Future date avoids download?

AbrahamLincolnIllinois

Hi all.

I have a simulation on my webpage that requires very fast replacements
of one gif with another. I have preloaded my images. That caused a
vast speed improvement. It still is not quite fast enough, however. I
notice that it is completely fast enough when I tell my browser not to
check whether the files are out of date. Of course, I can't tell my
user to change his browser settings.

If I give all my gif files a date in 2007, will my browser (or some
browsers) decide that they don't need to check for a newer version? I
could test and find out, I suppose, but the difference is subtle and
depends on whether my ISP is having a good day. Has anyone tried this?

Regards,

Rick

AbrahamLincolnIllinois

Hm. Interesting idea, Dr. Clue. Sounds challenging, though. Is there
an example of this "shuffling rather than loading" on line or in a
book?

Regards,

Rick