Fundemental error?

Barely Audible

Okay I've been struggling with my first attempt at a div table for a
couple of hours now and I must be making a fundemental mistake that I
cannot see...

The following code is supposed to to reproduce the 'Listing by Type'
buttons in the conventional html table here..

http://www.jedsite.info/content/jed1.html

But all its doing is producing a long column of buttons....

<a name="listing"></a>
#808000;"><div style="position: absolute; left: 4px; top: 4px; bottom:
4px; font-size:14px; color : #fff;">LISTING BY TYPE</div></div>

Some help/direction would be appreciated!

John Hosking

Barely said:
Okay I've been struggling with my first attempt at a div table

A what? If you've got a table, make it a <table>. If you want a series
of similar objects wrapping into a grid pattern, see e.g.
http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/imagesInline.html (although I thought
dorayme had another example, er, floating around somewhere).
for a
couple of hours now and I must be making a fundemental mistake that I
cannot see...

BTW, it's "fundamental". :)
The following code is supposed to to reproduce the 'Listing by Type'
buttons in the conventional html table here..

http://www.jedsite.info/content/jed1.html

But all its doing is producing a long column of buttons....

I'll take your word for it. Next time please just post a URL of your
attempt.
<a name="listing"></a>
#808000;"><div style="position: absolute; left: 4px; top: 4px; bottom:
4px; font-size:14px; color : #fff;">LISTING BY TYPE</div></div>

I recommend you not use absolute positioning. It's tricky, and you
probably don't need it.

Without a URL, we don't see your CSS (among other things).

Some help/direction would be appreciated!

You can find a lot of errors in your code by running it through a validator.
For markup: http://validator.w3.org/ (140 errors on your current page
you're trying to emulate).
For CSS: <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/>

dorayme

John Hosking said:
A what? If you've got a table, make it a <table>. If you want a series
of similar objects wrapping into a grid pattern, see e.g.
http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/imagesInline.html (although I thought
dorayme had another example, er, floating around somewhere).

Perhaps you mean

<http://tinyurl.com/6fnfon>

?

(btw, something dreadful has happened at the free 890m server I have
been using for this ng for a while, the server is suddenly this week
adding some js code and all the examples at

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/>

are now invalid. A bad look! Can't think I have done anything to deserve
this. I paid an honest nothing for this facility and I expect
consistency and service. I have written to the server people.)

BTW, it's "fundamental". :)

You can find a lot of errors in your code by running it through a validator.
For markup: http://validator.w3.org/ (140 errors on your current page
you're trying to emulate).
For CSS: <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/>

I thought that OP was actually trying to just do the table bit in non
html table outside this URL. I recall he was using IDs rather than
classes in his example and he should use class because repeated use of
same IDs in same doc is wrong.

Tell him to use a Strict 4.01 doctype. To say what the meaning of all
these items are, are they related in any way in groups... I could not
tell quickly and gave up... especially when I saw what the server was
doing. I got as far as making some points and uploading

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/tableBA.html>

and got distracted...

Is it ok to tell you'se all about this?

I am *trying* to get my Winbox to recognise an old Mac 60G disk at least
to the level of it saying something like:

"What the f*$#!! is this? I can't read this bloody thing. You some sort
of post-modernist or something? Look, I am simple Windows box. Do you
want me to format this disk so it will be good for putting a Windows XP
system on it? Geez!"

And I would gleefully press some Yes button. But I dream on.

I have a cunning plan B instead but it is a big bother! I will yank out
my Mac BU disk from an external case and stick this 60GB one in and
format it as FAT32 and then yank it out and stick it in my Winbox. Then
the Winbox might see it, eh?

dorayme

dorayme said:
I am *trying* to get my Winbox to recognise an old Mac 60G disk at least
to the level of it saying something like:

Stop! Don't all rush in at once. Local PC shop gave me a tip: right
click on My Computer and there is something called disk management etc...

(btw Jonathan, I managed to get Dual Boot on my old Winbox going, not
bad for a PC novice eh? I think we discussed it ages ago.)

dorayme

Ben C said:
Easier is to download a Knoppix CD (http://www.knoppix.org). Put it in
the Winbox and boot it up off it. Linux will come up, running entirely
in memory and off the CD.

Now you can partition and format the disk (use fdisk and mkfs.vfat).
Make sure you don't format the wrong disk if there are more than one in
there.

You probably want one partition and one vfat filesystem on that
partition.

Then take the CD out and reboot in Windows. With luck it will now at
least recognize the existence of the disk. Then format it again from
Windows (mkfs.vfat may be missing some of the bugs that Windows needs to
work).

That *is* an interesting path to take, thanks for the suggestion.

I have given up for now, taking too much of my time. I won't go into it
but while I was able to format the 60GB, the machine seemed unhappy with
it and refused to boot into either 2000 or XP with it in. I yanked it
out.

I settled on a drive that I used to have in an older PC. So now I have a
9G with Win2000 on it and another 9G with XP and it seems to be happily
dual boot. I honestly have no idea how I got this to happen. But now I
can look forward to having multiple IEs on it.

Why was my box happy with a drive that had been in another PC many years
ago and which I pulled out of a drawer? Here is one theory: It had done
it before, it was comfortable in Winboxes. Before you all scoff too
much, there is a biologist who has worked at Cambridge University, who
believes that memory is somehow part of the world and that some things
can be explained because similar things have happened before.

His most spectacular example, many years ago, was that rats in England
could run mazes faster because their cousins in USA had learnt to run
similar mazes without their being any normal causal connection between
the sets of rats. He has many other examples and documents them all. If
I recall, he described his theory as being one of "formative causation",
"morphic resonance" and other things. I remember it being all good fun,
I felt a twinge of guilt that I did not believe it, while yet always
ready to defend him.

I have not kept up with him. I heard he went on to write many books and
found a sort of one man industry on it.

My old 9GB was happy in the present Winbox because it was formatively
caused to be so no matter that it is now reformatted, no matter anything.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
It might be a factor if you try to put a rat in your PC...

No, no, Jonathan, his theory is much broader than this and does not
involve rats at every turn...

But, since you mention this, I think the trouble I have had might be
that a rat is living in my PC! I will set a trap for it. Perhaps on a
spare Bus. Mac can format traps via cute GUI software, I bet Windows
can't. <g>

rf

dorayme said:
No, no, Jonathan, his theory is much broader than this and does not
involve rats at every turn...

But, since you mention this, I think the trouble I have had might be
that a rat is living in my PC! I will set a trap for it. Perhaps on a
spare Bus. Mac can format traps via cute GUI software, I bet Windows
can't. <g>

Perhaps not trap but there are products that can move them elsewhere...

http://collectingtokens.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/the-ikea-rat-launcher/