    From: Chris Kaynor []
    Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 7:44 PM
    To: Echavarria Gregory, Maria Angelica
    Subject: Re: MemoryError, can I use more?

    A 32 bit app can only use 4 GB of memory itself (regardless of the amount of system ram), the OS claims some of this for the system, dlls occupy some of it, etc. As such, the app can only really use a smaller subset (generally between 2 to 3 GB, depending upon the app and the OS).

    Chris

    On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Echavarria Gregory, Maria Angelica <<mailto:>> wrote:
    Dear group:

    I am developing a program using Python 2.5.4 in windows 32 OS. The amount of data it works with is huge. I have managed to keep memory footprint low, but have found that, independent of the physical RAM of the machine, python always gives the MemoryError message when it has occupied exactly only 2.2 GB. I have tested this in 4 different machines, all with memory of 3 to 4 GB... I'm amazed.

    Could any of you please help me to figure out how to change that limit? I typed help(MemoryError) and it is a class itself, but that help told me nothing I can use...

    Thanks,
    Angelica.

    Echavarria Gregory, Maria Angelica, Feb 15, 2010