Future Warning with Negative Int

brianlum

Hi,

If I try to print a negative integer as a hexadecimal, I get the
following error:
FutureWarning: %u/%o/%x/%X of negative int will return a signed string
in Python 2.4 and up

For example:__main__:1: FutureWarning: %u/%o/%x/%X of negative int will return a
signed string in Python 2.4 and up
FFFFFFFF

Does that mean that in the future it will say -1 or -FFFFFFFF? Also,
how do I suppress this warning?

Thanks,
Brian

Peter Otten

If I try to print a negative integer as a hexadecimal, I get the
following error:
__main__:1: FutureWarning: %u/%o/%x/%X of negative int will return a
signed string in Python 2.4 and up
FFFFFFFF

Does that mean that in the future it will say -1 or -FFFFFFFF?

The future is now:

$ python2.4 -c 'print "%X" % -1'
-1
Also, how do I suppress this warning?

With the -W option:

$ python2.3 -W ignore -c 'print "%X" % -1'
FFFFFFFF

or warnings.filterwarnings('ignore').

http://docs.python.org/lib/warning-functions.html

has more on the subject.