Gadfly DB in python standard library?

Brian O. Bush

A while ago, I recall hearing that Gadfly might be included into the
python standard library. What happened?

As I recall, the issue was the license.

Brian

Anthony Baxter

A while ago, I recall hearing that Gadfly might be included into the
python standard library. What happened?

As I recall, the issue was the license.

Not just the license - there's a hesitation about including a large,
complex piece of code without someone who's completely across it and
willing to support it. I attempted a while ago to do a major refactoring
of the gadfly internals to use more modern python idioms. This attempt
failed due to the complexity of the code and the lack of strong unit
tests of the gadfly internals.

This, more than the license (which I believe Aaron was quite happy to
address), was the main reason this didn't happen.

I believe there is still merit to including an SQL database being in
the standard distribution of python - personally I could live with
sqlite being included.

Anthony

A.M. Kuchling

I believe there is still merit to including an SQL database being in
the standard distribution of python - personally I could live with
sqlite being included.

+1 from me. In retrospect, it probably would have been more useful to add
sqlite than BerkeleyDB support to Python 2.3.

--amk

Jp Calderone

+1 from me. In retrospect, it probably would have been more useful to add
sqlite than BerkeleyDB support to Python 2.3.

FWIW, I'm glad bsddb is there :)

Jp

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

A.M. Kuchling said:
+1 from me. In retrospect, it probably would have been more useful to add
sqlite than BerkeleyDB support to Python 2.3.

Being the primary PySQLite maintainer, that's good to hear :)

-0 from me for adding either Gadfly or PySQLite to the standard Python
distribution. I can't see any merit in this.

I also see the danger of PySQLite/Gadfly being used for purposes they're
not appropriate if they're included in the standard distribution.

-- Gerhard