Functional vs. Object oriented API

Max Bucknell

Hi,
I'm currently learning Python, and it's going great. I've dabbled before, but really getting into it is good fun.

To test myself, and not detract too much from my actual studies (mathematics), I've been writing my own package to do linear algebra, and I am unsure about how best to structure my API.

For example, I have a vector class, that works like so:
a = Vector([2, 7, 4])
b = Vector.j # unit vector in 3D y direction

I also have a function to generate the dot product of these two vectors. In Java, such a function would be put as a method on the class and I would do something like:
7

and that would be the end of it. But in Python, I can also have:
7

Which of these two are preferred in Python? And are there any general guidelines for choosing between the two styles, or is it largely a matter of personal preference?

Thanks for reading,
Max.

Steven D'Aprano

For example, I have a vector class, that works like so:
a = Vector([2, 7, 4])
b = Vector.j # unit vector in 3D y direction

I also have a function to generate the dot product of these two vectors.
In Java, such a function would be put as a method on the class and I
would do something like:
7

and that would be the end of it. But in Python, I can also have:
7

Which of these two are preferred in Python?

Both of them!

Python is a pure Object Oriented language in that all values are objects.
(Unlike Java, where some values are unboxed primitives, and some are
objects.) But Python does not force you to use Object Oriented syntax.
You can where it makes sense. If not, you aren't forced to.

And are there any general
guidelines for choosing between the two styles, or is it largely a
matter of personal preference?

I would put it like this:

- If you have a complicated interface, or data with complicated internal
state, the best solution is to use a custom object with methods.

- But if your interface is simple, and the data is simple, it is more
efficient to stick to lightweight built-ins. For example, a simple three-
tuple like (1, 4, 2) is probably more efficient than a Vector(1, 4, 2).
(Although there are ways to make classes more lean, and still give them
methods.)

- If the *only* reason you use a class is to keep the data together,
that's very much a Java design. In Python, you should put the functions
in a module, and use that. E.g. if your class looks like this:

class MyClass:
def __init__(self, data):
self.data
def spam(self):
return spamify(self.data)
def eggs(self, n):
return eggify(self.data, n)
def aardvark(self):
return aardvarkify(self.data)

then using a class doesn't give you much, and you should expose spam,
eggs and aardvark as top-level functions that take data as an argument.

You might like to watch this video from PyCon:

http://pyvideo.org/video/880/stop-writing-classes

or www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9pEzgHorH0

and then read this response:

http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2013/2/13/moar-classes/

Personally, I think that Armin Ronacher's response is important, but
suffers from a fatal flaw. Monolithic code is Bad, agreed. But classes
are not the only way to avoid monolithic code. Small, lightly coupled
functions are just as good at breaking down monolithic code as classes.
Some might even argue better.

Roy Smith

Steven D'Aprano said:
- If you have a complicated interface, or data with complicated internal
state, the best solution is to use a custom object with methods.

- But if your interface is simple, and the data is simple, it is more
efficient to stick to lightweight built-ins [...]

- If the *only* reason you use a class is to keep the data together,
that's very much a Java design.

As part of our initial interview screen, we give applicants some small
coding problems to do. One of the things we see a lot is what you could
call "Java code smell". This is our clue that the person is really a
Java hacker at heart who just dabbles in Python but isn't really fluent.
It's kind of like how I can walk into a Spanish restaurant and order
dinner or enquire where the men's room is, but everybody knows I'm a
gringo as soon as I open my mouth.

It's not just LongVerboseFunctionNamesInCamelCase(). Nor is it code
that looks like somebody bought the Gang of Four patterns book and is
trying to get their money's worth out of the investment. The real dead
giveaway is when they write classes which contain a single static method
and nothing else.

That being said, I've noticed in my own coding, it's far more often that
I start out writing some functions and later regret not having initially
made it a class, than the other way around. That's as true in my C++
code as it is in my Python.

