future of computing languages

Discussion in 'Python' started by jelle, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. jelle

    jelle Guest

    jelle, Jan 29, 2005

  2. jelle

    Peter Hansen Guest

    jelle wrote:
    > Quite suprised while reading the Amazin c2.com Wiki:
    >
    > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FutureOfProgrammingLanguages
    >
    > Take a look, and feel incredible good about yourself & your decision to
    > opt for python. Did work for me. Cheers, Jelle.

    Sorry, but it's an annoyingly long page filled with what
    appear to be a random collection of wild predictions about
    the future, and Python is barely mentioned in any case.

    Perhaps you could take the time to write a little about
    just *what* you found so "Amazin"...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jan 29, 2005

  3. I found that page very shallow and superficial. What they
    call "the language of the future" is actually the language
    of the present. Python (but also, Ruby, Perl, Smalltalk, Lisp,
    Scheme, ...) have already most of the features they list.

    Then they claim "the language of the future will be so
    different from the languages we have now that we cannot
    imagine how it will be". This is pretty naive. A Lisper would
    say that nothing new happened in the last 40 years.

    Actually, I think that something new happened, but not that much.
    The progress was more in the technology than in the
    programming paradigms. I mean, OO was already there
    in Simula. It this very possible that the language of 2045
    will not be very different from the current dynamic languages.

    The all page reminds me of the excitation of 60's about the
    space program (affirmations such "in the year 2000 we will
    have colonies on Mars") We all know how it ended :-(
    Michele Simionato

    Michele Simionato, Jan 31, 2005