    http://www.pyBoards.com

    Tell me what you think,
    Kyle
    Kyle Babich, Jul 4, 2003

  2. A bit a pitty the message board system is php based..

    Does anyone know about message board systems written in python?

    Ben.

    Behrang Dadsetan, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Kyle Babich

    Tyler Eaves Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:27:21 +0100, Behrang Dadsetan wrote:

    > A bit a pitty the message board system is php based..

    > Ben.

    Why? Right tool for the job and all that...
    Tyler Eaves, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Kyle Babich

    Wilk Guest

    Tyler Eaves <> writes:

    > On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:27:21 +0100, Behrang Dadsetan wrote:
    >
    > > A bit a pitty the message board system is php based..

    > > Ben.

    > Why? Right tool for the job and all that...

    It's not the right tool, php board system are very heavy to host. A
    webserver with in memory persistence data will be ideal for this kind of
    things.
    They exists in zope i think, but it's a little bit heavy also... We have
    a lot of webserver in python, we shall do somethings !

    With google i found this one :
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tboard
    "Design Goals (In short: a phpBB clone with various power-ups)"

    --
    William Dode - http://flibuste.net
    Wilk, Jul 4, 2003
  5. Kyle Babich

    Guyon Morée Guest

    Re: pyBoards.com

    I like the initiative for a messageboard for Python, but I think it would be
    similar to this newsgroup.... and I am quite happy with it so I don't
    really see a use for it imho

    Guyon Morée, Jul 4, 2003
  6. "Behrang Dadsetan" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > A bit a pitty the message board system is php based..
    >
    > Does anyone know about message board systems written in python?

    The right question is : "does the web tool comply the requirements ?"

    Personnally, I prefer phpMySQLadmin to most python stuff in that scope.
    Despite I prefer programming with Python.

    --Gilles
    Gilles Lenfant, Jul 4, 2003
  7. Re: pyBoards.com

    "Guyon Morée" <> wrote in message news:<3f054d9a$0$13803$>...
    > I like the initiative for a messageboard for Python, but I think it would be
    > similar to this newsgroup.... and I am quite happy with it so I don't
    > really see a use for it imho

    Message boards are more user friendly, better organized (big plus) and more
    interactive. At least when I post here from Google Groups, it takes
    3-6 hours for the message to arrive :p. Many questions thus are answered
    5 times by different people. But I don't know if the messages would arrive
    quicker if I used a mail program for posting.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hannu_Kankaanp=E4=E4?=, Jul 4, 2003
  8. Kyle Babich

    Paul McNett Guest

    Re: pyBoards.com

    Hannu Kankaanpää writes:

    > Message boards are more user friendly, better organized (big
    > plus) and more interactive. At least when I post here from
    > Google Groups, it takes 3-6 hours for the message to arrive
    > :p. Many questions thus are answered 5 times by different
    > people. But I don't know if the messages would arrive quicker
    > if I used a mail program for posting.

    Yes, using a mail program, I see responses immediately (within a
    couple minutes usually).

    --
    Paul McNett
    Paul McNett, Jul 4, 2003
  9. Kyle Babich

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Re: pyBoards.com

    Hannu Kankaanpää wrote:

    > "Guyon Morée" <> wrote in message news:<3f054d9a$0$13803$>...
    > > I like the initiative for a messageboard for Python, but I think it would be
    > > similar to this newsgroup.... and I am quite happy with it so I don't
    > > really see a use for it imho

    > Message boards are more user friendly, better organized (big plus) and more
    > interactive. At least when I post here from Google Groups, it takes
    > 3-6 hours for the message to arrive :p. Many questions thus are answered
    > 5 times by different people. But I don't know if the messages would arrive
    > quicker if I used a mail program for posting.

    Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
    in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
    by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
    "5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

    The mailing list should be effectively instantaneous in comparison.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Jul 4, 2003
  10. Kyle Babich

    Aahz Guest

    Re: pyBoards.com

    In article <>,
    Peter Hansen <> wrote:

    >Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
    >in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
    >by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
    >"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

    Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
    stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
    propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
    depending on where you're located.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    Usenet is not a democracy. It is a weird cross between an anarchy and a
    dictatorship.
    Aahz, Jul 4, 2003
  11. Kyle Babich

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Re: pyBoards.com

    Aahz wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
    > >in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
    > >by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
    > >"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

    > Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
    > stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
    > propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
    > depending on where you're located.

    That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
    hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
    list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
    cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
    Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...
    Peter Hansen, Jul 4, 2003
  12. Kyle Babich

    Aahz Guest

    Google's netnews speed (was Re: pyBoards.com)

    In article <>,
    Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    >Aahz wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
    >>>in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
    >>>by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
    >>>"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

    >> Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
    >> stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
    >> propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
    >> depending on where you're located.

    >That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
    >hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
    >list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
    >cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
    >Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...

    Peter, you're thinking less clearly than usual. ;-) My point was that
    the delay does *not* come from the time it takes to propagate to Google,
    but from the delay required to index and publish the index. Google's
    indexing technology is nothing short of amazing, but it is poor for
    realtime updating of the index. In the past, they have generally
    updated the index only twice per day -- and quite frankly, given *my*
    experience with full-text indexing (I used to work for Verity), I
    consider that to be *frequent* updating given how bloody fast Google's
    index is.

    Aahz, Jul 5, 2003
  13. Re: pyBoards.com

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:30:22 -0400, Peter Hansen <> wrote:

    >Aahz wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <>,
    >> Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
    >> >in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
    >> >by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
    >> >"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

    >> Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
    >> stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
    >> propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
    >> depending on where you're located.

    >That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
    >hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
    >list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
    >cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
    >Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...

    Well, compare just in this thread how stuff got to me
    (I broke paths with '\\' for clarity and removed return addresses):
    ===============================
    From: (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hannu_Kankaanp=E4=E4?=)
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

    From: Paul McNett
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

    From: Peter Hansen
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

    From: (Aahz)
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

    From: Peter Hansen
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
    Note that path from Peter was not the same both times.
    Then, looking at one of my own posts in another thread:

    From: (Bengt Richter)
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

    Regards,
    Bengt Richter
    Bengt Richter, Jul 5, 2003
  14. Kyle Babich

    Van Gale Guest

    Behrang Dadsetan wrote:
    > Does anyone know about message board systems written in python?
    >
    > Ben.

    I don't know of any polished ones, but there are a few for Zope/Plone.
    I don't have any links immediately handy other than
    (still-in-planning-stage?) Ploneboard:

    http://plone.org/Members/tesdal/PloneboardWiki/FrontPage

    There's also a minimal feature one called qxbb that I think is linked
    from the Quixote site.

    Van
    Van Gale, Jul 7, 2003