FYI: Webcontrols completely from a virtual directory (including the webctrl_client folder location)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Todd, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Todd

    Todd Guest

    There is a reference to the "webctrl_client" folder in the source file:
    C:\Program Files\IE Web Controls\src\BaseRichControl.cs

    If you need the webctrl_client folder to be completely under a virtual
    directory just change the code from:
    private const string DefaultCommonFilesRoot = "/webctrl_client/";
    to:
    private const string DefaultCommonFilesRoot =
    "/VirtualDIR/webctrl_client/";

    Then:
    1. Recompile Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll.
    2. Move the newly compiled DLL back into the bin directory (or just use
    VS.NET to register it in your project).
    3. Move the webctrl_client folder under your VirtualDIR.
    4. Change the SystemImagesPath and ImageURL properties on the ASPX page to
    point at the new directory.

    Ideally this would be a variable that could be set rather than hardcoded in
    the compiled DLL, but I don't have time to figure that out now.

    <Todd />

    Todd, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Todd

    Eric Guest

    Re: Webcontrols completely from a virtual directory (including the webctrl_client folder location)

    The location of the IE Web Control scripts can be controlled via Web.config
    settings. Add the following to the <configuration> section. Just update
    the value to reflect your server and application name.

    <configSections>
    <section name="MicrosoftWebControls"
    type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler, System,
    Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />
    </configSections>

    <MicrosoftWebControls>
    <add key="CommonFiles" value="http://myserver/myapp/webctrl_client/1_0/"
    />