Functional programming: its got what coders crave!

Lionel B

Read our free introduction to the F# programming language from Microsoft
Research:

[shameless OT plug snipped]

And this has... what exactly to do with the C++ language?

Salt_Peter

What does the future have to do with the past?

In what sense?
This group already deals daily with those that repetitively ask
questions about your proprietary architectures.
Not to mention that some of us, namely i, don't run, nor need to run
Windows.
You made another language for Windows only?
So what? Those have come and gone incessantly for the last 2 decades.
What else is new?
C++ runs on anything, most likely including whatever 'anything' means
in 1000 years or so.
So: wellcome to your future.

Meanwhile, please keep your Posts about proprietary languages where
they belong.

Jon Harrop

Salt_Peter said:
Not to mention that some of us, namely i, don't run, nor need to run
Windows.

F# is free and runs under both Mono (Mac OS X and Linux) and .NET (Windows).
You made another language for Windows only?

F# was created by Microsoft Research.
C++ runs on anything, most likely including whatever 'anything' means
in 1000 years or so.

I recently tested this and none of the C++ code that I wrote during my PhD
compiles out of the box with the same compiler (gcc). At that time, I
failed to write C++ code that ported between compilers (gcc, icc and
MIPSpro) without dropping all non-trivial features and optimizations.
Moreover, C++ does target a platform independent intermediate form, like
CIL or JVM, so compiled C++ is typically totally unportable.

Extrapolate the trend:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=c++,+c#&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

and place your bets.

Lionel B

On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:12:01 +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:

[some stuff about F#]

Evangelising other languages on this ng is blatantly off-topic.
Persistent, blatant off-topic posting = trolling.

Can we not feed the troll, please.

*plonk*

Sherm Pendley

Jon Harrop said:
What does the future have to do with the past?

It the past, I hadn't *plonked* you.

Now I have, so in the future your posts will be invisible to me.

sherm--

Default User

Jon said:
What does the future have to do with the past?

What does plonking have to do with off-topic idiots. Oh, it gets rid of
them! That's good.

Brian

I V

I mean, with which language did you build your F# compiler and tools?

You can download the source from the MS research page. As you would
expect, the F# compiler and tools were written in F#.

Jon Harrop

I mean, with which language did you build your F# compiler and tools?

I didn't build my F# compiler and tools. I downloaded .NET binaries from the
F# home page.

Jon Harrop

How does one extrapolate food onto the table? Dice.com turns up 8479 C
++ job listings nationwide. 7400 for C#. 16956 for Java.

Zero for F#.

Modern functional programming languages are best suited to small, dynamic
companies or individuals with smart programmers. If they adopt better core
technologies like F#, they can reduce development time by a factor of 10
and your small company can compete with much larger companies by being more
versatile and efficient and you can make a lot more money.

If you want to revolutionize your field by innovating faster than the
competition, then you'll like F#, OCaml, Haskell and other modern
functional programming languages.

Look at the OCaml job offer you cited. It is a small company specializing in
finance (trading).

http://www.galois.com/cufp/slides/2006/YaronMinsky.pdf

They couldn't do what they do entirely in C++ because development would be
too slow.

dave_mikesell

Modern functional programming languages are best suited to small, dynamic
companies or individuals with smart programmers. If they adopt better core
technologies like F#, they can reduce development time by a factor of 10
and your small company can compete with much larger companies by being more
versatile and efficient and you can make a lot more money.

But can it regrow hair and give me washboard abs?
If you want to revolutionize your field by innovating faster than the
competition, then you'll like F#, OCaml, Haskell and other modern
functional programming languages.

Well, my field is software consulting...
Look at the OCaml job offer you cited. It is a small company specializing in
finance (trading).

....and one client in Portland, Oregon offering $65K.isn't even a
start. Maybe in five years there will be more of a market.
http://www.galois.com/cufp/slides/2006/YaronMinsky.pdf

They couldn't do what they do entirely in C++ because development would be
too slow.

Maybe "they" didn't know C++ well enough. Besides, it looks like the
original app was written with VB and Excel, not C++.