future and alternatives to SVG

xenu

Hi there,
Our product is ASP.NET app with a lot of SVG. Because IE is the only browser
we write for, the best [so far] solution for SVG was Adobe SVG viewer. We
had 3 sweet years with that but Adobe announced the end of their support for
SVG and we do not know what to do.

I see a some movement on SVG outside Microsoft community (native support in
FireFox, "Renesis" project...), but no such initiative for IE.
One option we are considering is to use Flash/Flex stuff but I personally do
not have strong and positive feelings about that. Besides, Flash is not
really replacement for SVG (as far as I know Flash graphic does not scale
well). To clarify my point more - I am looking for a solution that would
allow my Web application for drawing not very complex [but scalable] graphic
(shapes, lines, flow-charts etc). Something that is light, fast and nicely
integrates with IE on the client-side.

I wish Microsoft uses Adobe's decision as opportunity and announces SVG
support in next verison of IE. Can anyone comment on that ?
Also, if you were to choose, could you say what would it be the technology
to replace SVG ?

I appreciate any help, hint or comment.
Thank you.

xenu

Thank you Steve, WPF/E sounds interesting however it requires .NET 3.0, which
is sort of a barrier for many of our customers. We have to release something
by the end of this year, so we may consider sticking to SVG until 2008 and
then go WPF/E.

Thanks a lot !

Steve C. Orr [MCSD said:
Microsoft's answer to Flash (and SVG) is their new WPF/E platform. It's
still in development, but version 1 is nearing completion. I suggest you
study up on it.

Here's more info:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb190636.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/design/Voices/Detail.aspx?key=better_web_wpfe&voice=wpfe
http://channel9.msdn.com/tags/WPFE

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

xenu said:
[...]

No, actually WPF/E does not require .NET 3.0 for any users.
Instead there is a small plugin that must be downloaded once by users to
enable client support for WPF/E.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,