Fundemental error?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Barely Audible, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. Okay I've been struggling with my first attempt at a div table for a
    couple of hours now and I must be making a fundemental mistake that I
    cannot see...

    The following code is supposed to to reproduce the 'Listing by Type'
    buttons in the conventional html table here..

    http://www.jedsite.info/content/jed1.html

    But all its doing is producing a long column of buttons....

    <a name="listing"></a>
    <div style="position: relative; width: 706px; height: 28px; background:
    #808000;"><div style="position: absolute; left: 4px; top: 4px; bottom:
    4px; font-size:14px; color : #fff;">LISTING BY TYPE</div></div>

    <div>
    <div class="button3">
    <li><a href="../aerostats/aerostats.html">Aerostats</a></li>
    <li><a href="../artillery/artillery.html">Artillery</a></li>
    <li><a href="../grenade/grenade.html">Grenade</a></li>
    <li><a href="../naval/naval.html">Naval</a></li>
    <li><a href="../robots/robots.html">Robots</a></li>
    <li><a href="../trailers/trailer.html">Trailers</a></li>
    </div>
    <div class="button3">
    <li><a href="../afv/afv.html">AFV Wheeled</a></li>
    <li><a href="../cycle/cycle.html">Cycles</a></li>
    <li><a href="../halftrack/halftrack.html">Half Track</a></li>
    <li><a href="../navweapons/navweapons.html">Naval +</a></li>
    <li><a href="../shelters/shelters.html">Shelters</a></li>
    <li><a href="../transport/transport.html">Transport</a></li>
    </div>
    <div class="button3">
    <li><a href="../aircraft/aircraft.html">Aircraft</a></li>
    <li><a href="../electronic-misc/electronic-misc.html">Electronics</a></li>
    <li><a href="../helicopter/helicopter.html">Helicopters</a></li>
    <li><a href="../nbc/nbc.html">NBC</a></li>
    <li><a href="../smallarms/smallarms.html">Small Arms</a></li>
    <li><a href="../uav/uav.html">UAV</a></li>
    </div>
    <div class="button3">
    <li><a href="../airweapons/aircraft-weapons.html">Aircraft +</a></li>
    <li><a href="../engineer/engineer.html">Engineer</a></li>
    <li><a href="../mines/mines.html">Mines</a></li>
    <li><a href="../radar/radar.html">Radar</a></li>
    <li><a href="../support/support.html">Support</a></li>
    <li><a href="../vision/vision.html">Vision</a></li>
    </div>
    <div class="button3">
    <li><a href="../ammunition/ammunition.html">Ammunition</a></li>
    <li><a href="../electronic-warfare/ew.html">EW</a></li>
    <li><a href="../missiles/missiles.html">Missiles</a></li>
    <li><a href="../radio/radio.html">Radio</a></li>
    <li><a href="../tanks/tanks.html">Tanks</a></li>
    <li><a href="../wheeltrack/wheeltrack.html">Wheel+Track</a></li>
    </div>
    <div class="button3">
    <li><a href="../armament/armament.html">Armament</a></li>
    <li><a href="../fulltrack/fulltrack.html">Full Track</a></li>
    <li><a href="../mortar/mortar.html">Mortars</a></li>
    <li><a href="../railway/railway.html">Railway</a></li>
    <li><a href="../tractors/tractors.html">Tractors</a></li>
    </div>
    </div>

    Some help/direction would be appreciated!
    Barely Audible, Oct 14, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Barely Audible

    John Hosking Guest

    Barely Audible wrote:
    > Okay I've been struggling with my first attempt at a div table


    A what? If you've got a table, make it a <table>. If you want a series
    of similar objects wrapping into a grid pattern, see e.g.
    http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/imagesInline.html (although I thought
    dorayme had another example, er, floating around somewhere).

    > for a
    > couple of hours now and I must be making a fundemental mistake that I
    > cannot see...


    BTW, it's "fundamental". :)

    >
    > The following code is supposed to to reproduce the 'Listing by Type'
    > buttons in the conventional html table here..
    >
    > http://www.jedsite.info/content/jed1.html
    >
    > But all its doing is producing a long column of buttons....


    I'll take your word for it. Next time please just post a URL of your
    attempt.

    >
    > <a name="listing"></a>
    > <div style="position: relative; width: 706px; height: 28px; background:
    > #808000;"><div style="position: absolute; left: 4px; top: 4px; bottom:
    > 4px; font-size:14px; color : #fff;">LISTING BY TYPE</div></div>


    I recommend you not use absolute positioning. It's tricky, and you
    probably don't need it.

    >
    > <div>
    > <div class="button3">


    Without a URL, we don't see your CSS (among other things).

    > <li><a href="../aerostats/aerostats.html">Aerostats</a></li>


    The list item element (<li>) can be a child of only <ol> or <ul>, not of
    <div>. Looks like you forgot the <ul> and </ul> tags.


    >
    > Some help/direction would be appreciated!


