function and its hardware?

Pasacco

Hi

I am having problem synthesizing VHDL functions and mapping in Xilinx
FPGA.
Simulation is working as expected.
But it is not working after synthesis (and implementation).
It seems that 'latches' are used and they are NOT functioning.
(I heard that we better use "flip flop" rather than 'latch' in FPGA)
Problem is following.

I wrote two simple functions.
One function generates 'multiplexor'.
The other function generates "multiplexor select signal".
Each function looks like below.
I need these "variable initializations".
In case latches generated for "MUX_OUT" and "MUX_SEL_OUT" signals are
problems,
can anyone help me with working around this problem? Thankyou.
--- function 1 : very simple multiplexor
function MUX_FUNC( Temp: <some type> ) return integer is
variable MUX_OUT : integer;
begin
MUX_OUT := 0; /* this part is unclear */
if <some condition> then MUX_OUT := 0;
else
for <loop range> loop
if <some condition> then
MUX_OUT := <some value>;
end if;
end loop;
end if;
return MUX_OUT;
end MUX_FUNC;
-- function 2 : very simple "mux select signal generator"
function MUX_SEL_FUNC( Temp: <some type> ) return <some type> is

variable MUX_SEL_OUT : <some type>;
begin
MUX_SEL_OUT := 0; /* this part is unclear */
Loop1: for <loop range> loop
if <some condition> then
MUX_SEL_OUT := <some value>
end if;
end loop;
return MUX_SEL_OUT;
end MUX_SEL_FUNC;

Ralf Hildebrandt

Pasacco wrote:

It seems that 'latches' are used and they are NOT functioning.

If so in many cases you have been trapped into the "muxed latch
problem": A mux chooses the value that has to be loaded into the latch.
If the mux-selector and the latch-enable are not independent then the
mux may output a new value before the latch is closed.

function MUX_FUNC( Temp: <some type> ) return integer is
variable MUX_OUT : integer;
begin
MUX_OUT := 0; /* this part is unclear */
if <some condition> then MUX_OUT := 0;
else
for <loop range> loop
if <some condition> then
MUX_OUT := <some value>;
end if;
end loop;
end if;
return MUX_OUT;
end MUX_FUNC;

As far as I see it there will be no latch inferred because of this
function. Always a value will be assigned to the output variable ->
combinational logic.

It depends on what you do with the result of the function: combinational
logic, latch or flipflop.

Ralf

Rob Dekker

Hi Pasacco,

This does not sound right. There should be no latches here.

The local variables MUX_OUT or MUX_SEL_OUT have limited lifetime, and are automatically initialized to integer'left.
So, even without the initial assignment they should NEVER create a latch.

This is either a bug in the synthesis tool (which one are you using?) or the latches come from some signal or variable OUTSIDE the
function.
Only way to know is if you show a bit more of the design.

So : Can you give the 'process' statement(s) (or other context) in which these functions are called ?

Rob