functools's partial and update_wrapper does not work together

piotr.findeisen

Hello!

I wanted to use a decorator to wrap partially applied function like
this:
from functools import *

def never_throw(f):
@wraps(f)
def wrapper(*args, **kwargs):
try: return f(*args, **kwargs)
except: pass
return wrapper

def foo(i):
raise ValueError(str(i) + " is too little")

never_throw(partial(foo, 3))

However this fails with an exception saying
AttributeError: 'functools.partial' object has no attribute
'__module__'.

How can I use generic wrapper (never_throw) around partials?

Thank you,
Piotr

Bruno Desthuilliers

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
Hello!

I wanted to use a decorator to wrap partially applied function like
this:
from functools import *

def never_throw(f):
@wraps(f)
def wrapper(*args, **kwargs):
try: return f(*args, **kwargs)
except: pass

Not an answer to your question, but: by all means, *never* use bare
except clauses. Please remember that SysExit and KeyboardInterrupt are
exceptions too.
return wrapper

def foo(i):
raise ValueError(str(i) + " is too little")

never_throw(partial(foo, 3))

However this fails with an exception saying
AttributeError: 'functools.partial' object has no attribute
'__module__'.

How can I use generic wrapper (never_throw) around partials?

If not already done by someone else, it might be worth filling a ticket
- generic decorators should work with any callable, not only with
functions (well, IMHO at least).

A possible workaround is:

_dont_pass = (
SysExit,