Game Programming

Discussion in 'Java' started by Upul Seneviratne, Sep 29, 2010.

  1. any one knows game programming, with java?

    Upul Seneviratne, Sep 29, 2010

  2. RedGrittyBrick, Sep 29, 2010

  3. "Upul Seneviratne" <> wrote in message
    > any one knows game programming, with java?

    well, I know some about game-programming in Java, although I have not done
    so (most of my games related experience is in C and C++, and most Java
    experience is not related to games).

    that said, usually one will use wrappers to gain a more capable interface
    for games-dev, for example, LWJGL:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lwjgl

    for example, the above was used in making Minecraft.

    or such...

    BGB / cr88192, Sep 29, 2010
  4. Upul Seneviratne

    sulai Guest

    Am 29.09.2010 11:21, Upul Seneviratne:
    > any one knows game programming, with java?

    For 2D games, Slick2D is a good start. It's based on lwjgl.

    sulai, Sep 30, 2010
  5. Upul Seneviratne

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 02:21:33 -0700 (PDT), Upul Seneviratne
    said :

    >any one knows game programming, with java?

    one of the things you might want to study is VolatileImage see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/volatileimage.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    You encapsulate not just to save typing, but more importantly, to make it easy and safe to change the code later, since you then need change the logic in only one place. Without it, you might fail to change the logic in all the places it occurs.

    Roedy Green, Oct 4, 2010
  6. "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:18:27 -0700, "BGB / cr88192"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Upul Seneviratne" <> wrote in message
    >>> any one knows game programming, with java?

    >>well, I know some about game-programming in Java, although I have not done
    >>so (most of my games related experience is in C and C++, and most Java
    >>experience is not related to games).
    >>
    >>that said, usually one will use wrappers to gain a more capable interface
    >>for games-dev, for example, LWJGL:
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lwjgl
    >>
    >>for example, the above was used in making Minecraft.

    > However Minecraft seems to run /very/ slowly.

    depends on the system...

    part of the issue seems to be that it also draws "teh crapload" of geometry,
    and so actually bogs down the GPU (especially lower-end Intel GPU's...).

    BGB / cr88192, Oct 4, 2010