Game Programming with Python, Lua and Ruby

Carsten Eckelmann

Just read this over at the Daily Python-URL!:

Tom Gutschmidt: Game Programming with Python, Lua, and Ruby
<http://www.courseptr.com/ptr_detail.cfm?isbn=1-59200-077-0>
[/"'Game Programming with Python, Lua, and Ruby' offers an in-depth look
at these three flexible languages as they relate to creating games. Each
language is covered in its own section - you'll begin with the basics of
syntax and style and then move on to more advanced topics. Suitable for
beginners, game developers, or programmers. Comes with finished and
tested open-source game code and scripts."/]

Cheers,
Carsten.

Shashank Date

Carsten Eckelmann said:
Just read this over at the Daily Python-URL!:

Tom Gutschmidt: Game Programming with Python, Lua, and Ruby

Just got my copy today !
The book has about 160 pages devoted to Python, 106 to Lua and 62 to Ruby.
Uses ruby180-10.exe for installing on Windows. Focuses on Ruby's OpenGL and
SDL wrappers along with FXRuby !

Hmmm ...
-- shanko

Carsten Eckelmann

Hi Shashank,

I would be very interested in your opinion on this book when you are
finished reading it. Could you then post some comments?
What's especially interesting is the ratio of "introduction to language
x" to "game design" and "how to do this in language x".

Cheers,
Carsten.

Shashank Date

Carsten Eckelmann said:
I would be very interested in your opinion on this book when you are
finished reading it. Could you then post some comments?

Absolutely ...
What's especially interesting is the ratio of "introduction to language
x" to "game design" and "how to do this in language x".

These are my first impressions (with only about 30 minutes of
leafing thru various sections):

* Diagrams and Captions do not match in many places.
* Language coverage is shallow and hardly any discussion on game design.
* Don't know about "How to do this in language X" but doesn't seem to be
strong in that area.

I haven't looked at the CD that came with it yet. Not overly impressed.
HTH,
Cheers,
Carsten.

-- Shashank