    Explain both please. What's the best way to pull from the file and set my
    variables, and what's the best way to add and pull from the registry?

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    Daniel Moree, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Daniel Moree wrote:

    > What would be the best way to store the controls of a game? Should it be
    > done in a INI or other type of file or should it be done in the registry.

    Very off-topic. The C++ language doesn't care much about the outside
    world, such as registries or files.

    > Explain both please. What's the best way to pull from the file and set my
    > variables, and what's the best way to add and pull from the registry?

    Since this is platform specific, your best answers will come from
    posting to a platform specific newsgroup or the generic
    news:comp.programming. Your issue is platform specific because
    I know of many workstations and embedded platforms that don't have
    registries.

    > Thanks for your help in advance.

    The ultimate answer to your question:
    Game "controls" or other information should be stored in
    non-volatile memory (NVM). NVM is memory that can survive
    loss of power. The location should be somewhere that your
    program can access and users can't. You don't want users
    changing the settings of your game, or do you?

    Text files have the advantage of being more platform
    independent than a binary file. However, a binary
    file is quicker to access because it doesn't require
    a translation (but it may need converting when porting
    to different platforms).

    I can't say what is best because that is a religious
    issue.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message: