FW2.0 + IIS5.1 error - unable to load /LM/W3SVC - unreadable metadata???

S.Tedeschi

Hi all guru,
for sure I'm too old for a bunch of no-sleep-nights. M$' drivin' me
nut.
Switching my ASP.NET 1.1 apps to 2.0 has made me tryin' for several
days with no success.
-My IIS5.1 (Xp Media Center, SP2) refuses to serve even the simplest
aspx page (1 button + 1 textBox), rendering only "Server Application
Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application
during the processing of your request"
-Service log reports:Il server non è in grado di caricare
l'applicazione '/LM/W3SVC'. Errore: 'Impossibile trovare i metadati
specificati. (The server is not able to load '/LM/W3SVC'. Error:
'Impossible to find specified metadata')
-I can see metadata using 'cscript adsutil.vbs ENUM', and they are not
quite different in confront of a working server
-I've set ASPNET, and Machine\ASPNET, permissions to Administrators,
from user console and using 'aspnet_regiis -ga'
-I've used 'aspnet_regiis -i' from the FW2.0 path
-I've deinstalled FW1.1 using 'aspnet_regiis -u' from 1.1 path
-Authentication mode is set to "Windows"
-IIS ASP.NETmode i set to 2.0.50727 for default sites and all sub-
sites
-I've re-installed O.S.(formatting HD), then FW2.0, then IIS5.1, then
VS2005, at least 3 times
-I've read tons of NG, followed advices and tricks
ALL ATTEMPTS HAD NO SUCCESS

My choices are:
1)Use my shotgun (Maybe not a good choice: who's going to clean-up my
environment?)
2)Instead of upgrading to .NET2.0, downgrade to Mono, and use Linux
3)Find someone smart and gentle enough to help me! Pls-pls-pls

Guest

Hi S,

Run the following command aspnet_regiis -lk it should return a list of all
the apps and .net versions.
Then check the .Net version currently running for your web site application
from IIS Administrator (usually a right click and ASP.NET tab)

Aris Houbavlis

S.Tedeschi

Thank you, Aris, for your reply;
checking ASP.NET version consistently (running aspnet_regiis -lk and
from IIS management consolle, ASP.NET tab) returns 2.0.50272 for root
and the only two, very very simple, apps now installed.

Aris Houbavlis ha scritto:

Guest

In the IIS manage console, do u have the Execute Permissions set to None,
Scripts Only or Scripts and Executables?
Also in the Directory Security what Authentication Methods are selected?
Anonymous access with Integrated Windows authentication, or other.
Try popping in a simple hello world html page and see if u can hit it from
your browser to rule out access issues.

S.Tedeschi

In the IIS manage console, do u have the Execute Permissions set to None,
Scripts Only or Scripts and Executables?
Also in the Directory Security what Authentication Methods are selected?
Anonymous access with Integrated Windows authentication, or other.
Try popping in a simple hello world html page and see if u can hit it from
your browser to rule out access issues.

- Mostra testo tra virgolette -

Hi Aris;
Execution permissions are set to Script AND Executables; read/write
only "Read", and even setting all check-boxes changes nothing.
Authentication methods are "Anonymous" AND Windows Integrated.
Simple, or complex, only-Html pages are served correctly, even if
created by VS2005.
Even the simplest aspx page renders as Http500.