Function pointer to "member" function

Kasper Middelboe Petersen

Lets say I have these 3 classes:

Class Parent {};
Class Child : public Parent {};
Class Priest {};

Since it is a library I'm creating the following two problems arise:
1. I have no control over what the name of "Priest" as this is up to
the person using the library in the first place to create - and he
needs more than one different class extending Parent at the same time.
2. I need Child to pass one or more callback functions on to Priest
which allows it to access Child's private parts!

This is what I've come up with so far and it seems to work:

class Child : public Parent {
public:
Child() : priest(callbackfunc, this) {};

static void callbackfunc(Parent* p) {
std::cout << "Mmm... Private " << (Child*)p->parts << std::endl;
};

void run() {
priest.grab();
};

private:
Priest priest;
int parts;
};

class Priest {
public:
Priest(void (*_callbackfunc)(Parent*), Parent *_p)
: callbackfunc(_callbackfunc), p(_p) {};

void grab() {
(*callbackfunc)(p);
};

private:
void (*callbackfunc)(Parent*);
Parent* p;
};

But I'm not sure if this is the correct way to solve this or if there
is a better/cleaner one?

Thanks,
Kasper

Kasper Middelboe Petersen

Great - a typo.

In requirement 1; I have no control over the name Child ofcause - I do
have over Priest (and Parent).

/Kasper

Rune Allnor

Lets say I have these 3 classes:

Class Parent {};
Class Child : public Parent {};
Class Priest {};

Since it is a library I'm creating the following two problems arise:
1. I have no control over what the name of "Priest" as this is up to
the person using the library in the first place to create - and he
needs more than one different class extending Parent at the same time.
2. I need Child to pass one or more callback functions on to Priest
which allows it to access Child's private parts!

Have you considered to use the visitor pattern?

Rune

Werner

Lets say I have these 3 classes:

Class Parent {};
Class Child : public Parent {};
Class Priest {};

Since it is a library I'm creating the following two problems arise:
1. I have no control over what the name of "Priest" as this is up to
the person using the library in the first place to create - and he
needs more than one different class extending Parent at the same time.

The code below that "seems to work" suggests otherwise. Why,
you are using the word Priest in the definition of Child? So how
can you use this name if you have no control over what it will be...

2. I need Child to pass one or more callback functions on to Priest
which allows it to access Child's private parts!

I'm not sure what you want, but a member function pointer
looks like this:

class Child
{
private:
void someMember( int );
};

typedef void (Child::*childCallback)( int );

Combined with an instance to Child, you would be able
to call someMember:

void indirectCall( Child& theChild, childCallback f, int arg )
{
(theChild.*f)( arg );
}

You could always look at something like boost::function to
create "handles" to private callbacks.

Alternatively:

You could provide an interface that the
client can use to notify Child. You then need to anticipate
roles that might influence child's behaviour, and define
interfaces with whom these "roles" associate.

e.g: Priest relates to Christian, perhaps...

struct Christian
{
virtual void baptise() = 0;
protected:
~Christian(){}
};

class Child : public Christian
{
private:
virtual void baptise() = 0;
};

The client can then access child's internals by
having a relationship with the applicable role...

I consider this better (more clarity) than callbacks...

Kind regards,

Werner