Functional programming: its got what coders crave!

Discussion in 'C++' started by Jon Harrop, May 15, 2007.

  1. Jon Harrop

    Jon Harrop Guest

    Jon Harrop, May 15, 2007

  2. Jon Harrop

    Lionel B Guest

    Re: [OT] Functional programming: its got what coders crave!

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:30:58 +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:

    > Read our free introduction to the F# programming language from Microsoft
    > Research:

    [shameless OT plug snipped]

    And this has... what exactly to do with the C++ language?

    --
    Lionel B
    Lionel B, May 15, 2007

  3. Jon Harrop

    Jon Harrop Guest

    Lionel B wrote:
    > And this has... what exactly to do with the C++ language?

    What does the future have to do with the past?

    The F#.NET Journal
    http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?usenet
    Jon Harrop, May 15, 2007
  4. Jon Harrop

    ?

    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html

    --
    Lionel B
    Lionel B, May 15, 2007
  5. Jon Harrop

    Salt_Peter Guest

    On May 15, 7:14 am, Jon Harrop <> wrote:
    > Lionel B wrote:
    > > And this has... what exactly to do with the C++ language?

    > What does the future have to do with the past?

    In what sense?
    This group already deals daily with those that repetitively ask
    questions about your proprietary architectures.
    Not to mention that some of us, namely i, don't run, nor need to run
    Windows.
    You made another language for Windows only?
    So what? Those have come and gone incessantly for the last 2 decades.
    What else is new?
    C++ runs on anything, most likely including whatever 'anything' means
    in 1000 years or so.
    So: wellcome to your future.

    Meanwhile, please keep your Posts about proprietary languages where
    they belong.
    Salt_Peter, May 15, 2007
  6. Jon Harrop

    Jon Harrop Guest

    Salt_Peter wrote:
    > Not to mention that some of us, namely i, don't run, nor need to run
    > Windows.

    F# is free and runs under both Mono (Mac OS X and Linux) and .NET (Windows).

    > You made another language for Windows only?

    F# was created by Microsoft Research.

    > C++ runs on anything, most likely including whatever 'anything' means
    > in 1000 years or so.

    I recently tested this and none of the C++ code that I wrote during my PhD
    compiles out of the box with the same compiler (gcc). At that time, I
    failed to write C++ code that ported between compilers (gcc, icc and
    MIPSpro) without dropping all non-trivial features and optimizations.
    Moreover, C++ does target a platform independent intermediate form, like
    CIL or JVM, so compiled C++ is typically totally unportable.

    Extrapolate the trend:

    http://www.google.com/trends?q=c++, c#&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

    and place your bets.

    Jon Harrop, May 15, 2007
  7. Jon Harrop

    Lionel B Guest

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:12:01 +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:

    [some stuff about F#]

    Evangelising other languages on this ng is blatantly off-topic.
    Persistent, blatant off-topic posting = trolling.

    Can we not feed the troll, please.

    *plonk*

    --
    Lionel B
    Lionel B, May 15, 2007
  8. Jon Harrop

    Guest

    On May 15, 10:12 am, Jon Harrop <> wrote:
    > > You made another language for Windows only?

    > F# was created by Microsoft Research.

    Using what?
    , May 15, 2007
  9. Jon Harrop

    Jon Harrop Guest

    Jon Harrop, May 15, 2007
  10. Jon Harrop

    Guest

    On May 15, 10:12 am, Jon Harrop <> wrote:
    > Extrapolate the trend:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/trends?q=c++, c#&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
    >
    > and place your bets.

    How does one extrapolate food onto the table? Dice.com turns up 8479 C
    ++ job listings nationwide. 7400 for C#. 16956 for Java.

    Zero for F#.

    Two for Ocaml.

    I can't make my house payments using a hobbyist language.
    , May 15, 2007
  11. Re: [OT] Functional programming: its got what coders crave!

    Jon Harrop <> writes:

    > Lionel B wrote:
    >> And this has... what exactly to do with the C++ language?

    > What does the future have to do with the past?

    It the past, I hadn't *plonked* you.

    Now I have, so in the future your posts will be invisible to me.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, May 15, 2007
  12. Jon Harrop

    Default User Guest

    Jon Harrop wrote:

    > Lionel B wrote:
    > > And this has... what exactly to do with the C++ language?

    > What does the future have to do with the past?

    What does plonking have to do with off-topic idiots. Oh, it gets rid of
    them! That's good.

    Brian
    Default User, May 15, 2007
  13. Jon Harrop

    Guest

    On May 15, 12:49 pm, Jon Harrop <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> F# was created by Microsoft Research.

    > > Using what?

    > Coffee.

    I mean, with which language did you build your F# compiler and tools?
    , May 15, 2007
  14. Jon Harrop

    BobR Guest

    <> wrote in message ...
    > On May 15, 12:49 pm, Jon Harrop <> wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > > > Using what?

    > > Coffee.

    > I mean, with which language did you build your F# compiler and tools?

    He just told you! "Java". <G>

    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie
    BobR, May 16, 2007
  15. Jon Harrop

    I V Guest

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:30:30 -0700, dave_mikesell wrote:
    > I mean, with which language did you build your F# compiler and tools?

    You can download the source from the MS research page. As you would
    expect, the F# compiler and tools were written in F#.
    I V, May 16, 2007
  16. Jon Harrop

    Jon Harrop Guest

    Jon Harrop, May 16, 2007
  17. Jon Harrop

    Jon Harrop Guest

    wrote:
    > How does one extrapolate food onto the table? Dice.com turns up 8479 C
    > ++ job listings nationwide. 7400 for C#. 16956 for Java.
    >
    > Zero for F#.

    Modern functional programming languages are best suited to small, dynamic
    companies or individuals with smart programmers. If they adopt better core
    technologies like F#, they can reduce development time by a factor of 10
    and your small company can compete with much larger companies by being more
    versatile and efficient and you can make a lot more money.

    If you want to revolutionize your field by innovating faster than the
    competition, then you'll like F#, OCaml, Haskell and other modern
    functional programming languages.

    Look at the OCaml job offer you cited. It is a small company specializing in
    finance (trading).

    http://www.galois.com/cufp/slides/2006/YaronMinsky.pdf

    They couldn't do what they do entirely in C++ because development would be
    too slow.

    Jon Harrop, May 16, 2007
  18. Jon Harrop

    Guest

    On May 16, 7:38 am, Jon Harrop <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > How does one extrapolate food onto the table? Dice.com turns up 8479 C
    > > ++ job listings nationwide. 7400 for C#. 16956 for Java.

    > > Zero for F#.

    > Modern functional programming languages are best suited to small, dynamic
    > companies or individuals with smart programmers. If they adopt better core
    > technologies like F#, they can reduce development time by a factor of 10
    > and your small company can compete with much larger companies by being more
    > versatile and efficient and you can make a lot more money.

    But can it regrow hair and give me washboard abs?

    > If you want to revolutionize your field by innovating faster than the
    > competition, then you'll like F#, OCaml, Haskell and other modern
    > functional programming languages.

    Well, my field is software consulting...

    > Look at the OCaml job offer you cited. It is a small company specializing in
    > finance (trading).

    ....and one client in Portland, Oregon offering $65K.isn't even a
    start. Maybe in five years there will be more of a market.

    > http://www.galois.com/cufp/slides/2006/YaronMinsky.pdf
    >
    > They couldn't do what they do entirely in C++ because development would be
    > too slow.

    Maybe "they" didn't know C++ well enough. Besides, it looks like the
    original app was written with VB and Excel, not C++.
    , May 17, 2007