Fwd: Re: Date different

steve

----- Begin Forwarded Message -----

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:39:49 GMT
Subject: Re: Date different
From: Roedy Green <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer

Their mapping of Date to Date, is just crass and lacks thought.
it should be mapped not based on the name, but on the data it returns,
not doing that results in loss of information.

Maybe the next layer of Chinese menu in JDBC will let you define your own
custom conversion functions both ways between Java classes and primitives and
what the database offers to help you get past goofy stuff like this.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

----- End Forwarded Message -----

actually the sql timestamps are the correct way round for chinese
YYYY/MM/DD time:

Steve

Roedy Green

well they have been doing it for the last 1,000 years , so that would predate
the standard ;-)

The dashes were the ISO idea, a guess as an added hint this was not
one of the several /-date formats. The Canadian government used
yyyy.mm.dd at one point. I'd have to check if they have flipped to
ISO. That one might have been invented by a DSK typist (where . is a
very easy char to type).

I had a quick look at counting in Chinese. It looked so regular, it
could have been something a programmer would have invented, lacking
only base 16. Northern Europeans have the most irregular naming
systnem for numbers.

see http://mindprod.com/applets/inwords.html
for examples. (sorry no Chinese, but there is Japanese).