instructions (e.g., assigning the resp values).

Where x&y are extern floats, to make sure unused vars don't get optimized away:

; 3 : int i = 1;

00004 c7 45 fc 01 00
00 00 mov DWORD PTR _i$[ebp], 1

; 4 : x = (float) 1;

0000b c7 05 00 00 00
00 00 00 80 3f mov DWORD PTR _x, 1065353216 ; 3f800000H

; 5 : y = *(float *) &i;

00015 8b 45 fc mov eax, DWORD PTR _i$[ebp]
00018 a3 00 00 00 00 mov DWORD PTR _y, eax

I agree the bits are just being moved in either case for assignment. But
then if you multiply by 5.0, the compiler will fold one constant expression,
but not the other (even with max optimizimg and declaring const stuff not shown here)

; 3 : int i = 1;

00004 c7 45 fc 01 00
00 00 mov DWORD PTR _i$[ebp], 1

; 4 : x = 5.0*((float) 1);

0000b c7 05 00 00 00
00 00 00 a0 40 mov DWORD PTR _x, 1084227584 ; 40a00000H

; 5 : y = 5.0*(*(float *) &i);

00015 d9 45 fc fld DWORD PTR _i$[ebp]
00018 dc 0d 00 00 00
00 fmul QWORD PTR __real@8@4001a000000000000000
0001e d9 1d 00 00 00
00 fstp DWORD PTR _y

</nit>

So what a source spelling "really means" depends on what aspect you are concentrating,
I think you might agree? Sometimes the context does not result in code that will
"act precisely the same." Depending ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Erik Max Francis

Bengt said:
<nit>With (float) 1 it can optimize to one instruction with immediate
operand constant. With the other it needs (at least on x86) to move
via
EAX, for two instructions (e.g., assigning the resp values).

This is wholly an implementation detail. The point is, in C and C++,
casts have different purposes. Some are compile-time, some are
run-time; some are safe and are simply conversion, others are unsafe and
result in implementation-defined or undefined behavior. Not all C casts
are unsafe; some simply invoke conversions.

Carl Banks

Terry said:
From what I remember both in my own code and others that I have read,
most casts, where 'most' is measured in frequency of occurence in
actual code, which is what I meant by 'usually'.

I didn't like the wording. The way you said it, it sounded (whether
you intended it or not) like you were saying: "C generally casts by
preserving the bit pattern, except for a few exceptions," but that's
not how it is.

Even if they are more commonly used, casts that preserve the bit
pattern are the special ones. The general rule is that C casts
preserve "value." Sometimes the equivalent "value" happens to have
equivalent bits: that's the case for int-to-pointer and
pointer-to-pointer.

[snip]
On which systems? How widely used? I also added 'at least usually'
to account for systems I don't know about ;-)

Don't know of any examples off hand. The comp.lang.c FAQ lists some.

In my opinion, it is unhelpful to refer to type-function calls as
casts. To me, the baggage 'cast' carries is more confusing than
helpful. For instance, a common conversion, between number and
string, cannot be done in C with a type cast but must also (as in
Python) be done with a function call. Would you call C's atoi(),
atof(), and sprintf casts? In C, the 'funny syntax' defines what I
believe most people call a type cast versus a function call. This is
certainly true for both K&R and the Standard C committee.

On one hand, I respect that opinion. OTOH, I think the assertion that
Python has no type casting leads to misunderstanding. Take the OP for
example. Because of the statement that Python has no type casts, he
didn't realize that Python does have functionality of type casting.

So I don't think anyone should say simply, "Python does not have type
casts." Better, I think, to say, yes, Python has type casts, although
we don't call them type casts 'round here because they look and act
like regular function calls.

And to answer your question, no: atoi, atof, and sprintf are not type
casts even by my definition, because string is not a type in C.