In my mind, classes are all about data. If there's no data (i.e. no
stored state), you should be thinking a collection of functions. On the
other hand, if there's ONLY data and no behavior, then you should be
thinking namedtuple (which is really just a shortcut way to write a
trivial class).

Once you start having state (i.e. data) and behavior (i.e. functions) in
the same thought, then you need a class. If you find yourself passing
the same bunch of variables around to multiple functions, that's a hint
that maybe there's a class struggling to be written.

Mitya Sirenef

[...]

I've absolutely noticed the same thing for myself, over and over
again. I can't remember writing a class that I've regretted is not
a few functions, although it must have happened a few times. -m

David M Chess

Roy Smith said:
As part of our initial interview screen, we give applicants some small
coding problems to do. One of the things we see a lot is what you could
call "Java code smell". This is our clue that the person is really a
Java hacker at heart who just dabbles in Python but isn't really fluent.
It's not just LongVerboseFunctionNamesInCamelCase(). Nor is it code
that looks like somebody bought the Gang of Four patterns book and is
trying to get their money's worth out of the investment. The real dead
giveaway is when they write classes which contain a single static method
and nothing else.

I may have some lingering Java smell myself, although I've been working
mostly in Python lately, but my reaction here is that's really I don't
know "BASIC smell" or something; a class that contains a single static
method and nothing else isn't wonderful Java design style either.
That being said, I've noticed in my own coding, it's far more often that
I start out writing some functions and later regret not having initially
made it a class, than the other way around. That's as true in my C++
code as it is in my Python.
Definitely.

Once you start having state (i.e. data) and behavior (i.e. functions) in
the same thought, then you need a class. If you find yourself passing
the same bunch of variables around to multiple functions, that's a hint
that maybe there's a class struggling to be written.

And I think equally to the point, even if you have only data, or only
functions, right now, if the thing in question has that thing-like feel to
it :) you will probably find yourself with both before you're done, so you
might as well make it a class now...

DC

8

88888 Dihedral

David M Chessæ–¼ 2013å¹´4月12日星期五UTC+8下åˆ11時37分28秒寫é“:
applicants some small

you could

person is really a

it code

is

And I think equally to the point, even if you have
only data, or only functions, right now, if the thing in question has that
thing-like feel to it :) you will probably find yourself with both before
you're done, so you might as well make it a class now...

DC

If it is not time-critical and no needs to convert into
CYTHON then it does not matter too much.

But a well wrapped class structures with good documents can
help others to use the python codes a lot.

If the part is intended to be time-critical in the low level
part, then avoiding seeking 4 levels of methods and properties
inside a loop is helpful in python programs to be executed
in the run time.

[...]

Rui Maciel

Max said:
Hi,
I'm currently learning Python, and it's going great. I've dabbled before,
but really getting into it is good fun.

To test myself, and not detract too much from my actual studies
(mathematics), I've been writing my own package to do linear algebra, and
I am unsure about how best to structure my API.

For example, I have a vector class, that works like so:
a = Vector([2, 7, 4])
b = Vector.j # unit vector in 3D y direction

I also have a function to generate the dot product of these two vectors.
In Java, such a function would be put as a method on the class and I would
do something like:
7

Not necessarily. That would only happen if that code was designed that way.
It's quite possible, and desirable, that the dot product isn't implemented
as a member function of the vector data type, and instead is implemented as
an operator to be applied to two object.

and that would be the end of it. But in Python, I can also have:

7

Which of these two are preferred in Python? And are there any general
guidelines for choosing between the two styles, or is it largely a matter
of personal preference?

The separation of concerns principle is a good guideline. This doesn't
apply exclusively to Python; it essentiallyl applies to all programming
languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns

There are significant advantages in separating the definition of a data type
from the definition of the operations that are to be applied to it. If
operations are decoupled from the data type then it's possible to preserve
the definition of that data type eternally, while the operators that are
written to operate on it can be added, tweaked and removed independently and
at anyone's whims.

Hope this helps,
Rui Maciel