    You can find a lot of errors in your code by running it through a validator.
    For markup: http://validator.w3.org/ (140 errors on your current page
    you're trying to emulate).
    For CSS: <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/>

    --
    John
    Possessive "its" has no apostrophe. Even on the Internet.
    John Hosking, Oct 15, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Barely Audible

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    John Hosking <> wrote:

    > Barely Audible wrote:
    > > Okay I've been struggling with my first attempt at a div table

    >
    > A what? If you've got a table, make it a <table>. If you want a series
    > of similar objects wrapping into a grid pattern, see e.g.
    > http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/imagesInline.html (although I thought
    > dorayme had another example, er, floating around somewhere).
    >


    Perhaps you mean

    <http://tinyurl.com/6fnfon>

    ?

    (btw, something dreadful has happened at the free 890m server I have
    been using for this ng for a while, the server is suddenly this week
    adding some js code and all the examples at

    <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/>

    are now invalid. A bad look! Can't think I have done anything to deserve
    this. I paid an honest nothing for this facility and I expect
    consistency and service. I have written to the server people.)


    > > for a
    > > couple of hours now and I must be making a fundemental mistake that I
    > > cannot see...

    >
    > BTW, it's "fundamental". :)
    >
    > >
    > > The following code is supposed to to reproduce the 'Listing by Type'
    > > buttons in the conventional html table here..
    > >
    > > http://www.jedsite.info/content/jed1.html
    > >
    > > But all its doing is producing a long column of buttons....

    ....
    > >
    > > Some help/direction would be appreciated!

    >
    > You can find a lot of errors in your code by running it through a validator.
    > For markup: http://validator.w3.org/ (140 errors on your current page
    > you're trying to emulate).
    > For CSS: <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/>


    I thought that OP was actually trying to just do the table bit in non
    html table outside this URL. I recall he was using IDs rather than
    classes in his example and he should use class because repeated use of
    same IDs in same doc is wrong.

    Tell him to use a Strict 4.01 doctype. To say what the meaning of all
    these items are, are they related in any way in groups... I could not
    tell quickly and gave up... especially when I saw what the server was
    doing. I got as far as making some points and uploading

    <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/tableBA.html>

    and got distracted...

    Is it ok to tell you'se all about this?

    I am *trying* to get my Winbox to recognise an old Mac 60G disk at least
    to the level of it saying something like:

    "What the f*$#!! is this? I can't read this bloody thing. You some sort
    of post-modernist or something? Look, I am simple Windows box. Do you
    want me to format this disk so it will be good for putting a Windows XP
    system on it? Geez!"

    And I would gleefully press some Yes button. But I dream on.

    I have a cunning plan B instead but it is a big bother! I will yank out
    my Mac BU disk from an external case and stick this 60GB one in and
    format it as FAT32 and then yank it out and stick it in my Winbox. Then
    the Winbox might see it, eh?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 15, 2008
    #3
  4. Barely Audible

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > I am *trying* to get my Winbox to recognise an old Mac 60G disk at least
    > to the level of it saying something like:


    Stop! Don't all rush in at once. Local PC shop gave me a tip: right
    click on My Computer and there is something called disk management etc...

    (btw Jonathan, I managed to get Dual Boot on my old Winbox going, not
    bad for a PC novice eh? I think we discussed it ages ago.)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 15, 2008
    #4
  5. Barely Audible

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2008-10-15, dorayme <> wrote:
    > [...]
    > > Is it ok to tell you'se all about this?
    > >
    > > I am *trying* to get my Winbox to recognise an old Mac 60G disk at least
    > > to the level of it saying something like:
    > >
    > > "What the f*$#!! is this? I can't read this bloody thing. You some sort
    > > of post-modernist or something? Look, I am simple Windows box. Do you
    > > want me to format this disk so it will be good for putting a Windows XP
    > > system on it? Geez!"
    > >
    > > And I would gleefully press some Yes button. But I dream on.
    > >
    > > I have a cunning plan B instead but it is a big bother! I will yank out
    > > my Mac BU disk from an external case and stick this 60GB one in and
    > > format it as FAT32 and then yank it out and stick it in my Winbox. Then
    > > the Winbox might see it, eh?

    >
    > Easier is to download a Knoppix CD (http://www.knoppix.org). Put it in
    > the Winbox and boot it up off it. Linux will come up, running entirely
    > in memory and off the CD.
    >
    > Now you can partition and format the disk (use fdisk and mkfs.vfat).
    > Make sure you don't format the wrong disk if there are more than one in
    > there.
    >
    > You probably want one partition and one vfat filesystem on that
    > partition.
    >
    > Then take the CD out and reboot in Windows. With luck it will now at
    > least recognize the existence of the disk. Then format it again from
    > Windows (mkfs.vfat may be missing some of the bugs that Windows needs to
    > work).


    That *is* an interesting path to take, thanks for the suggestion.

    I have given up for now, taking too much of my time. I won't go into it
    but while I was able to format the 60GB, the machine seemed unhappy with
    it and refused to boot into either 2000 or XP with it in. I yanked it
    out.

