Game programming for kids: looking for open source 2D game developmentkit

Max Kubierschky

Hello,

I'm planning to give a game programming course for kids of mixed age.
For this, I am looking for an open source 2D game development kit.
I am also willing to participate in the development of the development kit.

Features I'd like to see
- Possibility to construct simple games via drag and drop without programming
- Integration into an IDE
- Based on Java or Python
Pluses:
- Good Tutorial
- German documentation

Any Ideas?

Max

Laurent Pointal

Max Kubierschky a écrit :
Hello,

I'm planning to give a game programming course for kids of mixed age.
For this, I am looking for an open source 2D game development kit.
I am also willing to participate in the development of the development kit.

Features I'd like to see
- Possibility to construct simple games via drag and drop without
programming
- Integration into an IDE
- Based on Java or Python
Pluses:
- Good Tutorial
- German documentation

With Python:
* pygame + build your drag'n drop features
* if you like 3D, vpython.

http://www.pygame.org/
http://www.vpython.org/

Diez B. Roggisch

Max said:
Hello,

I'm planning to give a game programming course for kids of mixed age.
For this, I am looking for an open source 2D game development kit.
I am also willing to participate in the development of the development kit.

Features I'd like to see
- Possibility to construct simple games via drag and drop without
programming
- Integration into an IDE
- Based on Java or Python
Pluses:
- Good Tutorial
- German documentation

Squeak. Smalltalk, but especially targeted at your requirements.

http://www.squeak.org/

Diez

John Nagle

The Blender GameKit will do all that.

You can do simple games without programming.
There's a graphical integrated environment.
Programs can be written in Python.
There's a published book ("Blender GameKit")
German documentation may be hard to come by, though.

John Nagle

John Salerno

Laurent said:
With Python:
* pygame + build your drag'n drop features
* if you like 3D, vpython.

http://www.pygame.org/
http://www.vpython.org/

Wow, vpython looks pretty need. I'm messing around with it right now
and reading the docs. But I can't find something...do you know how to
clear the contents of the current scene? I checked the attributes of the
display, but there is nothing like "empty" that would do it.

Laurent Pointal

John said:
Wow, vpython looks pretty need. I'm messing around with it right now
and reading the docs. But I can't find something...do you know how to
clear the contents of the current scene?

No, I know about vpython existence, I tried demos but haven't used it (no
need).

You may use the development lists for such questions.

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=6013

A+

Laurent.

Paul Rudin

John Salerno said:
Wow, vpython looks pretty need. I'm messing around with it right now
and reading the docs. But I can't find something...do you know how to
clear the contents of the current scene? I checked the attributes of
the display, but there is nothing like "empty" that would do it.

for x in scene.objects:
x.visible = 0

?