future and alternatives to SVG

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by xenu, Mar 31, 2007.

  1. xenu

    xenu Guest

    Hi there,
    Our product is ASP.NET app with a lot of SVG. Because IE is the only browser
    we write for, the best [so far] solution for SVG was Adobe SVG viewer. We
    had 3 sweet years with that but Adobe announced the end of their support for
    SVG and we do not know what to do.

    I see a some movement on SVG outside Microsoft community (native support in
    FireFox, "Renesis" project...), but no such initiative for IE.
    One option we are considering is to use Flash/Flex stuff but I personally do
    not have strong and positive feelings about that. Besides, Flash is not
    really replacement for SVG (as far as I know Flash graphic does not scale
    well). To clarify my point more - I am looking for a solution that would
    allow my Web application for drawing not very complex [but scalable] graphic
    (shapes, lines, flow-charts etc). Something that is light, fast and nicely
    integrates with IE on the client-side.

    I wish Microsoft uses Adobe's decision as opportunity and announces SVG
    support in next verison of IE. Can anyone comment on that ?
    Also, if you were to choose, could you say what would it be the technology
    to replace SVG ?

    I appreciate any help, hint or comment.
    Thank you.
    xenu, Mar 31, 2007

  2. Microsoft's answer to Flash (and SVG) is their new WPF/E platform. It's
    still in development, but version 1 is nearing completion. I suggest you
    study up on it.

    Here's more info:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb190636.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/design/Voices/Detail.aspx?key=better_web_wpfe&voice=wpfe
    http://channel9.msdn.com/tags/WPFE

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Mar 31, 2007

  3. xenu

    xenu Guest

    Thank you Steve, WPF/E sounds interesting however it requires .NET 3.0, which
    is sort of a barrier for many of our customers. We have to release something
    by the end of this year, so we may consider sticking to SVG until 2008 and
    then go WPF/E.

    Thanks a lot !

    xenu, Apr 2, 2007
  4. No, actually WPF/E does not require .NET 3.0 for any users.
    Instead there is a small plugin that must be downloaded once by users to
    enable client support for WPF/E.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Apr 3, 2007