    When I send my next program to a my buddy who uses MacOS X, I want to
    know if the program is going to run, or not.

    Thank you.

    Chad Wilson, Apr 1, 2007

  2. Chad Wilson

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On 3/31/07, Chad Wilson <> wrote:

    > Pardon the newbie Ruby question, but is FXRUBY included with all
    > distro's of Ruby? I have been experimenting with Ruby doing
    > character-based stuff, but now I want to begin doing some basic
    > graphical UI.
    >
    > When I send my next program to a my buddy who uses MacOS X, I want to
    > know if the program is going to run, or not.

    FXRuby is not part of the standard Ruby library, but I'm not sure if
    that's the question that you're asking.

    FXRuby is included with the Ruby One-Click installer for Windows,
    which includes not only the standard Ruby distribution but also a
    number of third-party libraries (such as FXRuby).

    FXRuby runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, so yes, your friend would
    be able to run programs that you've written -- as long as he installs
    FXRuby first. As far as I know, there's no package like the one-click
    installer for Mac OS X.

    Hope this helps,

    Lyle
    Lyle Johnson, Apr 1, 2007

  3. Chad Wilson

    Chad Wilson Guest

    > FXRuby runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, so yes, your friend would
    > be able to run programs that you've written -- as long as he installs
    > FXRuby first. As far as I know, there's no package like the one-click
    > installer for Mac OS X.
    >
    > Hope this helps,

    That is EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

    -w

    Chad Wilson, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Who needs one click installers when you have gems? Does gems come
    default on OS X? I have gems on it but I can't remember whether I
    installed it myself or if it came with the computer.

    Wim
    Wim Vander Schelden, Apr 1, 2007
  5. Chad Wilson wrote:
    > Pardon the newbie Ruby question, but is FXRUBY included with all
    > distro's of Ruby?

    No. It's not included, and installing it can be quite complicated on
    some platforms.

    Have you thought about using TK? It should be included in every Ruby
    installation, it even works on Mac OS X out of the box.

    Andreas Schwarz, Apr 1, 2007
  6. Wim Vander Schelden wrote:
    > Who needs one click installers when you have gems?

    Ever tried "gem ruby -r -y" on the Windows command line where no Ruby is
    installed?
    That's why: Not all OSes or Linux distros come with Ruby installed per
    default, or don't have a current version in their packet management
    repositories. While you can compile Ruby under Linux (doing so is mostly
    trivial), Windows users aren't so lucky.

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
    http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #48:

    The number of items on a project's to-do list always grows or remains
    constant.
    Phillip Gawlowski, Apr 1, 2007