g++ multi threaded advice.

Discussion in 'C++' started by Dave, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi.

    I am new to theads and I wanted some advice on my client/server
    program on Linux.

    I want to create a CD database with this functionality.

    1. Multiple client requests for the same CD don't require a trip to
    the database for the same CD. ie 3 requests for "ZZ Tops" = 1 DB read.
    By storing it in memory.

    2. A process that changes the price for the "ZZ Tops" cd notifies the
    client requests that the data has changed and another DB read is
    required.

    So I thought of this.
    A multi-thread app with 2 public variables 1 called Request_Status
    (either OK or DB Read required) the other called CD id Number. So both
    process 1 and process 2 can communicate with each other.

    Sound ok?

    Thanks
    Dave, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Dave

    Jack Klein Guest

    On 5 Apr 2004 19:46:07 -0700, (Dave) wrote in
    comp.lang.c++:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I am new to theads and I wanted some advice on my client/server
    > program on Linux.
    >
    > I want to create a CD database with this functionality.
    >
    > 1. Multiple client requests for the same CD don't require a trip to
    > the database for the same CD. ie 3 requests for "ZZ Tops" = 1 DB read.
    > By storing it in memory.
    >
    > 2. A process that changes the price for the "ZZ Tops" cd notifies the
    > client requests that the data has changed and another DB read is
    > required.
    >
    > So I thought of this.
    > A multi-thread app with 2 public variables 1 called Request_Status
    > (either OK or DB Read required) the other called CD id Number. So both
    > process 1 and process 2 can communicate with each other.
    >
    > Sound ok?
    >
    > Thanks

    The topic of this newsgroup is the standard C++ language, which does
    not define or support any sort of threads. You want to ask this in

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Apr 6, 2004