FxCop App Security

Velvet

I ran FxCop on one of the components for my web site and the security rules
what me to add "[assembly: Security Permission()] tags like the ones listed
below:

[assembly: SecurityPermission(SecurityAction.RequestMinimum, Execution =
true)]

[assembly: PermissionSet(SecurityAction.RequestOptional, Name = "Nothing")]

This breaks my ASP.NET application. So my question is, what should these
tags be when used in a .NET application? I haven't found much information
on this so if I could get more info on it in relation to ASP.NET that would
be great.

thanks,
Velvet

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi velvet,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
As for the security related warning you get when using fxcop to validate
your assembly, they're just some best practice for develping .net
application. .NET use Code Access Security to restrict and validate our
code's permission. For the two attributres you mentioend:

[assembly: SecurityPermission(SecurityAction.RequestMinimum, Execution =
true)]
=====================
This is used to indicate the minimum permissions your assembly require...
This can help the end user or administrator to get how much permission they
need to grant to your assembly.... through .NET CAS policy

[assembly: PermissionSet(SecurityAction.RequestOptional, Name = "Nothing")]
========================
The SecurityAction.RequestOptional flag allows you to request a set of
permissions while refusing all other permissions the runtime otherwise
might have been willing to give. By contrast, the RequestRefuse flag allows
you to refuse permissions by explicitly specifying which ones your code
should not be granted.

And here are some other msdn reference discussing on .net CAS:

#An Overview of Security in the .NET Framework
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/netframesecover.asp?fr
ame=true

#Programming .NET Code Access Security
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnhcvs03/html/hcvs03a11.asp?frame=tr
ue

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/11/CodeAccessSecurity/default.as
px?side=true#a

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Velvet" <[email protected]>
| Subject: FxCop App Security
| Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:31:57 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I ran FxCop on one of the components for my web site and the security
rules
| what me to add "[assembly: Security Permission()] tags like the ones
listed
| below:
|
| [assembly: SecurityPermission(SecurityAction.RequestMinimum, Execution =
| true)]
|
| [assembly: PermissionSet(SecurityAction.RequestOptional, Name =
"Nothing")]

| This breaks my ASP.NET application. So my question is, what should these
| tags be when used in a .NET application? I haven't found much
information
| on this so if I could get more info on it in relation to ASP.NET that
would
| be great.
|
| thanks,
| Velvet

Velvet

The problem is, this applies to normal .NET apps and not ASP.NET apps. I
need ASP specific information as this need to be executed on the web server.

I have run some searches on the subject but haven't found any useful
information on what security settings should be used when running the app on
the web server.

Velvet

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| Subject: FxCop App Security
| Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:31:57 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I ran FxCop on one of the components for my web site and the security
rules
| what me to add "[assembly: Security Permission()] tags like the ones
listed
| below:
|
| [assembly: SecurityPermission(SecurityAction.RequestMinimum, Execution =
| true)]
|
| [assembly: PermissionSet(SecurityAction.RequestOptional, Name =
"Nothing")]

| This breaks my ASP.NET application. So my question is, what should
these
| tags be when used in a .NET application? I haven't found much
information
| on this so if I could get more info on it in relation to ASP.NET that

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Velvet,

yes, the FxCop is surely applying to all .net code, not specify to ASP.NET,
so it'll apparently display all the warnings or errors if you includes that
certain rules.....

And if you're focus on ASP.NET specific .NET CODE Access security, you may
have a look at the ASP.NET Trust Level setting which control the ASP.NET
application's .net code access security:

#trustLevel Element for securityPolicy (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/as399f0x.aspx

Here are some further reference on ASP.NET CAS:

#Chapter 9 ¨C Using Code Access Security with ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/THCMCh09.asp?frame=tru

#How To: Use Code Access Security in ASP.NET 2.0
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000017.asp?frame=tr
ue

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Velvet" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: FxCop App Security
| Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:57:36 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| The problem is, this applies to normal .NET apps and not ASP.NET apps. I
| need ASP specific information as this need to be executed on the web
server.

| I have run some searches on the subject but haven't found any useful
| information on what security settings should be used when running the app
on
| the web server.
|
| Velvet
|
| | > Hi velvet,
| >
| > Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| > As for the security related warning you get when using fxcop to validate
| > your assembly, they're just some best practice for develping .net
| > application. .NET use Code Access Security to restrict and validate our
| > code's permission. For the two attributres you mentioend:
| >
| > [assembly: SecurityPermission(SecurityAction.RequestMinimum, Execution =
| > true)]
| > =====================
| > This is used to indicate the minimum permissions your assembly
require...
| > This can help the end user or administrator to get how much permission
| > they
| > need to grant to your assembly.... through .NET CAS policy
| >

| > [assembly: PermissionSet(SecurityAction.RequestOptional, Name =
| > "Nothing")]
| > ========================
| > The SecurityAction.RequestOptional flag allows you to request a set of
| > permissions while refusing all other permissions the runtime otherwise
| > might have been willing to give. By contrast, the RequestRefuse flag
| > allows
| > you to refuse permissions by explicitly specifying which ones your code
| > should not be granted.
| >
| > And here are some other msdn reference discussing on .net CAS:
| >
| > #An Overview of Security in the .NET Framework

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/netframesecover.asp?fr
| > ame=true
| >
| > #Programming .NET Code Access Security

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnhcvs03/html/hcvs03a11.asp?frame=tr
| > ue

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/11/CodeAccessSecurity/default.as
| > px?side=true#a
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Velvet" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: FxCop App Security
| > | Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:31:57 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | I ran FxCop on one of the components for my web site and the security
| > rules
| > | what me to add "[assembly: Security Permission()] tags like the ones
| > listed
| > | below:
| > |
| > | [assembly: SecurityPermission(SecurityAction.RequestMinimum,
Execution =
| > | true)]
| > |
| > | [assembly: PermissionSet(SecurityAction.RequestOptional, Name =
| > "Nothing")]
| > |
| > |
| > | This breaks my ASP.NET application. So my question is, what should
| > these
| > | tags be when used in a .NET application? I haven't found much
| > information
| > | on this so if I could get more info on it in relation to ASP.NET that
| > would
| > | be great.
| > |
| > | thanks,