    From: Fuzzyman [mailto:]
    Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 8:35 AM
    Subject: Re: Good IDE for Python

    Grégoire Dooms <> wrote in message news:<40cc1b05$0$41764$>...
    > Kamilche wrote:
    > > I love Python, but I'm less than in love with IDLE. It's OK, but it
    > > really doesn't have enough capabilities.
    > >
    > > What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
    > > colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
    > > that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined, if
    > > possible. Everything else I could learn to do without, but these
    > > features keep me hoping for a better IDE for Python.
    > >
    > > I'm used to the Microsoft Visual C++ debugger, and though tooltip
    > > variable debugging and intellisense were nice, they broke often enough
    > > that you couldn't rely on them anyway, so I don't really need those
    > > features.
    > >
    > > I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
    > > I'm on a Windows XP machine.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on what I should install next?

    > This patch to IDLE improves it a bit:
    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=906702&group_id=5470&atid=305470
    >
    > It adds among other things the pop-down function list.
    > It's a little cumbersome to apply but the result is quite good.
    > I've been using it for a few days and I'm quite happy with it.
    > I may provide a patch against python 2.3.3 or another version if someone
    > is interrested.
    >
    > If you are interresed, I made a smaller patch adding the qualified name
    > autocompletion (module.<Alt-/>functions). But the former patch does it
    > better (it even supports filename autocompletion).

    This looks *very* interesting.
    How do you apply a patch like this ?

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fred Allen, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Fred Allen

    Fuzzyman Guest

    "Fred Allen" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Dear Michael,
    >
    > I've searched fruitlessly for your recommended IDLE patch's download
    > point. While I am probably only slightly slower than the average python
    > programmer, I expect that others, no less witless than I, have had
    > similar experience. Would you please post either explicit instructions
    > by which I (we) can find the download. With thanks in advance, I am,
    >
    > Gratefully,
    >
    > Fred Allen

    Hello Fred,

    In actual fact I replied to Gregoire (?) asking how to *apply* the
    patch (I did succeed in downloading it though !)... it's not actually
    my patch. Whilst I've managed to download the patch I haven't a clue
    what to do with it... and I was hoping Greg would let me know.....

    If you go to :
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=906702&group_id=5470&atid=305470

    Right at the bottom there is a heading saying 'Attached Files'. Below
    this it says :
    syntaxdiffs Diffs agains CVS in 29.02.04 Download

    Needless to say the download link.. is the download one. The actual
    link is :

    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=5470&atid=305470&file_id=78388&aid=906702

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Hi,

    You need the 'patch' program to apply a patch, the 'diff' program to
    produce one.
    If you are under windows you should get cygwin at http://www.cygwin.com/
    though you could maybe get a standalone diff and patch program for windows.

    I've set-up an archive of the patched files in the Lib/idlelib directory
    for you to download the files affected by the patch:
    get it at http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~dooms/idle-syntax-patched-files.zip
    just unzip and copy the files in your idlelib dir.

    HTH
    --
    Grégoire Dooms

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E9goire_Dooms?=, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Fred Allen

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Grégoire Dooms <> wrote in message news:<40cf1b0d$0$41758$>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > You need the 'patch' program to apply a patch, the 'diff' program to
    > produce one.
    > If you are under windows you should get cygwin at http://www.cygwin.com/
    > though you could maybe get a standalone diff and patch program for windows.
    >
    > I've set-up an archive of the patched files in the Lib/idlelib directory
    > for you to download the files affected by the patch:
    > get it at http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~dooms/idle-syntax-patched-files.zip
    > just unzip and copy the files in your idlelib dir.
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > Grégoire Dooms

    Thanks Greg,

    Very helpful... as soon as I've transferred the files from this
    rickerty old internet box I'll try it immediately...

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Jun 16, 2004