    demands it? Lots of reading over the past two days hasn't revealed an answer
    to that question.

    Does that make sense?

    Michael Laplante, May 7, 2006

  2. Michael Laplante

    ironcorona Guest

    Michael Laplante wrote:
    > Of the various ways of stipulating font size -- px, em, ex, %, etc -- how do
    > they all react to re-sizing? I.e. when the user re-sizes the fonts which
    > method produces the most or least dramatic effect on the font? What "fomula"
    > do browsers use to determine the change in text size applied when the user
    > demands it? Lots of reading over the past two days hasn't revealed an answer
    > to that question.
    >
    > Does that make sense?

    A good rule of thumb is to use the %, em or ex. Since they refer to a
    percentage of whatever the default (chosen by the user) is. As far as I
    can remember increasing or decreasing the size in the browser is
    standard among all the dimension types.

    It was created so the user could increase or decrease the size of the
    font, particularly where the author has taken it upon himself to
    overrule the reader's defaults, and as such the all have the same "effect".

    --
    ironcorona

    ironcorona, May 7, 2006

  3. Michael Laplante

    Jim Moe Guest

    Michael Laplante wrote:
    > Of the various ways of stipulating font size -- px, em, ex, %, etc -- how do
    > they all react to re-sizing? I.e. when the user re-sizes the fonts which
    > method produces the most or least dramatic effect on the font? What "fomula"
    > do browsers use to determine the change in text size applied when the user
    > demands it?

    No choice of unit has any more effect on scaling than any other.
    The px and pt units are fixed sizes. IE is probably correct in not
    changing the font size when the user changed it in the browser. Other
    browsers do so anyway because deezyners frequently choose a font size so
    small most people have trouble reading it.
    The other units--%, em, ex--are relative to the user's chosen default
    size (usually 16px). They are scaled appropriately. The "formula" is
    simple: current-size * scale-factor. E.g.: 1.2em * 130% = 1.56em

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 7, 2006
  4. Michael Laplante

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Michael Laplante"
    <> vouchsafed:

    > Of the various ways of stipulating font size -- px, em, ex, %, etc --
    > how do they all react to re-sizing? I.e. when the user re-sizes the
    > fonts which method produces the most or least dramatic effect on the
    > font? What "fomula" do browsers use to determine the change in text
    > size applied when the user demands it? Lots of reading over the past
    > two days hasn't revealed an answer to that question.
    >
    > Does that make sense?

    Here is the rub. As font sizes increase, the absolute difference between
    the previous and new also increases. Do you see how than can cause a
    problem with "stabilizing"?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, May 7, 2006
  5. Michael Laplante

    dorayme Guest

    In article <qWp7g.2071$fV1.1220@edtnps82>,
    "Michael Laplante" <> wrote:

    > Of the various ways of stipulating font size -- px, em, ex, %, etc -- how do
    > they all react to re-sizing? I.e. when the user re-sizes the fonts which
    > method produces the most or least dramatic effect on the font? What "fomula"
    > do browsers use to determine the change in text size applied when the user
    > demands it? Lots of reading over the past two days hasn't revealed an answer
    > to that question.
    >
    > Does that make sense?

    Are you asking what % increase or decrease do browsers use to
    respond to a command by the user to "Make text bigger" or "Make
    text smaller". OK, let me look on Safari:

    Normal for me of a simple phrase I am looking at on my screen is
    3cm. Looking it at a click bigger: 4cm. One more click: 4.3cm.
    One more: 5.1 That is horiz. Do like this and spreadshgeet the
    results for different browsers, graph the results, figure it all
    out.

    Want it in pxs? Easy enough, do same but snap (restricted
    screenshot) and px size will come up in the image editor (crop
    accurately now, won't you?).

    There is likely no one answer to all this across all browsers.
    And you will not make any better websites in the slightest by
    knowing the fine details. But as a question, it shows a fine
    sense of idle curiosity.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 8, 2006
  6. On Sun, 07 May 2006 19:15:02 +0200, Michael Laplante
    <> wrote:

    > Of the various ways of stipulating font size -- px, em, ex, %, etc --
    > how do
    > they all react to re-sizing?

    Why don't you set up a page, using these various units in one document,
    and then test that page in all the free browsers out there, that you can
    get your hands on? That way you'll actually see what happens.

    --
    ______PretLetters:
    | weblog | http://www.pretletters.net/weblog/weblog.html |

    Barbara de Zoete, May 8, 2006