Function not visible outside the NetBeans IDE

Discussion in 'Java' started by Rick T., Nov 30, 2004.

  1. Rick T.

    Rick T. Guest

    Hi:

    I wrote a GUI application using NetBeans IDE 3.6 and J2SDK1.4.2_05
    which worked out really well within the NetBeans IDE environment. But
    when I try to run it from the commandline or a desktop icon, the GUI
    comes up but one of the methods I'm calling from another class claims
    to be non-existent.

    The class I'm referencing is public and so is the method I'm invoking.
    Can anyone tell me how this is possible?

    My CLASSPATH is set up to point to the directory where all of my
    classes are --including the one I'm having a problem with.

    I appreciate any advice you may have!

    Thanks!

    Rick T.
    DRS Comm

    Rick T., Nov 30, 2004

  2. On 30 Nov 2004 06:43:45 -0800, Rick T. wrote:

    > I wrote a GUI application ..

    > ..when I try to run it from the commandline or a desktop icon, the GUI
    > comes up but one of the methods I'm calling from another class claims
    > to be non-existent.

    So that is an IAmAnIllusionException? Or perhaps a NoSuchMethodError?
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>

    > The class I'm referencing is public and so is the method I'm invoking.

    Can your GUI find the class itself? Are you invoking a static method?

    > Can anyone tell me how this is possible?
    >
    > My CLASSPATH is set up to point to the directory where all of my
    > classes are --including the one I'm having a problem with.

    The advice to add projects or directories to the classpath is very old.
    Sun themselves now recommend you do *not* do that. Instead add the
    appropriate paths at runtime.

    > I appreciate any advice you may have!

    Be kind to your mother (and mothers in general).
    Refrain from cross-posting.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>

    F'Ups set to c.l.j.help.

    --