    I settled on a drive that I used to have in an older PC. So now I have a
    9G with Win2000 on it and another 9G with XP and it seems to be happily
    dual boot. I honestly have no idea how I got this to happen. But now I
    can look forward to having multiple IEs on it.

    Why was my box happy with a drive that had been in another PC many years
    ago and which I pulled out of a drawer? Here is one theory: It had done
    it before, it was comfortable in Winboxes. Before you all scoff too
    much, there is a biologist who has worked at Cambridge University, who
    believes that memory is somehow part of the world and that some things
    can be explained because similar things have happened before.

    His most spectacular example, many years ago, was that rats in England
    could run mazes faster because their cousins in USA had learnt to run
    similar mazes without their being any normal causal connection between
    the sets of rats. He has many other examples and documents them all. If
    I recall, he described his theory as being one of "formative causation",
    "morphic resonance" and other things. I remember it being all good fun,
    I felt a twinge of guilt that I did not believe it, while yet always
    ready to defend him.

    I have not kept up with him. I heard he went on to write many books and
    found a sort of one man industry on it.

    My old 9GB was happy in the present Winbox because it was formatively
    caused to be so no matter that it is now reformatted, no matter anything.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 15, 2008
    #5
  6. Barely Audible

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2008-10-15, dorayme <> wrote:
    > [...]
    > > Why was my box happy with a drive that had been in another PC many years
    > > ago and which I pulled out of a drawer? Here is one theory: It had done
    > > it before, it was comfortable in Winboxes. Before you all scoff too
    > > much, there is a biologist who has worked at Cambridge University, who
    > > believes that memory is somehow part of the world and that some things
    > > can be explained because similar things have happened before.
    > >
    > > His most spectacular example, many years ago, was that rats in England
    > > could run mazes faster because their cousins in USA had learnt to run
    > > similar mazes without their being any normal causal connection between
    > > the sets of rats. He has many other examples and documents them all. If
    > > I recall, he described his theory as being one of "formative causation",
    > > "morphic resonance" and other things. I remember it being all good fun,
    > > I felt a twinge of guilt that I did not believe it, while yet always
    > > ready to defend him.
    > >
    > > I have not kept up with him. I heard he went on to write many books and
    > > found a sort of one man industry on it.

    >
    > You must mean Rupert Sheldrake: http://www.sheldrake.org


    That's him.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 16, 2008
    #6
  7. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ben C <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-15, dorayme <> wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> Why was my box happy with a drive that had been in another PC many years
    >>> ago and which I pulled out of a drawer? Here is one theory: It had done
    >>> it before, it was comfortable in Winboxes. Before you all scoff too
    >>> much, there is a biologist who has worked at Cambridge University, who
    >>> believes that memory is somehow part of the world and that some things
    >>> can be explained because similar things have happened before.
    >>>
    >>> His most spectacular example, many years ago, was that rats in England
    >>> could run mazes faster because their cousins in USA had learnt to run
    >>> similar mazes without their being any normal causal connection between
    >>> the sets of rats. He has many other examples and documents them all. If
    >>> I recall, he described his theory as being one of "formative causation",
    >>> "morphic resonance" and other things. I remember it being all good fun,
    >>> I felt a twinge of guilt that I did not believe it, while yet always
    >>> ready to defend him.
    >>>
    >>> I have not kept up with him. I heard he went on to write many books and
    >>> found a sort of one man industry on it.

    >> You must mean Rupert Sheldrake: http://www.sheldrake.org

    >
    > That's him.
    >


    It might be a factor if you try to put a rat in your PC...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 16, 2008
    #7
  8. Barely Audible

    dorayme Guest

    In article <78169$48f6b0b0$40cba7c3$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > It might be a factor if you try to put a rat in your PC...


    No, no, Jonathan, his theory is much broader than this and does not
    involve rats at every turn...

    But, since you mention this, I think the trouble I have had might be
    that a rat is living in my PC! I will set a trap for it. Perhaps on a
    spare Bus. Mac can format traps via cute GUI software, I bet Windows
    can't. <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 16, 2008
    #8
  9. Barely Audible

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <78169$48f6b0b0$40cba7c3$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> It might be a factor if you try to put a rat in your PC...

    >
    > No, no, Jonathan, his theory is much broader than this and does not
    > involve rats at every turn...
    >
    > But, since you mention this, I think the trouble I have had might be
    > that a rat is living in my PC! I will set a trap for it. Perhaps on a
    > spare Bus. Mac can format traps via cute GUI software, I bet Windows
    > can't. <g>


    Perhaps not trap but there are products that can move them elsewhere...

    http://collectingtokens.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/the-ikea-rat-launcher/
    rf, Oct 16, 2008
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. hfk0
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    21,644
  2. JavaQueries
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,633
    John C. Bollinger
    Mar 1, 2005
  3. Balaji
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    10,080
  4. Bishop
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    765
    Bishop
    Feb 24, 2007
  5. juvi
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,040
    Alexey Smirnov
    Jan 22, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page