function calls like printf

hbdere

Hi,

I need some documentation on how function calls really work in C. The
books I own (admittedly most of them cover C/C++) stop short of how to
do something like printf(char*, ...). Any pointer is appreciated!

Vladimir S. Oka

hbdere said:
I need some documentation on how function calls really work in C.

If you mean implementation details, then look for your particular
implementation's dosumentation.
The books I own (admittedly most of them cover C/C++)

There is no such language as C/C++, it's one or the other. Which one
you want? If it's the latter, you're in the wrong newsgroup.
stop short of how to do something like printf(char*, ...).

If you mean functions with variable arguments, then just look for a
good C book. One I can recommend off the top of my head is "The C
Programming Language - Second Edition" by Kernighan & Ritchie (K&R2).

Steve

One book that I can think of is the Introduction to Computing Systems by
Patt and Patel. It breaks down why some functions are implemented
certain ways. And also the timeless classic "The C programming language"
by K&R.