    Subject: Beta testers needed for a high performance Python application
    server
    Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:31:39 +0000
    From: Minor Gordon <>

    Hello all,

    I'm looking for beta testers for a high performance, event-driven Python
    application server I've developed.

    About the server: the front end and other speed-critical parts of the
    server are written in portable, multithreaded C++. The back end is an
    embedded CPython interpreter. The server is much faster than anything in
    pure Python, and it can compete with C servers (including e.g. lighttpd
    for file workloads) or outdo them (e.g. anything behind Apache) until
    CPython consumes a single processor. On the Python side it supports WSGI
    (the server can handle the static and dynamic requests of MoinMoin with
    a handful of lines), the DB API with blocking calls offloaded to a
    connection in a separate thread (MySQL, SQLite supported), Google's
    ctemplate, gzipping responses, file caching, reading and writing to URIs
    as a client, AJAX integration, debugging as a Python extension, and a
    lot of other features. The core Python API is event-driven, using
    continuations like Twisted but much cleaner (continuations are any
    callables, there are no special objects anywhere). The Python back end
    also supports Stackless Python so all of the continuation machinery can
    be hidden behind tasklet switching.

    Background: I'm in this to help write a "story" for Python and web
    applications. Everyone likes to go on about Ruby on Rails, and as far as
    I can tell there's nothing that approaches Rails in Python. I want to
    code quickly in Python like I can with Rails, but without sacrificing
    single node performance on many cores.

    Beta testers: should be intermediate to advanced Python programmers with
    demanding applications, particularly web applications with databases and
    AJAX. The C++ is portable to Win32, Linux, and OS X, with no mandatory
    libraries beyond python-dev.

    Please contact me if you're interested: firstname.lastname at cl.cam.ac.uk.

    Minor

    Minor Gordon, Mar 25, 2008