Fwd: Re: Writing solid code book

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jeremy Dillworth, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. --- "John J. Lee" <> wrote:
    > (post400) writes:
    >
    > > there is another famous book 'Writing solid code' but does it apply to
    > > Python ? Or it's usable only by Microsoft C programmers ? The author
    > > seems to be an ex-Microsoft guy !

    > Never read it, but from the blurb about and extract from it in my copy
    > of Code Complete it certainly sounds pretty focused on C.
    >
    > The Python Cookbook is the first book I'd have on my list if I were
    > learning Python now (O'Reilly, eds. Martelli & Ascher).
    >

    > John

    I agree! Python cookbook is a must-have for any [aspiring] Python
    programmer.

    Writing solid code is more about avoiding errors though, I don't see
    that covered in the cookbook. Unless I missed some recipes...

    Perhaps something like Kent Beck's _Test Driven Development_ would
    be more easily applicable to Python than Writing Solid code.
    (self.disclaimer = "Have not read it personally")
    Jeremy Dillworth, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Jeremy Dillworth

    yaipa h. Guest

    > Perhaps something like Kent Beck's _Test Driven Development_ would
    > be more easily applicable to Python than Writing Solid code.
    > (self.disclaimer = "Have not read it personally")

    Yes, but unfortunately, I have found Kent's 'xUnit'
    (python example chapters) code to be quite buggy.

    see:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...06262143.4c5735d5%40posting.google.com&rnum=1

    I was going to write an errata, but found that to do so,
    I would have to write the chapters over from scratch.
    At which point I decided that it was time to move on and
    get some work done.

    --Alan

    yaipa h., Sep 5, 2003