Gambit REPL app for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad

Discussion in 'Python' started by Marc Feeley, May 19, 2011.

  1. Marc Feeley

    Marc Feeley Guest

    A version of the Gambit Scheme system for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad is
    now available on the Apple App Store:

    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gambit-repl/id434534076?mt=8&ls=1

    "Gambit REPL" is a complete version of Gambit (http://
    dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit) including the interpreter, debugger
    and built-in library (but not the compiler). The standard REPL is
    provided and also a script editor. Scripts can be saved, attached to
    function keys, and the "main" function of the application can be
    redefined to customize the application to your needs. Applications
    can be debugged remotely by telneting to the device from a desktop
    machine.

    The application is sold for $0.99 as a demonstration that you can
    distribute on the App Store paid applications written in Scheme and
    containing an interpreter, something that wasn't clear with previous
    versions of the App Store developer agreement.

    A version of Gambit REPL for Android is not planned (by me). The
    Gambit Scheme system compiles fine on Android (for example see
    https://github.com/seoushi/gambit-android-example), but the user
    interface layer would have to be changed and tested, and I don't own
    an Android device. If someone wants to try porting Gambit REPL to
    Android let me know and I can help. The sources of Gambit REPL for
    iOS are in the examples/iOS subdirectory of the Gambit source
    distribution.

    Marc

    Marc Feeley, May 19, 2011